• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4170 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah i put on WAY to much the first time, guess this is a part of learning.

still no peeps and still a red cpu light

"No peeps"? Do you mean "beeps"? Check for more paste in the socket. Check for bent pins on the CPU. Put it under a bright light and then turn it and angle it to allow the light to reflect at different angles. You may have bent some pins while cleaning. That is very easy to do.

give me a minute to drag mine back in and hook it up before you tear it out again as i remember it took over 1.4 at default.

tear the board out, strip it down, wash it in the sink real good and let it dry overnight then.

uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh, yea.
the tim in the socket is not just going to crawl out of there on it's own. tim hates hot water so this might encourage it to leave.

Contrary to what you might think, water is essentially not harmful to electronics as long as they are not wet and powered at the same time. And if the water were completely devoid of electrolytes you should theoretically be able to power them up even when wet. Of course, that would include no electrolytes produced from the dissolving of conductive substances on the components which is probably going to happen to some degree. Just make sure it's good and dry before you power up. Take a hair drier to it for a good amount of time. Don't put it through a dishwasher cycle or the clothes dryer, however.

If you have removed the ram then its best to clr the CMOS once you put them back in, and it looks like you have also removed the CPU which is another good reason to reset the CMOS on a restart. Almost everyone uses too much paste the first time but the guys here will keep you on the right track :thup:

you will be removing the battery and jumper anyway but here is a pick or two.

top pic is on the normal pins
bottom pic is on reset pins.

Attachments

• jumper in normal.JPG
    jumper in normal.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 29
  • jumper in reset.JPG
    jumper in reset.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 31
Nice shots mate, I would only wash the board as a last resort and you can normaly get tim off without washing the whole board, and if you need to wash it don't use soap, just hot water.

it was to nice of a day here (and the queen was in the big city for a day) to be inside so i pulled all my projects outside. i had enough stuff to do a simple build so i took lots of pics for how to put all the simple stuff in the box and not have it catch fire on boot.

I really like trents airflow pic, i wish all first timers would look at that.

Pictures speak a thousand words, and the new guys get a bit confused with all the different settings and acronyms that get fired around when trying to help them out, so I'm 100% sure those pics you took yesterday will come in handy on a number of occasions, :clap:

yea, after a while we forget how heartbreaking it is to press the go button on our first build just to hear the squeak of death.

I have only just learned to play with the ram. Rgone was kind enough to let me send him screenies of that from my bios, he just marked up things as 'no touch, and the others as ok. just doing that for me has been a really big help.

Last edited:
i'll try and put some water on the stove since my hot water heater is well not that hot.
i'm guessing anything under 140F is okay

i'm going to be busy the next few days i'll let you guys know how it worked out.

Back