• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4170 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Someone (RGone, I think) suggested squirting carb cleaner on to pasted CPU pins will work. Maybe it would work for a pasted socket, too. I would try that first. Less hassle and that stuff evaporates fast.

Someone (RGone, I think) suggested squirting carb cleaner on to pasted CPU pins will work. Maybe it would work for a pasted socket, too. I would try that first. Less hassle and that stuff evaporates fast.

Yes I use spray carb cleaner all the time, but I have used it for years and know what I am doing with it and I keep 'canned-air' at hand to blow the liquid out of the socket before it dries up or nothing is accomplished.

The spray carb cleaner will remove the silk-screen writing on the board if gotten on it. Like I said have done my cleaning for years. Know what and what not to do.

I use this cheaper brand as it does n0t evaporate so quickly and is cheap comparatively. I keep a few cans on hand at all times from the days I used to swap out cpus at least 5 times a week.

please don't put another cpu in that socket till you KNOW it has been cleaned out......
I use brake cleaner, carb cleaner has lube in it,brake cleaner leaves nothing behind.

the past may have been from my fingers,

but i think i know why its not working now....

looks like a short on the board or i dropped something on it putting on the new heat sink.

Oh well stuff dropped on the traces of the board maybe a bad thing.

its bad, i'm going to have to get a new board.
i called up Asus and they were really nice but said since i did it i'd be 120 bucks + what ever shipping wood be.

newegg has the R1 open box for 130 but no Warranty
and a Return for refund within: 30 days, after that i'd be in big doo doo if it fails.

I planing on getting the R2 of the board what you guys think?

Last edited:
if you will reset bios to default.
in aisuite i want to to adjust only 2 things.
#1 set cpu ratio to get 4400.
#2 set core voltage to 1.40.
stress test this for 30 minutes in prime 95 wathing core temps to besure that they stay at or below safe limits.

round 2

cpu 46c and cores 43c @4400MHz @1.4v much better temps i'd say

4.2ghz is stock! :p

Follow caddi's advice, reduce vcore notch by notch till you crash. Up it one more and prime, rinse and repeat till you are stable running prime95 small fft's for 30 min.

Back