• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

600lbs Steel I-Beam Desk/Computer Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes I am planning on that. I did it on the radiator side as well. I am putting the loop together first then deciding where to place the unions.

The only issue that I see is the placement of the flow meters. It looks to me like you'll have to get on the floor and crane your head around to read them. Otherwise.... This is awesome.

The only issue that I see is the placement of the flow meters. It looks to me like you'll have to get on the floor and crane your head around to read them. Otherwise.... This is awesome.
I should be able to see them okay. Even so I'm not going to look at them all the time lol.

UPDATE:

The piping layout is complete! Whoo hoo Now I need to solder it all.

In the process of laying out all the pipe work I realized I have no way of removing the PSU with the pipes laid out. I can't lower the PSU enough to get it under the bracket that holds it on. To fix this I'll be making it a quick-release style mount which will allow me to lift the entire PSU and mount straight up. I'm going to use pins to secure it in place. I'll also set it up to have a "service position" for cabling. This should make my life a lot easier during the cabling process. 202efb3b9a27ac7e542863c21666ecaa.jpg bef4edec1d9e8aa88f4d27518fab6fb7.jpg 1571afb61ed85db86ea99df3e1b1bd91.jpg 30c6e58d66fc6b8c8e9b8c5d62a7b6a2.jpg 9808309b78f21b100f630c4912a32d6c.jpg c04ccab3ec0d08189f2e77a2f1a9ebd9.jpg ed39933f54bddc8e04ce2ea0c4530a1f.jpg

Okay, Um Holy %^$!. Nice Work JL, as far as your earlier comment "but am quickly realizing how big of a project this really has been." Have you re-read you're build title? :D Anyway, kudos to you that must have taken quite a bit of patience!

I'm debating using a 50/50 lead solder for the fittings. Does anyone know if the lead will cause issues in the loop? It solders at such a low temp compared to the lead free stuff. Thanks!

I'm debating using a 50/50 lead solder for the fittings. Does anyone know if the lead will cause issues in the loop? It solders at such a low temp compared to the lead free stuff. Thanks!
I know some one who did a copper loop I'll send him a Pm and see if he has an answer.

Silver solder is stronger, but it really doesn't matter for this usage. It's not high pressure, nor is it likely to suffer jostling, etc.. Any high frequency vibration from the pumps shouldn't affect the solder for a few hundred years, at least.

The word "epic" gets thrown around a lot. This build is Epic.

lead or tin based solder will be problematic in a loop ....

are you dissembling this to sweat it all up ?

how high is you memory ? is there clearance ?

Thanks for the info.

Yes parts are coming out to get cleaned then sweat together.

Yes just barely clears but it does fit. I checked. Haha

Btw it says there is some tin in the solder I am using. Why would that be bad? Just curious as this is the first I've heard of that from the looking around I've done.

Tin rusts

have you considered Pro Press

sweating seems problematic to me ?

If set on solder look to silver

Tin rusts

have you considered Pro Press

sweating seems problematic to me ?

If set on solder look to silver
I don't want to do propress.

I'll be using anti-corrosive coolant from EKWB. I'm not worried about the inside rusting.

Using silver solder has crossed my mind but it requires a lot more heat to solder it.

Witchy would there be any concern for mixed metals with the solder(i.e. silver)? Not worried so much about corrosion if he's using an anti-corrosive, but thinking about deteriorating any nickle plated components.

Oops. I fogot the disparate metals issue, too. Higher silver content will alleviate that somewhat.

edit: Blaylock beat me to it. LOL

Last edited:
Oops. I fogot the disparate metals issue, too. Higher silver content will alleviate that somewhat.

It will actually make it worse. It can cause the copper to become nickle plated and strip the nickle from the GPU/CPU blocks.

I can't seem to find any info on tin reacting to nickel... anyone have links or ideas? I sent a message out to EKWB about it but haven't heard back yet.

can you simply get copper blocks instead of nickel plated blocks ?

I ca only assume this is not a lan party .......... :)

Back