• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6gb and 3gb cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

So in my search for an answer to this questions I kept getting 6gb vs 3gb video card comparisons. I understand that when you xfire or SLI you are only using the memory from one card. So two 3gb cards does not = 6gb of memory.

What I want to know is if you buy one 7970 6gb card and another 7970 3gb card. Will you be limited to 3gb or can you set it to use the memory from the one 6gb card?

That is not all true.

No 2 cards to not add up ram, but both cards use the ram the same.

If you buy 1 card with 6gb and one with 3gb, and hook them up on CFX, then you only have the use of 3gb.

Unless you have multiscreen setup, do not bother with 6gb. Personally i have 2x 7970 with 6GB, and i only have one game where i go above the 3Gb.

That is not all true.

No 2 cards to not add up ram, but both cards use the ram the same.

If you buy 1 card with 6gb and one with 3gb, and hook them up on CFX, then you only have the use of 3gb.

Unless you have multiscreen setup, do not bother with 6gb. Personally i have 2x 7970 with 6GB, and i only have one game where i go above the 3Gb.

Ok - thanks for the clarification. Was hoping I could cheat the system a little. I do play at 1440 and like to skip at least one generation of cards. So i'll be grabbing either the Gtx7xx or HD8xxx. You think 3gb will be sufficient over the next 2 years at that rez?

Depending what games you play this should give you some further answers and information as well. As to how much VRam you can use during certain games you play with. AJ. ;)

1, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718118

Enjoy the read and book mark the Info for future use! :thup:

Edit: To the Greens this should be in the AMD GPU Section, not the CPU section end of Edit:

Last edited:
Depending what games you play this should give you some further answers and information as well. As to how much VRam you can use during certain games you play with. AJ. ;)

1, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718118

Enjoy the read and book mark the Info for future use! :thup:

Edit: To the Greens this should be in the AMD GPU Section, not the CPU section end of Edit:

Wow never seen this. This is great info.

Back