• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8-phase power vs 16-phase power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheator

Hey, I know its sort of a mobo question but its directly related to CPUs, so I put it in here.

I have the chocie between a P5Q-E and a P5Q Deluxe mobo. I'd rather go for the P5Q-E because of the price, but it only has 8 phase power. The Deluxe is like 50 bucks more but has 16 phase power...

is it worth it to get the Deluxe? Will this make a big difference? Or is it only worth it for high clocking quads? I'll be dumping my e4500 soon for an e7400 or an e8400, probably not a quad.

If your going with quad, the 16-phase would be better. If not, the 8-phase is fine. I can't give the technical reasoning, but I believe it helps with stable vCore/vDroop etc etc etc...

I am sure the 8-phase would be easily good enough. Sure the 16-phase is better, that is why it costs more :p but really you don't need it unless you overclock a quad to the extreme.

If someone doesn't mind explaining the difference and the advantages, I'm just curious.

I remember a review online where it was stated that Asus' claimed '16 phase power' was not true 16-phase power... And there were no discernible differences between using 8-phase and 16-phase...

If I find the link I'll post it...

the number of phases is directly releated to the amount of current that can be supplied to the cpu. when the PWM or voltage reg's get hot voltage will drop to keep up with the current demand. with 16phase pwm you have up to 2 times the current that 8phase has. this doesnt mean you will be able to use that extra current but its there like a car that has a high HP engine. 16 phase does seem to offer on its own zero vdroop which means no needing to use the asus voltage dampener. As by using that feature limits the current to keep voltage high. the voltage supplied isnt the issue but the current, there were some people stating there ocs got better with this feature disabled. Ocing with zero vdroop wont be a issue now with a 16phase board. strictly speaking to the 2 boards in question, the 16phase will have twice the current because they both use the same number of voltage regulators per phase,ie 3 regs per choke making one phase. which is good for ocing with extreme cooling. A 8phase Pwm board will be overkill for a 65nm or 45nm cpu. 16phase would just be even more overkill, i would choose the 16phase board now if you have plans soon to go quad.

In short for a dual core 16phase isnt needed, if you only plan to stick with a dual core for a while. Get the P5Q-E or even just the P5Q, even the Gigabyte P43-DS3L at $99 looks good.

*edit*
Silencer,
if thats true that Asus is prolly gonna get sued about them stating 16phase power. esp if its not true 16phase...

the number of phases is directly releated to the amount of current that can be supplied to the cpu. when the PWM or voltage reg's get hot voltage will drop to keep up with the current demand. with 16phase pwm you have up to 2 times the current that 8phase has. this doesnt mean you will be able to use that extra current but its there like a car that has a high HP engine. 16 phase does seem to offer on its own zero vdroop which means no needing to use the asus voltage dampener. As by using that feature limits the current to keep voltage high. the voltage supplied isnt the issue but the current, there were some people stating there ocs got better with this feature disabled. Ocing with zero vdroop wont be a issue now with a 16phase board. strictly speaking to the 2 boards in question, the 16phase will have twice the current because they both use the same number of voltage regulators per phase,ie 3 regs per choke making one phase. which is good for ocing with extreme cooling. A 8phase Pwm board will be overkill for a 65nm or 45nm cpu. 16phase would just be even more overkill, i would choose the 16phase board now if you have plans soon to go quad.

In short for a dual core 16phase isnt needed, if you only plan to stick with a dual core for a while. Get the P5Q-E or even just the P5Q, even the Gigabyte P43-DS3L at $99 looks good.

*edit*
Silencer,
if thats true that Asus is prolly gonna get sued about them stating 16phase power. esp if its not true 16phase...
Thanks for that nice explanation! I am going for the P5Q-E over the vanilla for the third PCI-E 16 slot. It only runs at 4x but it should still be neat to try tri-fire.

For all the Q6600 and 9850s we've been running on 4-6 phases power. you will be able to get some nice clocks on 8 phase. We had a discussion about this running the otherday. Sure 16 is better but by how much? Like evil said, 16 will produce less heat which will result in tighter regulation.

I used to run my Q6600 @ 3.6GHz 1.4V with a three phase P5K, I don't see the need for 8 phase and definitely not 16 phase. I think it's more of a marketing trick than something that actually makes a difference.

I used to run my Q6600 @ 3.6GHz 1.4V with a three phase P5K, I don't see the need for 8 phase and definitely not 16 phase. I think it's more of a marketing trick than something that actually makes a difference.

i have to say this is a exception and that 3 phase pwm is really being stressed. it may not fail in 6months but i may fail in a 1-2years time. if you plan to keep it that long. the high heat can either, if hot enough, desolder the voltage regulators or cause the vregs to blow. just keep a eye on the board, it may be warping :eek:

ASUSTeK said:
ASUS True 16-Phase Power Design
Unprecedented Innovation with the best quality component for best performance
The breakthrough technology of 16-phase VRM design is bringing to the ASUS motherboards. 16-phase power design can reach the power efficiency up to 96%+, and dispel heat generated by VRM module effectively, and lower more temperature compared to other VRM solution. With the high quality power components such as low RDS (on) MOSFETs, Ferrite core chokes with lower hysteresis loss and 100% Japan-made high quality conductive polymer capacitors, ASUS 16-phase VRM design also ensure longer component life, minimum power loss, and help to reach the superior overclocking score ever than before.
So maybe there is some marketing hype mixed in. The more phases there are, the cooler each phase will run and the voltages will be more stable under high load conditions such as running 100% 24/7 loading while overclocking.

My Commando has an 8 phase VRM and that's one reason I got it. That and the solid caps that wont leak all over my board when I least expect it.

It's a great stable overclocker even though it's a P965 express.

So I'll definitely want the 16 phase vRM if I have to choose.

i have to say this is a exception and that 3 phase pwm is really being stressed. it may not fail in 6months but i may fail in a 1-2years time. if you plan to keep it that long. the high heat can either, if hot enough, desolder the voltage regulators or cause the vregs to blow. just keep a eye on the board, it may be warping :eek:

It's doing just fine :). I love my P5K, it can handle everything I throw at it and more.

EDIT: RMA is because of a bad flash, and I heat sinked the board and had a couple of 40mm around the NB and MOSFET area.

My P5Q deluxe arrived today. However i'm using an interim CPU, (P4 630 SL7Z9) until i get an E8400. Ive been out of the overclocking game for a while, i'm finally upgrading from the NF7-S/mobile 2500+ rig.

Any tips as to settings that apply to this board would be great.

My question though, Is the motherboard temp thats reported in Asus Probe II, on the board itself, or is it actually chipset temperature? And whats about the max temp before problems start?

Back