• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8-phase power vs 16-phase power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think with the 4850 in the 16x slot and the other two in the other slots might work.

I'm hoping... something strange though. I was under the impression that my 2x3850s should get about 15k in 3dm06 but I am consistently getting 12k! I thought my issue was the P35 board but it doesn't seem to be the case. I still get 12k with the new board.. any ideas? I should start a thread on it..

15 in 06 with what cpu speed? if the cpu is already fast enought to keep the GPU's with work. then the higher score is the result of cpu speed in 06. i dont see why people still think the 06 score or scores now, represent what to expect in gaming.

How can you tell if a motherboard is 8 phase or 16 phase? Do you find spec sheets for it or what? I've been wondering how people find this information.

How can you tell if a motherboard is 8 phase or 16 phase? Do you find spec sheets for it or what? I've been wondering how people find this information.

each phase on the board has a choke/inductor, either square or doughnut style. lower eng gigabytes tend to use 2 voltage regs per choke. higher end ones are 3 or 4 regs per choke. Asus tends to stick with 3 per choke as well as Abit.

Its on Asus' specs. look at the link above.

some will say the number of phases but for the most part they dont.

Attachments

• Asus P5Q Deluxe 16 phase VRM.jpg
    Asus P5Q Deluxe 16 phase VRM.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,019
  • Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard.jpg
    Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 985
Last edited:
Are we allowed to post pictures of open reactor cores in nuclear facilities.

Oh, my bad, I though that was fuel rods sticking out of that 775 socket surrounded my a bunch of heat exchangers and two racks of generators.
:D

Are we allowed to post pictures of open reactor cores in nuclear facilities.

Oh, my bad, I though that was fuel rods sticking out of that 775 socket surrounded my a bunch of heat exchangers and two racks of generators.
:D
I wouldn't mind that reactor sittin' next to me on my desktop :drool:
The fuel rods are hidden under the IHS of the Core 2 Quad ;)

Its been proven they can cool a reactor. Just look at the gtx280!

Btw, board seems fine. can't seem to get my CPU stable above 11x260 though. The more volts I pump in (at 1.3 right now in CPU-Z) the more unstable it gets. The more FSB I get, the more it likes to restart :). Not sure what the deal is.

8 vs 16

I remember a review online where it was stated that Asus' claimed '16 phase power' was not true 16-phase power... And there were no discernible differences between using 8-phase and 16-phase...

If I find the link I'll post it...

Was wondering if you ever confirmed this...

Thanks

16 power phase rating is mostly smoke and mirrors. It's really just 8 power phase with some kind of splitter that makes it 16 phase technically speaking but does not really improve on the power delivery. It's a marketing gimmick mostly. You will note that the highest end motherboards like the Savbertooth and the Crosshair have 8+2 ratings, not 16+2. Someone on this forum sent me a link to a couple of tutorials that explained all this as at the time I was all hyped up about getting a board with the highest power phase rating I could find. I got a 16+2 power phase board but the tutorials explained it was just hype. I didn't understand everything that was covered but I understood that much. Wish I could find them now.

16 power phase rating is mostly smoke and mirrors. It's really just 8 power phase with some kind of splitter that makes it 16 phase technically speaking but does not really improve on the power delivery. It's a marketing gimmick mostly. You will note that the highest end motherboards like the Savbertooth and the Crosshair have 8+2 ratings, not 16+2. Someone on this forum sent me a link to a couple of tutorials that explained all this as at the time I was all hyped up about getting a board with the highest power phase rating I could find. I got a 16+2 power phase board but the tutorials explained it was just hype. I didn't understand everything that was covered but I understood that much. Wish I could find them now.

Makes perfect sense. I'm between keeping the asus z87-plus I just got or exchanging it for the z87-pro. The plus has 8 phases as opposed to 12 on the pro. Is 12 also hype or is it valid, and if valid am I at a considerable advantage having 12 over 8?

Thanks again.

Makes perfect sense. I'm between keeping the asus z87-plus I just got or exchanging it for the z87-pro. The plus has 8 phases as opposed to 12 on the pro. Is 12 also hype or is it valid, and if valid am I at a considerable advantage having 12 over 8?

Thanks again.

There's probably no real world difference of having 12 over 8 either. If the power-hungry 8 core Bulldozers can run on 8 phase then I don't see why any Intel CPU would ever benefit from 12 phase design without overclocking the magic smoke out of it. :sly:

well as long as the 12 phase boards can do everything the 8 phase boards can i'd be happy. if they can do even more, then all the better.

A I recall, 8+2 power phase is the strongest VRM offering available, I mean true 8+2.

12+2 and 16+2 use tricks to claim a higher power phase rating but neither is electronic reality. The one possible benefit if I understood those videos correctly is to be able to put more components around the socket to balance out the heat pattern around the socket area of a poorly designed motherboard. It doesn't deliver more power.

Back