• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8700K build freezing in Max IBT on stock speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rannyd

The other day I built a new PC, specs are below:

Asus Prime Z370-A
8700K @ Stock (3.7), cooled by a Corsair H100i V2
Corsair Vengeance 2x8 3200 (But is at Stock)
PSU: EVGA 750W (exact model escapes me)
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe for boot
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SATA for storage

So here’s my problem. Or is it a problem? Let’s find out. As any new owner of an 8700K would do, I immediately attempted to overclock it to 5GHz, and was initially successful with 1.36 VCore. I got this “success” from 20 loops of Intel Burn Test on Standard settings. Once I finished that I was feeling pretty good, but decided to run Maximum settings too, which uses more RAM. I never got a specific failure message, but my machine definitely froze a few times and I ended the test because it spooked me.

So I took my OC down a bit in both clock and voltage, IIRC it was 4.8 at 1.3 voltage. Similar story. Freezes on max.

So then I decided for the hell of it to do IBT Max on fully standard settings. I’m talking stock speeds and voltages on both my processor AND RAM. The RAM was over clocked to its advertised speeds of 3200 for the two overclocking attempts.

To my surprise the freezing still happened with fully stock everything.

Now, I know that IBT Max is a far bigger load then I would EVER need on this PC, considering it’s basically for gaming and a bit of streaming to twitch here and there. But I find it strange that this freezing is happening at stock. Again, my PC never crashed, BSOD, or gave me a failure message for the stress test, but I never ran it long enough to get a success either.

Also, I ran 4 loops of MemTest86 and my RAM appears to be fine.

Soooo what could be happening here? Should I be worried? I haven’t experienced any performance issues whatsoever when gaming (constant 300 FPS in CSGO, 140 FPS in PUBG for a two hour session), but I want to make sure it’s even save for me to overclock at this point.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

Freezing on max is normal. ;)

Really? Would freezing not point towards system instability?

Also I just tried out Prime95 Small FFTs ar 4.8/1.29 and it immediately shoots up to like 85. Maybe I just lost the silicon lottery.

Its temporary freeze, right? Meaning your system wont respomd then responds again? For some reason that is how i took it...

Its temporary freeze, right? Meaning your system wont respomd then responds again? For some reason that is how i took it...

Thats correct. Its never gotten to a point where I need to force shut off the computer. It always unfreezes and I am able to stop the test.

No actual crashes have happened. Just freezes, which generally last 5 seconds or so. But in those freezes I am not able to do anything with my PC

Okay! Thanks for the replies.

Do you know if theres any known issues with small fft's on prime 95 with Coffee Lake? Even on full stock, this thing is going up to around 75-80 and seems to be throttling down as far as 3.3GHz.

Any other stress test, including IBT on max, doesn't go much higher than 65 on stock. But even those are throttling down to 4GHz. (I know that is technically higher than the base clock of the 8700K though.)

Its the avx instructions doing it in p95.

3.3 is below base clock though, right? If so, its throttling something. Have intel xtu up amd run p95 with it. Xtu shows throttle reasons at the bottom.

Yeah. Base is 3.7.

Could you ELI5 what AVX is? I've never even heard of that.

Lol, you got a point there.

I ran small FFT's with XTU open and it turns out its "Power Limit Throttling", on stock. Weird.

Sorry, im just mobile... so it was easier to just drop the whole search. :)

Its likely when it hits avx instructions its raising vcore.

Last edited:
Oh no, no need to apologize. To be fair, Googling IS the best way to get information. Haha.

I just find this so weird because this didn't happen on my previous build (had a 4790K). Should I just not mess with Small FTTs?

I dont recall if haswell used avx instructions or not... if so, p95 version didnt have it or your cpu wasnt throttling.

Lol, you got a point there.

I ran small FFT's with XTU open and it turns out its "Power Limit Throttling", on stock. Weird.

You need to raise the power limit in Bios to prevent throttling. What is the stock clock speed when running prime95? ASUS has MCE on by default.

Just use a AVX offset , very few things use it I would not lower my Daily oc over avx just set it to -3(or what ever makes it stable) and then dont worry .

Im i interested in hearing this as well... :)

I dont see my clocks reducing in the games i play...(i use an avx offset).

Back