• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 GTS 320MB help me before I throw it out the window!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FirestormZero said:
I agree with AC3421, knock it off. Most of your "contribution" to this thread is melodramatic whining and typos. Hell, your topic even has a temper-tantrum title.

Here, if you want help, ask nicely, we understand that you are frustrated, it happens.

Comments:

Buying 2x7800 for SLi was a bad investment.
SLi is a bad investment.

I have my money that the end result will be that one 8800 will have about a 3-7% increase in performance.

Come on.....going SLi isn't really a bad investment, its what you want to do with the cards that determines it worth. The only downside to a SLi setup is that those who run multiple monitors (like myself) is that you lose one monitor when it is activated. That is why most enthusiasts run two SLi Card and a third ATI or AGP card. I ran two 6800GT cards for a while until I bought a 8800GTS Superclocked card. Although I am amazed that it can run Windows Vista and the Aero Windows and still run my other monitor, I will still buy another 8800 GTS card and go SLi........ its is all about what I can do with the extra card.

FirestormZero said:
I agree with AC3421, knock it off. Most of your "contribution" to this thread is melodramatic whining and typos. Hell, your topic even has a temper-tantrum title.

Here, if you want help, ask nicely, we understand that you are frustrated, it happens.

Comments:

Buying 2x7800 for SLi was a bad investment.
SLi is a bad investment.

I have my money that the end result will be that one 8800 will have about a 3-7% increase in performance.
Most people here know that it is my way of being humorous.

I went SLI with 7800 GTs when they first came out... so that is irreveleant. If you have the best and want better what do you do? SLI... Now though if I decide to go up I will just do a step up to an 8800 GTX. EVGA gotta <3 em.

I am currently running the 8800 @ 600/1000 and it seems to be doing pretty well. Runs COD2 nicely with max settings (shadows off) @ 1680x1050 in DX9 mode. ~70 FPS avg in big multi's. Now time to try out some FEAR!!!

Immortal do what you want with your money. Ignore the thread crappers, IMO they should GTFO if they don't like how you spend your money. Good to hear you are getting better scores though.

The divers for the 8800 series are finalized in XP right?

GundamWZero said:
If you are going to chuck the 8800, give it to me!!!! :beer:

J/K...... Look, I have the same card, in fact mines is the "Superclocked" version. Judging from your 3DMark scores you are moving as fast as I was. However, after a few runs with 3DMark, it have gotten faster, and posted higher marks. I also used NTune to help with syncing all my components together.

You have a good card, but your computer is like a new part for a import; that new "turbo" isn't going to show you the power unless its in sync with the rest of the car.
What kind of scores are you getting with your 8800? We have very similar systems.

This thing seems like a very small step in performance comparted to my 7800 GT SLi. I think most of it is the fact it has less memory. Looks like a step up may be in order. But w/e. No I am not CPU limited becaues frame rates scale with resolution and graphic settings. Wierd.

Dude i tried to run 3D mark 05 and it passed the first test then froze up on me i can't even get a clean test run so i can't even gie you my score like you asked. i am ****ed off right now. errrrrrrr:mad: I think my board is bad or the cpu is frying up. I know the cpu overvoltage error on boot is messing up something. I'm not even overclocked. WTF!

I would say driver issue... you prob will need a clean install of windows for the new drivers... I know I did.

good to hear that your getting good fps in CoD2, Immortal. CoD2 was the one game that worried me about getting this card.

thinking about this card but might just get the 640 GTS or spring for the GTX. sometimes i think i'm cursed with a 24" LCD, but i love it too much :D

aiya said:
good to hear that your getting good fps in CoD2, Immortal. CoD2 was the one game that worried me about getting this card.

thinking about this card but might just get the 640 GTS or spring for the GTX. sometimes i think i'm cursed with a 24" LCD, but i love it too much :D
I would spring for the 640... I am going to do a step up soon but I am not sure if I am going for the 640 or the GTX.... ???:confused:???

Rattle said:
I would wait to see if the refresh is coming or the 8900's they were on target for may but may not be anymore.
I figured to wait for the refresh, only have 90 days though from the date of purchase.

yeah i guess since ATI is a joke and cant release a card nvidia is actually gonna wait to release the card thats gonna beat it anyway till its released lol, so there might not be anything in 90 days... these are basically rumors though after the leakage of nvidia and ati specs on cards schedualed to be released in 6-8 weeks now we've gone to ati q2 and nvidia waiting for them since it makes no sense to release a faster version of the fastest card on the market without any competition.

If they don't do a refresh I will get an 8800 GTX as the price will surely drop some in the next 90 days.

Immortal_Hero said:
I am sure it is a key in the reg that I have missed or something. Thinking a repair might clean it up! Going to try that as an easy way.

@aaronjb know of any reg entries in paticular that might be causing me problems?

Unfortunately, no. I'd start with a fresh install at this point, and then keep the driver situation tidy for future upgrades.

How are you getting worse FPS in games, yet the 3dmark score is higher?

I think something else is going on.

I'm scoring almost 10,000 in 3d06, but for some reason the FEAR benchmark test drops to 15FPS @ 1680x1050 with everything at max (driver forced), any thoughts?

Firs of all. Your 3dmark06 score is right one the money, its the same thing i get. And with 3dmark05 i get around 11,000 points. So calm down.

As far as games; the higher the resolution the more memory you will need to have on your video card. Right now you only have 320mb, your SLI had 1gig. Thats a HUGE difference when it comes to playing games in high resolution.

PSU could be craping out as well, just a guess, it is Antec.

You have latest BIOS for your Mobo?

Back