• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 GTS 320MB help me before I throw it out the window!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i think the lesson here is dont try and fix something that isnt broken, sli'ed 7800gts will run anything, dx10 wont be necessary for games for atleast years
Right now you only have 320mb, your SLI had 1gig. Thats a HUGE difference when it comes to playing games in high resolution.
hes right on this fact

the problem could be anything from heat(too much tim) to a bad pci-e slot

Before you throw it out the window, throw it into my welcome hands.

I'd second a fresh windows install. Back up everything, make a nice slipstream windows cd with nlite, reinstall.

Right now you only have 320mb, your SLI had 1gig. Thats a HUGE difference when it comes to playing games in high resolution.

Wrong SLI does not double the memory because there are 2 cards. I'm guessing he had 2 256 cards I don't think they made a 512 gt. At any rate he gained memory. It would make sense that the low end of the 8800 would equal or just edge out sli 7800 gts. Seems about normal. I had sli 7900 gtx 512 and went to the 8800 gtx 768 oc to 630 2020 now there is a big jump. People need to know what they are buying and why they are buying it. You should know that if you are going from sli in th7 series that you need to go to the top of the line in the 8800 series to be really impressed.

well i get 7500 points in 3dmark with a similar system. my card is not overclocked. I must say i am very happy with it.

But here is one thing to try for anyone haveing issues. I CAN'T install the drivers using the installer. When i do, upon restart the computer uses the default vga driver. 4bit colour at 800x600 res! woo! To get around this i have to install using the add hardware wizard. Try installing the drivers that way. Run the setup exe to extract the c:\nvidia wizard and then quit. point the wizard to the inf file there.

Also i have found fear to be wicked quick, but i run a "low" res (max of 1280x690). i know in stalker that video memory is a big factor in fps. I have everything on high (AA incl) except for the texture detail. I have to run meduim to prevent the system using more than 320mb of it. This improves the fps dramatically. on high that game will use 550+ mb of video mem.

I've got the exact same card as you Immortal_Hero and had the exact same problem at first. I tried everything with little improvement and finally re-installed Windows XP.

I have not had a single slowdown in a game since re-installing XP. Just stepping up to a GTX will probably not solve all your problems. I've never had to re-install XP before for a video card but it worked wonders for me and I would highly recommend it.

J-Sap said:
I've got the exact same card as you Immortal_Hero and had the exact same problem at first. I tried everything with little improvement and finally re-installed Windows XP.

I have not had a single slowdown in a game since re-installing XP. Just stepping up to a GTX will probably not solve all your problems. I've never had to re-install XP before for a video card but it worked wonders for me and I would highly recommend it.

He already did that... I think.

8800gts 320mb is a great card. i can say i never been happy with out it after i upgraded to a 7600gt. plays everything on max, cod2 atleast 120 fps, bf2142 smooth as hell no lag. stalker is great on my computer, i had everything on max. and im playing at 1440 x 900.

Back