• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8k5a2+..less stable at higher voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a1cnolan

ive been trying to find my max and at 9.5X176 im rock solid using prime 95 for over 8 hours. but if i turn the voltage up i am no longer stable at all.. i get a hardware error 3 seconds into it. everyone said this enermax power supply was good.. now it seems that is not the case. im conluding that that is the problem but i really don't know... any ideas besides a power supply?

What are your rails at load? 3.3v, 5v, and 12v to be specific. Sounds to me like as you bump up that voltage, your power supply makes it unstable. Also, Enermax isn't the best power supply. It's a rather weak power supply and seeing as how power consuming these Epox boards are, it isn't the best choice to make.

here the info

3,3v is 1.52
5v is 4.92
12v is 12.52

..thats about it.. thats with 175X9.5..if i raise it any further it goes bang. if i turn up my memory timings it craps. so basically i can't up my voltage to get more stability. sucks cause i got my temps pretty darn good for air cooling. right now with my vcor at 1.85 i get29 case and 40c cpu.. thats without the air conditioning on in the house. if i drop the ambiant temps so does the processor temps.. i spent a lot of time working on cooling and this is like man anyway. so you are saying i need a new power supply or i have to do that 5v mobo mod.. id like to be able to hand this motherboard over to family when im done with it so id like to avoid the mod if i can. otherwise ill mod it.

what kind of power supply would you suggest?

btw yodums. ive read about every sticky in these forums and id like to say you put out a lot of information to all of us and i appreciate it fully..or just thank you

I dont know much about oc or PSU but still pretty sure those numbers mainly show you have not set up MBM correctly :) AGP port is getting 1.52.

175 with pc2100 and PSU sucks? ehh, well most is possible. But try find max levels of oc at default fsb, it be 166 or 133.

Take the readouts during load, like when you do prime95.

oh yeah my sig is wrong its 2700..ill fix it in a minute. but yeah ive been using cpucool..for some reason i can't get mbm to work with this mobo.anyway, yeah thats the numbers it shows. i was doing prime95 for a half an hour when i got that.. im trying to get my ram stable mostly. i can't even get it stable at 133 with turbo timings. probably cause i can't up the voltage..
okay i got mbm5 working now..
under load at vcore 2.00 my high temp is 44c.
my low 5v is 4.89
nothing else dropped lower.
im gonna go turn up the ram timings and see what happens.

Last edited:
Back