• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Replacement Motherboard For My Sabertooth 990FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

Has anyone put the VRM/NB water block on the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7????

It looks like Asus is not going to fix my Sabertooth MB, I pick up a used one with no accessories from E-Bay @ $125.00

Should I just be happy that I was able to get my computer back running again for a small fee. OR
Still work the wife and get the Asrock Extreme 9 990FX or the Asrock FATAL1TY 990FX KILLER.
I've got the new AMD FX-8370 arriving on Monday, But I enjoy tweaking the CPU and MB.

I did a quick look at TigerDirect and at Newegg. Neither one has the UD7 motherboard for sale:( I was hoping that some one had a complete UD7 water cooled or a Asus CH V completely water cooled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been there done that. As far as water cooling the VRM goes it will help with socket temp, keeping it stabilized and depending how hard you push it can actually keep your socket temp cooler then your cores. That being said I have found no positive proof that it has helped me achieve a higher Overclock. My FX 8370 is prime stable 5+ hours at 5.1GHZ and can bench light benchmarks to 5.45GHZ ish which follows along with patterns we have seen with these new FX 8XXX chips which tend to be able to clock higher with les VCore but lack the ability to do any real heavy kamikaze runs as we seen the older FX 8320 and FX 8350 high leakage chips achieve. Just something to think about.

Of the Motherboards out there that can really push an FX 8XXX CPU only the CHV or the CHVz has an actual chipset waterblock for the board any other board you will have to try and make do with a universal block. Something you should know ....... these chipset blocks are very hard to find and you are not the only one looking.

Now if you still plan on going down tis road maybe this thread would be better in the AMD Motherboard area. where it will get a little more exposure to the AMD crowd. Here in the forums there is only 2 of us that have liquid cooled the VRM.

Been there done that. As far as water cooling the VRM goes it will help with socket temp, keeping it stabilized and depending how hard you push it can actually keep your socket temp cooler then your cores. That being said I have found no positive proof that it has helped me achieve a higher Overclock. My FX 8370 is prime stable 5+ hours at 5.1GHZ and can bench light benchmarks to 5.45GHZ ish which follows along with patterns we have seen with these new FX 8XXX chips which tend to be able to clock higher with les VCore but lack the ability to do any real heavy kamikaze runs as we seen the older FX 8320 and FX 8350 high leakage chips achieve. Just something to think about.

Of the Motherboards out there that can really push an FX 8XXX CPU only the CHV or the CHVz has an actual chipset waterblock for the board any other board you will have to try and make do with a universal block. Something you should know ....... these chipset blocks are very hard to find and you are not the only one looking.

Now if you still plan on going down tis road maybe this thread would be better in the AMD Motherboard area. where it will get a little more exposure to the AMD crowd. Here in the forums there is only 2 of us that have liquid cooled the VRM.

I was wondering if it would help. I found a VRM/NB water block for the UD7 at EK's web site. I didn't know, if I continued tweaking, if I should use the Sabertooth( have already fried (1) ) or switch it out for the UD7.
Another project that I was looking at, was switching out the EK-7950 water blocks, on my Gigabyte HD-7950 WF3. I have a R9 280x HIS IceQ2 Boost (1000/1500) and a XFX Black DD ( 1080/1550) that have the basic HD-7970 layout.

Taking Blaylock's suggestion, I submitted the FX-8350 to AMD for repair. So far, it looks like they might replace it. I bought it at TigerDirect as a boxed processor ( 3yr warranty). It got fried when the Asus motherboard VRM went up in smoke.

If I was you I would stick with the sabertooth as it is a much better board for OCing the FX83XX CPU over the GIGA UD7. Look through the forums and look see what people are using. There are very few reports on either of the Sabertooth or the CHVz being bad though if you look through forums you will find many people with issues on GIGABYTE boards.

watercooling the board is a nifty thing but, you can get enough airflow that a block is just a waste of money. if you just dig the looks. go for it, I build my stuff in the way I like it, you should too.
the asus ch5-f or -f-z are great boards, the asrocks you list are solid also.

Back