• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit 400s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm...... NForce 2..... let's hope they don't drop the ball again or most every AMD O/C motherboard will still remain VIA based.

i'm not too familiar with nforce 2 , but i'm gonna do some reading this week because the more i hear about kt333/400 , i'm losing interest. grantite(sp?), my kt333 serves me well, as do many other boards with the kt333. however, i hate buying something after reading stuff about some having flaws. if you got a good one, cool, but if not, it makes ya nervous thinking....will mine work fine, or will i have a flaw... it's too big of a hit or miss . i wanted a kx7-333, because it is a very nice board indeed. but do i want to take a chance that i may get a good one, or a bad one? nope. if i buy one, i'll buy the kx7-333's that were faulty and returned to be fixed. i'll bet the newegg refurbs are ones with kt333's that failed and now were replaced with a newer ..."working "....kt333.
if i get one, it'll be a newegg refurb for 60 bucks........

what are the specs on the nforce 2? and what's gonna make this such a good asset to us o/c'ers?

what else is coming out in the near future for us AMD'ers, besides kt-400, and nforce..?

Hmm.... there are other chipset manufacturers out there but the only one that has delivered the goods would be VIA.

madsam - You probably know what I would get;) I am a cheap guy:D

hmmmmm

sonny..
lol, dollar for dollar, i think the kx7-333 is a great big bang for your buck. but i'm not sure.

you do love those 266a's now, don't ya?

and some of those are down to earth these days too...... :D ;)

Yup $65 buck for a brand new KR7A133R & all I have to find now is someone that will ship overseas after checking that the board is in good working condition with the latest revision.

ahh!!about time!!!

very nice. am a proud owner of a at7 kt333 board. yes, yes... just finished stress testing from new adjustments.....here is where i am at now.

at7
xp1900 unlocked @ 10x at 168fsb / 1.775vcore
(system temp 35' idle/36' load) (cpu temp 46' idle/50' load)
dr thermal ti-v86 heatsink with thermal engine fan
768mb of pc2700 samsungies / thermaltake ramsinks
visiontek geforce3 ti200 @ 220/460
2x 60g maxtor @ raid0
on board sound with creative inspire 5.1 surround speakers ( very nice highs but need better lows-subwoofer)
3d mark score=8200 with everything but 8x aa. using 4x instead.
si sandra mem score=2500 with no aggressive mem settings

more improvements can be made and will be after more research and money. ( getting 2 vantec chipset coolers and then adding fan to side panel) this will complete cooling issues. i am looking for a board with same options as this abit cause they have awesome overclocking capabilities. bios is a must...dont like dipswitches, jumpers, and such when overclocking. its nice to make adjustments without opening your case. well, unless you get stupified and cause a lockup or something. this new at7 should rock but i would like to see some specs first though. hey sonny...you know where to get some?

i got the at7, see sig. this board does rock. got my xp1600 up to 1948mhz, but was a bit unstable for folding. it's rock stable at 1901. folds 24/7 without error. my memory scores are higher than yours, but i do have it set to more aggressive settings. at default it was not any higher than yours.

i am very happy with this board, but i would buy the kx7 the next time around.

are you using the 5th divider for the 168fsb?

and do you fold? if not, click the link in my sig.

finally

yes i am using 5th divider. had to..once i got to 145fsb, blue screen of death kept haunting me. change to 5th divider and was able to go up to 170fsb. but, got scared and backed off to 166. seemed logical to set 166 so that it is insync with mem speed. did math and realized that i am at perfect speeds for all buses. but si sandra says i am way out of spec. weird. anyhow madsam, i have a xp1600 also but got up to 1650mhz before trouble. with my xp1900 i can only reach 1680 before trouble happens. how in the heck do you get passed 1700mhz? i can do all sorts of settings under 1700mhz but cant get her tamed above 1700. also, can we use pc3000 or pc3200 mem? by book it says no but why do they give you up to 250mhz fsb in bios? i would also like to set my mem to aggressive settings but fail everytime i try. what settings at what?

when i get new memory, i'm getting pc3200...good quality ram too. also, sandra does not recognise our 5th divider(and 6th on some boards) so it calculates your pci and agp bus speeds based on your fsb setting.

your board should o/c better than mine. also, get those temps down. the higher you clock, and the more voltage you give it, the hotter it gets.

also, more importantly, although your temps rise with speed and vcore, to keep the chip stable, it requires a lower temp as you o/c higher.

example: my xp1600 @ 1.750vcore gets unstable around 55-60 c. however, @ 1.85 vcore @ 1948mhz , the same chip is unstable above 50ish.

when your chip seems it's reached it's max, then one day you get better cooling, it may clock yet a bit higher.

ratts...!!!........do you fold?:confused: :burn: :burn: :burn:

Last edited:
oops,

sorry sonny... i ment as in testing specs....i did notice that it had this so called serial connection for hard drives. whatz up with that? it lost me...

There are no units available for testing as of yet so I cant tell you anything about them. Serial ATA HDD are rated at ATA150 so the claim is that they are "Faster" than the current HDDs & there is sup0pose to be a dedicated Hyper Bus for the HDDs. Will there be a real performance gain that you can feel? I'm not too sure about that;)

but the nice USB-like cables that S-ATA uses are nice. nore more poorly performing round ones, and also no more airflow-restrictiong, ugly ribbon cables

I was hoping that the SATA had RAID capabilities but it looks like it's not going in that direction.

Hey Sonny,

Abit offically released the new mobos today based on the KT400 chipset...

Wahooo...

Paul..

PS Here's a snippet

Taipei, Taiwan, ROC, August 27, 2002 - ABIT launches official support for AMD AthlonXP 333FSB CPUs on all ABIT KT400 motherboards. The upcoming AthlonXP 333FSB CPUs to be launched by AMD in the coming months will have full support on ABIT's KT400-based KD7-RAID, KD7 and the AT7-Max2. For those ready for DDR400 supporting motherboards, guarantee that your motherboard will support this future CPU platform. ABIT is again giving ABIT users The MaxIImum Edge.

Yup! I saw that on their site. I'm still thinking that there will be a KT400A since there is a problem with VIA's NorthBridge.

ummma ummma ummmm..!!

but was there ever a kt333a ?
or is the kt400, the actual kt333a...?
and if it is, why would there be a kt400a..?

now fold...!! dammmmmitt..!!!
:confused: :burn: :burn:

There wasnt a KT333A since they had the 1/5 divisor working but what I'm trying to get at is that the KT400 has an error with the NorthBridge that only allows DDR400 if you only populate 2 Banks/1 DIMM Slot, anything more than that is not supported. Just like the KT133 which did not have support for PC133 which only came with the KT133A. I'm not a 100% sure about this & it's just me who thinks this way:eek:

Back