• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit 400s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its gona be really freakin tough to wait it out to see how the New Abit boards handle for everyone before i jump on.. Though I've never had a prob with Abit in the past so they should be good.

That AT7 MAX 2 looks to be a lock unless ya cant run the FSB that high with a stick of Corsair 3200 512.
If i could get 210-220+ wtih no screen artifacts in windows i'll buy it.

um, sonny - am i to understand that you actually have the new MAX2? is that where you're getting your screen shots?

oooh!

details details details!!! pah LEEEEEAAASE!!!

shanks

RSB

oh, yeah

c'mon sonny..!! do you have it already , as suggested above? i am eager to learn more from you first hand, because i don't have the loot to get me one. i looked again at abit's site, and the at7-max2 looks great, almost like an animal of a motherboard, and the same goes for that kd7. hmmmmmm

what chip are you running on that board? it's either an xp1600 from newegg, or a t-bred...? and what memory do you have?

i hope you reply, because if you don't, we'll all think the new board died on you. :beer: :beer: ;)

I dont have it...

Like I said
.....I am only looking at the BIOS with ModBin6.
so nobody should get excited. I dont live in the US & I will have to pay a lot more for it than most of you guys, $220.00USD + Insurance, which is something that is really going to put my budget off. Damn Abit distributor here already went down so my only alternative is to order overseas.

The BIOS is not beta & can be downloaded from Abit's site & as mentioned the board is already available, now in 3 stores, just check pricewatch on which stores have them.

Oh boy, with those BIOS settings, Abit is going to be at the top of OCer's world. With those high Vcore and Vdimm adjustments, Who needs Epox again?!:beer:

you know, i know this question should have quite a bit of crossover into the storage space and HDD forum, but i'm still not certain that i understand the serillel system that they're talking about... parallel and serial drives... these are 2 different types of hard drives?

the things i understand about this whole system are this...

i understand that serial is faster than parallel, but i don't know why that is. when you say serial i think "daisy chain" and slower. if you say parallel i think independant/faster. apparently thats not so...?

the things i don't understand about this whole system are this...

yes or no - there are two types of HDD's... serial and parallel. if yes, whats the difference? if no... what the hell?

as far as i knew, serial ports and parallel ports only existed on the back of the motherboard on old systems for things like old *** modems and printers and junk... and then you had your standard IDE channels which you connected your ide devices to (hard drives, cd roms, etc etc etc). and if it wasn't an IDE channel then it was a legacy port for the disk drive, or they were RAID channels controlled by the highpoint...

now, as i understand it that is not the case??? one set of these channels are called serial ports and one set of these are called parallel ports? yes? and apparently they can ALL be controlled by the highpoint and be part of the raid array yes? which one is which?

and how do they combine serial with parallel? (a pic would be helpful

sorry. this whole thing has got me confused. i've been doing computers for awhile now and have never paid much attention to the data storage aspect of it - now i feel like i'm in the stone age suddenly. how embarassing. a pic or diagram of the whole setup would be incredibly helpful as the morons who built the press release web page for Abit obviously believed that a crappy, dark, grainy, dinky-*** thumbnail of the whole schebang assembled on someones livingroom carpet was going to give joe schmo (me) even the faintest idea of what they're talking about.

all i see is 2 less channels for RAID on a motherboard that is suppose to be an upgrade, a chipset that still won't support 400mhz (but wants to quite badly like the last one), and now i have to deal with the PS2 ports again because everyone whined about them so badly when they went missing from the MAX1 board (which was a brilliant move IMHO). the only reason i'm holding out on this thing is because there appeared to be so much problem with the NIC on the other one that i wanted to wait till they got it worked out. instead they came out with a whole new board hopefully with the NIC problem whipped...

anyways, thanks in advance for the input. sorry if it's slightly off topic, but this is the only board that claims to be able to do it.

RSB

LOOK HERE for a more complete explanation of Serial ATA. With regards to SATA RAID, the way I understand is that the HP374 can use the SATA Controllers in its RAID Array but that is the optimistic view of it. The thing is that they are not saying this out right so it can also mean to connect SATA drives via adaptor cables & use the HP Controllers instead.

sonny i appreciate the link but i've already been sent there and my questions remain unanswered. it's just too much information and i can't process it and don't have the time to pour into it. i just want a basic stupid diagram or picture to help me understand what they're talkin about. i know it sounds dumb, but thats really what it's going to take. 7000 pages of PDF is too confusing.

Unfortunately, the introduction of Serial ATA standard for the PC is delayed until at least 2003 because the necessary chip set pieces won't be in place before that, he says. Maxtor is one of six companies including APT, Dell, IBM, Intel, and Seagate supporting the next-generation interface.

http://www.seagate.com/products/discsales/discnew/

I guesss you can use a controller card until the new MB come out but they only transfer at bus speeds

Last edited:
thank you - thats better. still some questions...

so are there two different types of hard drives? SATA is going to be a new kind of HDD in the not so distant future?

man i don't mean to be so dense on this...

okay, lets make it painfully easy...

where are the HDD serial ports on this mobo?

where are the HDD parallel ports on this mobo?

please point to them in the picture

AT7-MAX2_pic6.jpg

this seems so retarded. have always called these IDE ports as in GENERIC. if they weren't IDE ports then they were RAID ports.

***grumble***

en_0208161_pic4.gif

and what am i looking at here? how come the IDE ports look all daisy chained together?

<--------freakin retarded apparently. bear with me. am tired of getting the run around.

Last edited:
Your not getting the run around, you just need to put as much effort as everyone has when looking for info. If you cant find the time to read then it makes it more difficult to tell you what you want to know.

The Yellow IDE channels are connected to the High Point 374 RAID chip & the Black IDE channels are your standard ATA133/100/66/33. The Serial Controllers are the ones highlighted in the pic. Seagate offers the Barracuda V 8MB Cache 120G for their Serial ATA range. What I would like to purchase is smaller capacity single platter HDDs, between 20G - 40G, for fster RAID setups.

Man i thought this board was gona support SATA in a raid setup.. Crap.. i guess thats a seperate PCI highpoint card insted.. :(

ya dont have to have a serial HD for the SATA.. you can get an addaptor to hook a normal old school IDE hard drive to the SATA port. I dont know if you will see a difference in speed that way or not.

I'm download the Bios from the Abit Homepage but I can't find the Options for VCore and VDimm.

I look with Modbin6.

I hope the Forum can help me :beer:

EDVAnfaenger said:
I'm download the Bios from the Abit Homepage but I can't find the Options for VCore and VDimm.

I look with Modbin6.

I hope the Forum can help me :beer:
Welcome To The Forums!!!!!

.....and to the addiction:eek:

I got your PM & sent a reply:beer:

When you open ModBin6 make sure the the BIOS/*.BIN files is in the same directory. Choose the EDIT SETUP SCREEN from the list & you will find SOFT MENU III there;)

I called ABit USA and they said the KD7-R will be arriving in the USA/shipping within a week they expect.

Sonny said:
Your not getting the run around, you just need to put as much effort as everyone has when looking for info. If you cant find the time to read then it makes it more difficult to tell you what you want to know.

i understand that sonny. thank you for the picture, thats all i wanted. i understand whats happening now perfectly.

i'm not being lazy sonny as you can see HERE on my sticky, but i'm also in the middle of finals, persuing two seperate (degrees one in mechanical engineering and one in industrial design), am working 35 hours a week and to be quite honest i don't have the time to dump into reading 400 different little PDF's, and trying to understand every stupid nuance of advanced, hypothetical and future data storage techniques that haven't quite hit the market or the bugs worked out of. so cut me a little slack huh? i know what i need to understand what i'm studying - and nowhere in the PDF's did i find this little picture you've made for me... a picture thats answered what hours of reading still didn't accomplish.

thanks again for your help sonny.

RSB

I ordered the AT7 Max2 from Newegg today. Dam it is expensive, but is packed with features, incl 1394, LAN and IDE to SATA adaptor cables that let you use current harddrives on the sata connectors. It will be interesting to see how those connectors with the adaptor cables compare to the ide133ATA connectors using 133 drives.

xgman said:
It will be interesting to see how those connectors with the adaptor cables compare to the ide133ATA connectors using 133 drives.
Why not use the SATA Controllers instead of the adaptor? Just wondering why you would use an adaptor for Serial ATA HDD when there is already the Controller.

Sonny said:
Why not use the SATA Controllers instead of the adaptor? Just wondering why you would use an adaptor for Serial ATA HDD when there is already the Controller.

I think hes talkin about the addaptor on the back of the hard drive to convert to the serial, so he can plug her into the board.

Back