• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit AB9-QuadGT first thoughts...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well it is a much more mature board, but the QuadGT has potential to be the best, if and when they work out the bios bugs.

LordFrank said:
So, with a QX6700 CPU, I'd want to stay with my original plan of getting the AW9D-Max then?
Actually, with a QX, I would have to say that the QuadGT is a slightly better choice. Neither board will hinder your speeds due to the unlocked multiplier, but you will likely get slightly better performance at the end of the day with the QuadGT. It allows for more FSB, and also has VTT adjustment in BIOS, which is not very useful for most, but is for quad core.

But the QuadGT does seem to have an immature BIOS amidst all of this, and the AW9 would not be a mistake either. It's very hard to make a bad choice if you have a QX. :)

Gautam said:
Klown, try jumping straight to 300...the 800MHz strap is probably precisely why you got stuck at 260. Unless you set it manually, you probably need booting at 266 at least for the 1066 strap to be activated.

The point at where you were that caused the corruption is what's sometimes called an "FSB gap."

Is there someway to tell if the strap is working?

Well they have released two betas so far, the b02 and b06. The b02 fixed the failure to boot with a bootable usb device attached, as well as various voltage limit fixes, but hosed c1e, meaning not there anymore at all, and the b06 fixed all but one of the raid issues, as well as the c1e, just has it supposedly disabled, although it isn't an option in the bios anymore. Good lick finding them though as Abit's forum web site is where they are found, and it's been down for three days now, at least for me because I cannot access it. Anandtech has a QuadGT updated article explaining the beta bios stuff more, as well as a link to the b02, but not the b06 beta. They actually love the board, greatest thing since sliced bread type of love.

I'd say that seems rocky... heh.

I wonder how it will turn out, if BIOS updates make it a great board or if they just can't work the kinks out.

The 680i I have, I personally don't think they'll ever be able to work all the kinks... least not for a very long time, the problems with that chipset follows it to every board using it. It seems that like 1 out of every 7 people that buy one, just get a board the works flawlessly, and the other six I read there's posts all over the other forums... lol.

EDIT:
Downloaded. = )

Well, I bought the Quad GT board.

Still waiting on some small items before I can put my PC entirly together... probably by this weekend.

I am very happy with this board, just make sure you get the BIOS up to B06.

I am mildly annoyed by the hissing noise I hear from my overclock. I'm assuming it's coming from the PWM, but I have not found how I can minimize this noise.

If you use uGuru to change the mode from "Default" to "Turbo", you hear no hissing??

I noticed my PWM goes from 6A on "Normal" to 10A on "Default" or "Turbo". It's the only thing I can see that changes.

Sorry, but I don't use uGuru for anything but temp monitoring. I oc through the bios exclusively.

So do I. BUT if you want your mobo to hiss try changing it with uGuru and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I can't even finish a windows install. The thing crashes every few minutes. I'm assuming its the bios causing this problem....?

1. Use floppy to Update BIOS to B06
2. Create F6 disk for Windows XP
3. Install Windoze

I do recall reading there was an issue with the B06 BIOS and optical SATA drives, not sure if you're using one.

Back