• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding more RAM on Z370 - Should I reset CMOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yoadknux

Hi guys,

RAM was on sale, so I decided to get an additional 2x8 to my Z370 PC. My question is, when I add those 2 sticks, do I need to reset CMOS? I'm a noob when it comes down to memory and bioses. The memory should have the same timings (Both kits are G-Skill 3200 CL16).

I remember that on my P35 it would not boot with new ram unless I reset CMOS, on Z68 it sometimes worked, on X79 it would usually take care of things automatically (a slow boot, or a boot loop, before posting eventually). On Z370 I have no idea what's going to happen.

What is the fundamental thing to do? Clearing CMOS is no big deal, but I'd rather not do it. Maybe disable fast boot and disable XMP -> put sticks -> re-enable XMP?

Thanks!

All you have to do is to enter BIOS and re-enable XMP so it will retrain memory settings (it should read it correctly without it but sometimes BIOS keeps last settings as long as they are still stable).

Are the two new sticks the same as the ones that were already installed, at least in the sense of frequency, timings and voltage?

Thanks for the comments guys.

It's an identical kit, G-Skill TridentZ 3200MHz CL16 2x8.

I plugged them in and had some initial post problems, had to reseat the memory, then it bootlooped a bit, but eventually the ram was recognized and I re-enabled XMP. Frankly it was kinda annoying. Then windows loaded and hard crashed (frozen screen and sound) and I realized that now may be a good time to increase system agent voltage and VCCIO, both now at 1.1V. I'm running P95 blend for an hour, then maybe RealBench for a few hours, and Memtest overnight and hopefully everything will be fine.

Edit:
So, I 2 seperate runs of Memtest (took 5.5 hours each), 2 seperate 1 hour runs of RealBench with 32GB usage, 1 hour blend at Prime95, and 30 minutes AIDA64 with no FPU (didn't want to stress CPU too much). Things look alright. I also increased System agent and VCCIO to 1.2V each just in case. I hate RAM problems, they always sneak around and wait for the right moment to mess something up... :)

Last edited:
Back