• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Conditioned Liquid Cooled Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DAKz

Found this...whats your thinking on this?

Reason I ask is the compressor went out in my AC about 10 days ago and while I was waiting for them to fix it, they brought over a portable AC like the one in the video, soon as I saw it I thought Why couldn't you just pump this into a case and start way cooler?

Doable but not efficient.

The best way to "sub room temp" watercool is to build a waterchiller out of an old/new water machine. This is much more power efficient than using an A/C trough the Rad.

you mean like the submerged ones? Built in aquariums?

you mean like the submerged ones? Built in aquariums?

No, far from ...

I mean to use the water machine cooler as a Waterloop cooler. This is cheap and reliable.

You could also buy a "real water cooler", frozen CPU and performancepcs are selling some for a good period of time now. These machine simply plug inline with the loop and cool the water as it pass trough. Kind of similar to what you can do for cheap with a water machine.

My thinking, since I just went through this is no so much the cpu, but vrm ram, etc. I got 9 fans on my case and its a wc unit, still the highest temps I am getting is from the vrm, so my thinking is a source of cold air into the case has to help them while the water cooler takes care of the cpu...right?

My thinking, since I just went through this is no so much the cpu, but vrm ram, etc. I got 9 fans on my case and its a wc unit, still the highest temps I am getting is from the vrm, so my thinking is a source of cold air into the case has to help them while the water cooler takes care of the cpu...right?

Right. But i prefer to use my A/C for my entire place ;) My place is never above 23-24°c in summer.

Mine (home) is kept at a nice 68f, or 2,099,873,229c, never was good at the whole metric thing, but I was just thinking that a small portable ac unit, something like the LG LP0910WNR 9000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner w DEHUMIDIFIER, with a huge out vent on the front tubed into the intake fan on the front of a case or even going through the rad has to make a huge difference, you could lower the coolant temp to lower then ambient.

Last edited:
something like this except flowing into the rad reversing the fans to pull instead of push

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    108.3 KB · Views: 234
Like the thousands of others that tried this.. doable, but potential for condensation as well. To benchmark, do it. 24/7, not so much.

Oh I am sure, thats why I picked the model with the dehumidifier. thought it would be worth asking about.

It's worth a shot, good for Samsung memory oc...cpus won't go much further at say 10c ambient, since they'll still add the delta temp on top, and end up at 40-50c.

The best thing to do is remove the evaporator from the casing and submerge it in an anti freeze/distilled water mix. You use a big ice box/cooler as a reservoir and then build a water loop, with insulated tubing, and maybe some insulation around the socket area. -10c temps are doable...9000btu is plenty for the cpu.

At this point i am just planing and scheming, Not anything I am going to get into tomorrow but maybe something to start researching and gathering stuff for.

Well, the water chiller doesn't need radiators, only a loop with a huge reservoir to fit the evaporator in and submerge it in the fluid used.
Only gripe is covering the tubing in armaflex (think AC innard style) and doing some small insulation work on the board/socket area.

OK a lot of the extreme cooling concepts are brand new to me, so I spent last night studying the TEC concepts. So here is a question, what if you put some on the end of your rad to cool the liquid there? Easier to deal with condensation, and easier to deal with the heat thing. not looking for sub zero cpu just something that would allow sub ambient.

so the whole peltier area is going down the wrong road mostly because of power supply issues?

Not just the power supply issue (which is huge). You would need a very large peltier or a bunch of smaller ones. They would get very hot. You would then need a way to "move or heat dump" all of the heat that would be generated. Condensation would another issue that would be difficult to deal with as well.

It is similar to thinking of two different cooling strategies. Stage 1 the computer would be in a "refrigerator". Stage 2 the refrigerator would then be in a "cold room".

I realize this isn't the best analogy - just trying to give you an idea.

If a TEC cold side cools 75 watts of heat to xx temp, the hot side of the TEC would need some cooling device to remove the 75 watts of heat, and another 75 watts of heat generated by the TEC. They don't work for high power cooling.

Back