• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

am i getting the best overclock out of my cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blozz

Registered
Hello guys, well im the best overclocker (probably closer to the worst) and i've been wondering if im getting my maximum overclocking potential out of my CPU?
my FX-8350 is clocked at 4.2ghz but i feel i should be getting more out of it.
my specs are
FX-8350
MSI 990FXA GD-65 Version 1
8gb Corsair value ram
MSI GTX 770 4GB Twin Frozr Gaming Edition
Corsair GS600 PSU
1 SSD
4 HDD
3 case fans
and a Corsair H55 liquid CPU cooler.
i currently have the voltage set at around 1.42 i think. not 100% sure.
Thanks, any advice would help :)
Brendan

:welcome: To OCF Blozz
In order for us to examine your OC there's a few things we like to see first. If you haven't already download Prime95, HWMonitor (free) and CPU-z. Now run P95 blend torture test with HWMonitor open on the desktop for about 20 minutes. Then take a screenshot, windows has a nice tool called "snipping tool" works great for this, it's locared in accessories. We would also like to see pics of CPU-z main tab, spd tab and memory tabs.
Under the reply box if you select advanced it will take you to a new reply box with more options. Along the top of that box you'll see a paperclip. This will let you attach images directly to your post.

:welcome: To OCF Blozz
In order for us to examine your OC there's a few things we like to see first. If you haven't already download Prime95, HWMonitor (free) and CPU-z. Now run P95 blend torture test with HWMonitor open on the desktop for about 20 minutes. Then take a screenshot, windows has a nice tool called "snipping tool" works great for this, it's locared in accessories. We would also like to see pics of CPU-z main tab, spd tab and memory tabs.
Under the reply box if you select advanced it will take you to a new reply box with more options. Along the top of that box you'll see a paperclip. This will let you attach images directly to your post.
This^^^^^ and here's how to attach the Screenies.
how to attach photos.PNG

The limiting factor in your system would seem to be the H55 liquid cooler. The FX-8350 puts out a lot of heat when overclocked. For liquid coolers, we recommend a minimum of the Corsair H100. For air, something like the Noctua DH14. But like Johan45 said, you really can't tell where you are until you start to do some systematic stress testing and temp monitoring.

Have you overclocked in the BIOS or using an overclocking program? as everyone has said Take some screen shots of CPUZ and HWmonitor when running Prime95 after about half an hour and post them up, I would say that the voltage was probably a tad to high for a 4.2ghz OC but every chip is different. If you are happy with 4.2ghz then run it on P95 for half an hour or so and see if it passes, keep dropping down the voltage and stress test after every drop until it doesn't pass then knock the voltage back up and re test.

Have you overclocked in the BIOS or using an overclocking program? as everyone has said Take some screen shots of CPUZ and HWmonitor when running Prime95 after about half an hour and post them up, I would say that the voltage was probably a tad to high for a 4.2ghz OC but every chip is different. If you are happy with 4.2ghz then run it on P95 for half an hour or so and see if it passes, keep dropping down the voltage and stress test after every drop until it doesn't pass then knock the voltage back up and re test.

sorry guys, forgot to mention i have already tried putting it to 4.4 through the bios, and i ran prime 95 with that an one of the cores failed, but on 4.2 its completely stable. prime 95 runs absolutely fine as it is now on 4.2. heat gets to about 40ish on package and around 55-65 on tmpin0. on cpuz though it says my cpu voltage is lower than its set in bios is that weird?

please forgive my noobiness. i've only been seriously into computers/ computer gaming for the last few months or so. :facepalm:

sorry guys, forgot to mention i have already tried putting it to 4.4 through the bios, and i ran prime 95 with that an one of the cores failed, but on 4.2 its completely stable. prime 95 runs absolutely fine as it is now on 4.2. heat gets to about 40ish on package and around 55-65 on tmpin0. on cpuz though it says my cpu voltage is lower than its set in bios is that weird?

Not really. It's pretty normal to get a voltage drop when moving from bios into Windows. When you start to run up a hill it's normal to slow down a little, right? There are other reasons as well that cause even larger drops in voltage. If you still have Cool N Quiet, C1E, C6 and APM enabled in bios (what we call the "green stuff"), then you will get big swings in voltage.

please forgive my noobiness. i've only been seriously into computers/ computer gaming for the last few months or so. :facepalm:

Disable all the green stuff and try again. Unless you are trying to push your chip if you require a big voltage jump to get a slightly higher clock I wouldn't bother, just try and get the lowest voltage for that clock to be stable. Don't worry we all have to start somewhere.

Blozz, it is very difficult to see what is going on under the hood, so to speak, through the internet. This is why, we ask for certain information from people, it is the best way for us to see what the system is doing when stressed. I also lets us see if you have things such as your memory, nb frequency and ht link within spec. So posting the screen shots of what Johan asked in post #2 helps us help you achieve your goals.

Hi Blozz, from one noob to another I would listen to these guys. The members here offer very good advise. I've been reading different OC forums for 10 months and I found such a difference in opinions and recommendations I was afraid to much of anything. It wasn't until I spent a few days here reading old posts that I have experienced a successful relatively high OC with my 8350. I have 4.62ghz @ 1.404v running 24/7 now. Working on 4.8...need more cooling.

You are going to want to replace your h55 with at least a h100i or Glacier 240L. I'm currently on a 80i and it's maxed out when torture testing with P95.

Blozz, we don't know if your present case will accommodate an H100i or any other twin 120mm fan radiator water cooler or if it is wide enough to accommodate the height of any of the big air coolers but if not you need to consider updating the case. It's a key component in good cooling. What case make and model are you currently using?

Trents, i am using a Coolermaster Scout 2, i now have a Noctua NH-D14 and im still getting 40c idle. i have no idea what is wrong, its not to do with thermal paste left on the cpu or cooler because i sat there for 15 mins each one cleaning them spotless, i tried 2 different types of Compound the Noctua one that comes with the NH-D14 and Artic MX2
still really high. :/

See post #10 of that other thread you have going as well.

EDIT:
That post has a link to video of what it looks like when heatsink compound is installed. Some good methods and some that by the very looks of the results are better than others.
END EDIT.

Trents, i am using a Coolermaster Scout 2, i now have a Noctua NH-D14 and im still getting 40c idle. i have no idea what is wrong, its not to do with thermal paste left on the cpu or cooler because i sat there for 15 mins each one cleaning them spotless, i tried 2 different types of Compound the Noctua one that comes with the NH-D14 and Artic MX2

Last edited:

Blozz lets keep this all to one thread, the same people will help you either way, it will just be easier for all of us if it's one thread.

Back