• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I just lucky?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

I keep seeing people complaining about temperatures on FX8XXX series, but I have had no issues at all, and im overclocking the crap out of my cpu on a hyper 212 evo.

8e3t.png

Never gets over 55c when gaming.

I don't believe it.......and your CPU/NB voltage is ridiculously high.

I don't believe it.......and your CPU/NB voltage is ridiculously high.

Believe what you want to? I dunno, that voltage was the only way to get it stable for me. I tweaked for a few hours to get that setup working right, tried for 5.0, but the temps shot up considerably with each advance (Aka watercooling is necessary).

Ryan -> yes its perfectly stable. I don't run that high under normal circumstances though, I drop down to 4.6ghz, allows me to drop voltages considerably, so for the "meh" improvement to performance, I'd prefer just to see my cpu live longer.

That said, plenty of people have gone well north of my gains, Im simply on the fact that people complain about temperatures with these things, but I've really had no issues at all. At 4.9 my idle was 34c, at 4.6 my idle is 28c. Full fledged gaming brings 4.9 up to around 50-54c, and 48c is the highest ive seen 4.6 and that was after burning it up on PS2 for a longggg time.

That voltage will kill your IMC quickly. Enjoy it while it lasts.
I'd ask for pic of P95 running and temp monitor open but I don't want to burst your bubble.
Your supposed temps are what I get on high end water.....with less voltage.

That voltage will kill your IMC quickly. Enjoy it while it lasts.
I'd ask for pic of P95 running and temp monitor open but I don't want to burst your bubble.
Your supposed temps are what I get on high end water.....with less voltage.

I have no problem doing this for you. And yes, I know that high of voltage is bad, Im not a fool. As I said, I don't want to run that voltage that high all the time, I simply tried to "go as high as I could". Ill run p95 later when I have time to tweak around, doing stuff atm.

rjv1.png

My FX8120/8320 didn't even want to boot at 1.55V+ CPU-NB but it was enough to reach 3100 memory clock ;)

The plc of HWMonitor looks like it reflects idle temps. I'd like to see that one after 20 minutes of P95 blend. Also, looks like you used the Automatic overclocking tool in bios. Please post pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. Want to see what your current memory frequency is.

Im assuming you guys think Im full of crap, but I'm really not. Im simply confused why people seem to have trouble getting over 4.2 with this chip. My setup is mediocre at best. I even went back and tweaked more today and got 4.6ghz with less voltage than before (higher multiplier, less fsb)

yes yes, I know my ram is crappy... I just haven't found a need to upgrade it yet.

Here is cpuz, and that temp is 5 tests on intel burn test at "standard". It normally hits like 51 and stays there, but today its 54 for whatever reason. I will do a prime 95 test later on, i promise.

edit : just noticed, my multiplier is set at 230, its throttled back in this picture for whatever reason
vv1c.png

Looks like from the 7x multiplier in CPU-z "CPU" tab that you still have Cool N Quiet and maybe other "green" technologies enabled. Is this correct? We normally disable Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C6, C1E and APM to get max performance and max overclocks and to make sure all the cores are pulling the same load all the time. Particularly, Turbo works to allow only a couple of cores at a time to accelerate while the others hold back. This is to limit power consumption and heat.

The Intelburntest "Standard" level test does not use much RAM and is not as intense as the Prime95 blend. If you use Intelburn, configure it with the custom mode to use at least 50% of the available RAM.

We are not trying to be critical or negative but we just want to be evaluating your claims on a "comparing apples with apples and oranges with oranges" basis.

Hmm, I have c6 enabled, but the rest are disabled. I followed a pretty solid guide I found on youtube taht explained each setting and why to disable/enable said setting.

Again, I want to reiterate -> I am NOT "bragging" or "showing off" anything. I am trying to get the best overclock possible, and its a point of concern that I can so "easily" hit 4.5+ when others are BSOD'ing at 4.1-4.3 with this chip.

Im gonna go triple check my bios settings real fast, I have a pretty good break here.

it's cool and quiet that's on.
but i must say I just installed one that will do 4.8 on air, p95 stable for 2 hours.

I wish to hell you would get that cpu/nb voltage down that's much to high even for me.

Dont worry caddi, that 4.9ghz was a one time thing for me right now. I also checked my bios, cool n quiet is definitely off though. I had "APM" on still, so I disabled that too.

Right now, I have these settings for 4.6ghz, Id love to see your 4.8 if you are willing to share

FSB - 230
Multiplier - 20.0
CPU voltage - 1.36875 volts
CPU/NB - 1.225 volts
NB voltage - 1.125 volts

I have no clue what the other voltages do, so Im not touching them until I understand all of this.

edit: re-ran intel burn test at "high" (4096mb), and my temps hit 56c, then dropped to 54c and stayed there the whole test. Im going to run it 10 times (roughly 20 minutes) and see what happens to my temps.

Last edited:
I know Caddi_Daddi has hit the sack and not sure when he might get back. Looks like the radar says he has cold azz precipitation headed his way by morning his time.

I doubt he has the 4.8Ghz thing in his possession anymore. It was a friends rig that he put the cpu in after he bought two taking a look-see at the P-States. The one with a 20x P-State of 1.295 volts would do 4.8Ghz on air and NOT another stable Mhz no matter what voltage you flailed it with. So he did not need it at all for his good water rigs.
RGone...

Ah alright, thanks for the heads up. We're getting a few feet of snow where Im at, not very fun haha.

Its seems to me, theres a some luck, and some lack of knowlage playing in here.

Its about getting the best oc without going crazy on the volts, and its seems you went beyond crazy, and hit insane voltage.

I have seen this before, they will work, but as said above, enjoy it while it lasts, cos it wont last long.

Heat is a killer yes, but if you have something designe for 1.2v volts and your sending 1.6, at some point this will break, as you do damage with every boot up you do.

With that said, the screen you took with the temps, no where, is there an indication that you ever had the system turned up 100% cpu useage, and for how long.

I'd like to see the temps after 4/6 hours of Prime95, if your still at 55, then i think you need to share the secrets of that rig with the world, cos people use water and dont even get such low temps, on a heavy OC.

Back