• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM3+ Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BloodyROAR

Registered
good day!
as of now i am using an ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 mobo
then recently i acquired an ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA (without the Z)
can you help me decide which motherboard to use?
i am using FX8320E cpu

thank you in advance

Both are highly capable motherboards. If one of them fits your needs a little better (i.e. # of SATA ports, etc.) or fits the aesthetics you like then that's your board.

Same difference? What are you needs? Goals with overclocking?

overclocking goals? hmmm want to push more going 4.5GHz
i just read that the CROSSHAIR V FORMULA has 8+2 power phase which is very good for OC

Go with the CHVF, hands down it's got a better chance of going over 4.5 than the Pro, with adequate cooling you should get close to 5.0 GHz

Go with the CHVF, hands down it's got a better chance of going over 4.5 than the Pro, with adequate cooling you should get close to 5.0 GHz

I havve to agree with this. As the owner of a M5A99FX (two, actually) and several FX chips, I can tell you the CHVF will overclock that chip better. The M5A99FX is a solid board, I love 'em, but the power section of the Crosshair is noticeably better. When you hit a wall with the Pro, you'll have to wonder if it's the board holding you back. No such worries with the CHVF.

If for no other reason, you have about the best board ever made for overclocking that chip, wouldn't make sense not to use it. Even if the Pro is a prettier board. LOL

What are you using as a CPU cooler?

i am using a Noctua NH-D15

WOAH! never thought of going 5GHz! i guess i will be limited with my cooler... hehehe

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I havve to agree with this. As the owner of a M5A99FX (two, actually) and several FX chips, I can tell you the CHVF will overclock that chip better. The M5A99FX is a solid board, I love 'em, but the power section of the Crosshair is noticeably better. When you hit a wall with the Pro, you'll have to wonder if it's the board holding you back. No such worries with the CHVF.

If for no other reason, you have about the best board ever made for overclocking that chip, wouldn't make sense not to use it. Even if the Pro is a prettier board. LOL

i see.. thank you for the reply!
now its time to delete my M5A99FX drivers and swap it out with CHVF

The NH-D15 will stand up to any cooler on the market. They're solid and will be within a degree or two of the top cooler, if not at the top.

Back