• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 965 BE overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tfistere

Just joined overclockers so I'm new to the whole forum thing. My system specs are:
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
500GB 7200RPM HDD
1 TB 7200RPM HDD
XFX Double-D 6870

I'd like to overclock my CPU to 4GHz. I've stably gotten it to that speed at a 1.475 voltage in AMD overdrive. However when I run the stress test in Overdrive the temperatures starting pushing close to 60 degrees C. Is that too hot for gaming temps on the stock fan cooler? I'm looking at liquid cooling as an option. Is that something I should consider if I plan to do any overclocking?

Welcome!

To your list of components, please add info about the make and model of your case and the make ans watt rating of your PSU. Also, What is the speed rating of your GSkill ram? 1333? 1600? 1866?

Then please download and install the following reporting, monitoring and stress testing tools: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95. Don't us AMDOverdrive as an overclocking tool or a stress tester. Use the bios. We'll help you with that. Use Prime95 to stress test. AMDOD is a wimpy, inadequate stress tester.

You cannot expect to overclock with the stock CPU cooler. Don't waste your time our ours trying to.

My case is a COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer SGC-1000-KWN1 Black SECC / ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower. My power supply is a Prudent Way PWI-PR550 550 watt. RAM speed is DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666). I have CPU-Z, GPU-Z, HWMonitor, and Prime95 installed.

good now put all of that into your signature so it is easily viewable. 60c is pretty high i never liked anything above 55. Are you on the stock CPU cooler?

Now open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Report back with what the max core temps and CPU temps are. The CPU temp may show up generically as one of the TMPINx lines so if it's missing, tell us what the max core temps were after the stress test and what the max TMPIN0, TMPIN1 and TMPIN2 tempers were.

After running Prime95 for 20 minutes with the CPU overclocked to 4Ghz at 1.475 volts I had a maximum temperature of 71 degrees C on TMPIN1 and 34 degrees C on TMPIN0. TMPIN2 displayed 0 degrees for a max. The Core temperatures are all reading zero.

The core temps are all reading zero because you have activated the core unlocking feature in bios. That interferes with the core temp reading. There are no cores to unlock in that CPU anyway so you might as well disable that feature so you can get a core temp reading. Core temp is the most critical temp to monitor. Please disable that feature and run the stress test again. TMPIN1 appears to be the CPU socket temp. At 71 that's right on the cusp of being too high.

A very narrow "cusp" at that. 70c is generally what we think of as a temp to stay below on cpu temp. He has almost cusp'ed out.

After disabling the core unlocker in the BIOS I ran the stress test again. These are the max temp results after about twenty minutes:
TMPIN0-33 C
TMPIN1-66 C
TMPIN2-81 C

All cores: 69 C

This again was at a voltage of 1.4750 and a core speed of 4.0Ghz.

Welcome!

To your list of components, please add info about the make and model of your case and the make ans watt rating of your PSU. Also, What is the speed rating of your GSkill ram? 1333? 1600? 1866?

Then please download and install the following reporting, monitoring and stress testing tools: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95. Don't us AMDOverdrive as an overclocking tool or a stress tester. Use the bios. We'll help you with that. Use Prime95 to stress test. AMDOD is a wimpy, inadequate stress tester.

You cannot expect to overclock with the stock CPU cooler. Don't waste your time our ours trying to.

I think that pretty much sums it up

1.475 seems like a lot of V -Core for that clock speed, I was able to get my 955be to 4.0 with 1.40. Though all chips are different you may want to try and see if you can get it stable with a lower v-core. With that said, those temps are high, i wouldn't be running it at those and be comfortable about my CPU lasting.

TMPIN1 is most likely your CPU (socket) temp. You need an aftermarket cooler.

This is with a stock cooler? Invest in the Hyper 212+ or EVO. my skin burns just thinking about 71C

Yes, Hyper 212 evo. Great bang for the buck and will be quite adequate for your application.

So I would be able to run at 4ghz on a air cooler(hyper 212 evo), is liquid cooling worth investing in then?

So I would be able to run at 4ghz on a air cooler(hyper 212 evo), is liquid cooling worth investing in then?

Likely, yes. No guarantee, however, because every CPU is different, even within the same make and model. Purity of the batch of silicone used, subtle variations in manufacturing processes, how hard the chip building crew was partying the night before, etc. all make for variation. Not to mention the specific supporting components in the system such as motherboard, ram, case ventilation and PSU.

Yes but you'll still reach about 55-60C under load which is OK as long as you got airflow through the case. My X6 1090T @ 3.8GHz reaches 53C under full load with that heatsink.

hyper212 evo is your best best, its as good as alot of "water" cooling that cost 2x3 times as much. Try it first this time of year it should be easily had for ~15 bucks if you keep an eye out...

Back