• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 965BE OC Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n7plus1

With my new cooler installed this past monday, i decided to start messing about a little more aggressively. I bought a CM Hyper 212 EVO. The motherboard is an ASUS M4N98TD EVO. Im currently stable @ 4.2GHz with just a voltage tweak and multiplier tweak. I got to 4.1GHz on stock voltage. Its currently set @ 1.55 in BIOS but hardware monitor/CPU-Z both read 1.49/1.50.

While playing BF3, on ultra settings, im only @ 43'C...which is effing awesome as before i was IDLING @ 47'C/48'C.

The FSB doesnt seem to like ANY change from 200...any ideas? Im planning on trying different memory..

i did a quick search after posting that question and yes its stock voltage seems to be around 1.4v, i was just curious as my 960t seems to be able to reach 4ghz with only just over 1.4v strange how much these 2 chips differ.

i did a quick search after posting that question and yes its stock voltage seems to be around 1.4v, i was just curious as my 960t seems to be able to reach 4ghz with only just over 1.4v strange how much these 2 chips differ.

They do differ a lot, i got a stable 4Ghz @ 1.37v (1.38v with LLC boost)
Passed a 9 hour torture test.

picture.php

Some people can't do that without going over 1.45v and some substantial cooling, others are somewhere in between.

@ n7plus1, Great pic of Jezza there :D
+1 to that!

also it is amazing how much amd chips do differ even on the suposedly same chips, especially with the 960t's as some dont have stable locked cores, whereas i was lucky and both the locked cores on mine are prime stable when unlocked and overclocked.
i guess its just hit and miss when buying almost any cpu. :shrug:

kinda makes you wonder why AMD makes their chips so differently

The PII 965BE is a Deneb core CPU. The 960T is really a Thuban with two cores disabled. The Thubans have the advantage of a later stepping (minor tweaks in the architecture and in the manufacturing process) that make them more power efficient. Denebs have either a C2 or C3 stepping and the 960T has an E0 stepping. Farther down the alphabet is better as far as steppings go.

+1 to that!

also it is amazing how much amd chips do differ even on the suposedly same chips, especially with the 960t's as some dont have stable locked cores, whereas i was lucky and both the locked cores on mine are prime stable when unlocked and overclocked.
i guess its just hit and miss when buying almost any cpu. :shrug:

haha, thanks, i love me some topgear...i had to catch up with this current/past season (18) and downloaded them all yesterday. BBCAmerica always shows old re-runs :(

yeah i feel like buying from AMD seems like hit or miss...not all of the same model are alike.

i see, so the true 4 core denebs are a lil bit more power hungry than the thubans?

Yes, that is the case. Also realize that within the same core and stepping line you have CPUs that are binned lower or higher than others and it may be mostly a marketing strategy rather than actual differences in the ability of the chips themselves. For instance, a Deneb 955 at 3.2 ghz and 1.35 vcore becomes a Deneb 975 at 3.6 ghz simply by setting the default multiplier and vcore higher at the factory. In other words, AMD has done the overclocking, or some of it, for you.

Back