• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon II x3 450 Rana... Need help to OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
to be honest i did not even notice that. but i will run with current stats and see what happens.

Please add to your Sig, info about the PSU manufacturer. Is the PSU Apevia as well as the case?

to be honest i dont know. it was a prebuilt system by cybertronpc i got back in 2008. had to case the side off to see the sticker .. its an ultra atx 600w

I'm looking at you GF 210 video card. If you're having trouble running games that would be the first thing I would upgrade. That's a very low end card. That's got to be much more of a bottleneck than your CPU.

oddly enough before the mob swap and cpu swap, wasnt having any issues.. now i have tearing, and graphical problems.. only other thing i changed is os from 32 to 64.

What board and CPU were you running before?

Sounds like a video driver issue with the 64-bit OS to me. Were you using Win 7 32-bit before?

Also, if you bought that system back in 2008 it's probably about time you replaced the PSU.

Last edited:
What board and CPU were you running before?

Sounds like a video driver issue with the 64-bit OS to me. Were you using Win 7 32-bit before?

Also, if you bought that system back in 2008 it's probably about time you replaced the PSU.

(Posted this a few posts back.)
my previous setup was..

•AMD Phenom 9500 2.2GHz Quad Core Processor
•Asus M3A Motherboard
•2048 MB (2GB) DDR II 800MHz PC6400 Memory
•250GB 7,200 RPM Hard Drive
•20X DVD±RW Burner Dual Layer Drive
•nVidia GeForce 7300GT 256MB PCI-Express Video Card
•8 Channel High Definition onboard sound
•10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Interface
•X-CRUISER Tower with 600 Watt Power Supply

Yes I was using 32bit before, had no issue with graphics, and I was satisfied with the way games like stracraft 2, supreme command 2, diablo 3, aion, & mechwarrior online, would run.
Starcraft2 -I ran on low-medium settings roughly 32fps.
Supreme Commander 2 -I ran on high settings, roughly 40-60 fps given it there were over 400+ units on the screen.
Diablo 3 -30-40fps
Aion -20-30fps with the default engine & Max Settings. (It has 2 different engines Default & High quality)
Mechwarrior online - 10-15fps. This is on low settings, with tweaks to a couple files.

That was all with my old setup, with the exception of the GT210 graphics card.. That is what graphics card I have been using since earlier this year.

EVGA GeForce 210 DDR3 vs EVGA GeForce 8400 GS DDR3

The only difference is the 210 has 16 cores, while the 8400 has 8 cores. Also the refresh rate. Aside from that I see no difference stats wise. Im more of an xbox 360 gamer then pc gamer. In either case, since im on a budget, a current gpu would set me back as the funds are always tight around christmas, I am sure you understand how christmas can be. As far as my psu, i havent had any issues with it as of late, and it has a lifetime warranty per cybertronpc, should anything happen outside of system upgrades. Nature, static discharge. If an upgrade cause the psu unit to go out, then that voids the warranty. I already talked to a cybertronpc tech in regards to the gigabyte board and amd 450. They fit within my warranty, and seeing how the tech I spoke with is an OC'er as well, said that should I overclock the cpu, as long as I was within the limits, that my psu should last me another few years. I figure if I bought a new psu, it would be around next year this time, unless nature decides to take it out, then I get a new one for free.

Anyway im rambling, heres the comparison. I can oc the GT 210, but havent a clue even where to start there. its another project.

EVGA GeForce 210 DDR3 (What I have installed now)

Performance NVIDIA 210
16 Processing Cores
520 MHz GPU
1238 MHz Shader Clock

Memory
1024 MB, 64 bit DDR3
1200 MHz (effective)
9.6 GB/s Memory Bandwidth

Interface
PCI-E 2.0 x16
DVI-I, HDMI, VGA

Resolution & Refresh
240Hz Max Refresh Rate

Max Analog : 2048x1536
Max Digital : 2560x1600 (Dual Link DVI Only)

(The card I got my wife)
EVGA GeForce 8400 GS DDR3

PerformanceNVIDIA 8400 GS
8 Processing Cores
520 MHz GPU
1238 MHz Shader Clock

Memory
1024 MB, 64 bit DDR3
1200 MHz (effective)
9.6 GB/s Memory Bandwidth

Interface
PCI-E 2.0 16x
DVI-I, HDMI, VGA

Resolution & Refresh
120Hz Max Refresh Rate

Max Analog : 2048x1536
Max Digital : 1920x1200

But the question still is, why did those games seem to run better on the old system? Was it that you were running a quad core CPU and now are running a tri core? Or is it something else? Is it the video card? Is it the video card driver? Is it the change in OS? Have you downloaded and installed the latest video driver for that card from Nvidia?

It sounds like you are running some PC games that are several years old. Right? Only a few of the most recent crop of PC games can even take advantage of four core CPUs. Generally, PC games aren't well "multithreaded". One thing I would check on would be how much of the CPU is actually being utilized when you play games. To check on that you could download one of those "CPU Meter" gadgets that shows graphically how much of the CPU is being used and how much each each core is being utilized. You would also need to hook up a second monitor so you could watch the gadget meter as you played games. Play the game on one diplay and drag the gadget over to the other display so you could observe it. They also make those gadget meters for GPUs.

One thing to reckon with here is that unlike your Phenom I X4 CPU your were using, your new Ranna core CPU has no L3 cache and that can make a big difference when running games.

Having said all that, looks like you have a nice, balanced overclock on your system that seems to be really stable.

Last edited:
i do have the latest drivers, i did a uninstall, driver sweeper, ast night in case i got a bad install of the driver. still the same issue. Though i probably should note that out of all the games listed, the only one I play in my resolution, 1920x1080 is AION. the others I played in the lowest resolution. Still though before the os changed, i had 4gb or ram, via 1gb sticks on win 7 32bit, didnt know about the 1gb not being fully used in win 7 32, reason why i upgraded to 64.I am half tempted to downgrade by to 32 bit to see if maybe its an os version conflict. You mentioned the L3 cache, is it possible that maybe its disabled in bios??

i do have rainmeter, it has a system meter. i dont know if that would be the same thing? Going of the meter for rainmeter, anywhere from 50% to a few spikes up to 100% so maybe im not using all of the cpu? even the windows gadget says the same thing.

It's possible but not very likely that the L3 cache is disabled and can be activated with core unlocking. I guess if I were you I would jot down your current overclock setting so that you could re-enter them if necessary and then I would try core unlocking. The motherboard may or not cooperate with the extra power draw but I would try it, at least at stock speeds and voltages. I think bad L3 cache is why those chips were usually downgraded at the factory from a quad to a tri-core but it wouldn't hurt to try. Those Rana core chips are pretty good for general computing but may not be a good choice for gaming.

ill try that .. something that came to mind is that in case its not the cpu, if i downgraded to win 7 32bit, would that affect my oc progress? memory wise?

i do have rainmeter, it has a system meter. i dont know if that would be the same thing? Going of the meter for rainmeter, anywhere from 50% to a few spikes up to 100% so maybe im not using all of the cpu? even the windows gadget says the same thing.

Whenever the CPU spikes to 100% you would probably get lag or studder but the other problems you mention like shearing I wouldn't think should accrue from lack of CPU power. Is your GPU overheating? Try taking the side panel off the case and setting a household fan to blow into the open case - just as an experiment - and see if things improve.

Whenever the CPU spikes to 100% you would probably get lag or studder but the other problems you mention like shearing I wouldn't think should accrue from lack of CPU power. Is your GPU overheating? Try taking the side panel off the case and setting a household fan to blow into the open case - just as an experiment - and see if things improve.

To be honest, first ill mention that I clean my system our every 2 weeks of dust and insure all nuks & crannie's are dust free, i have yet to have my side cover on for the past 6 months.
On the note of gpu, its at stock settings and the temps are fine. no issue there

It may not be a good idea to run the system routinely with the side cover off as it interrupts the flow of air through the case and can result in a lack of cooling for motherboard components.

so after some discussion with my mother in law, she graciously offered to get me the processor you linked above, i will ordered it later today after she gets out of work. now here is my question as i have started the return process on the other amd athlon x3 that i purchased, since the one that is currently in my computer as we "type" per say, my wife isnt much for graphics and will probably run around 1280x768, do you think that the processor would handle the load with that resolution, and the graphics card mention above the 8400 gs. Ill still want to oc the amd ahtlon, as another program she uses is cpu dependant, but in terms of the build i listed above.

I.E. This Build
AMD Athlon II X3 450 95W Processor
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 - CPU Cooler with 3 Direct Contact Heat Pipes
Crucial 4 GB DDR3-1333
Gigabyte AMD 760G + SB710 Chipset DDR3 1333 AM3+ Micro ATX Motherboard
Aspire Silver/Silver X-Plorer ATX Mid-Tower
Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS
EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1 GB DDR3

would she have an issue? I cant really put her system together as i didnt want her to open just one big gift, i want to teach her a little about how things go together, hence the extra presents. I cant recall the program at the moment, i just know its very cpu heavy. runs around 80% or more on an old 2.2ghz. cant recall the model either.

Back