• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon II x3 450 Rana... Need help to OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Let me be clear on what you are asking me. Sorry, I just had surgery two days ago and the hydrocodone makes my thought process a little fuzzy at times.

Sounds like you are asking me if you put the X3 Rana in your wife's computer paired with the GS 8400 will it be adequate to run the video at 1280x768 for everyday computing. That's one question, correct? The answer would be "yes". No question . . . a long as the video card itself is capable of producing screen resolutions at that pixel level. You can easily check that out by researching the manufacturer's website for that product. The limiting factor there would be the video ram amount, 256 mb, right?

The other question concerns a CPU-demanding game your wife likes to run and you are wondering if the X3 Rana/GS 8400 combo will handle that. Correct? Well, that's harder to answer because it's sort of the same issue as you have been dealing with all along. To answer the question, install that game on your computer and try it out before you remove the Rana.

the game is already on my computer, i.e. aion, which she and i play together. since it is both process & graphically intensive, more graphic then process. its the game i was having the tearing and discoloration issues with. since i played at 1920x1080 with my x4 phenom, i see why this could not be the case with the rana. but there again, i was running win 7 32 bit as well.. so for the sake of memory i may downgrade to 32bit over the weekend and see if maybe it could be just an os issue. on another note, i hope you also read my post in regards to the AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1 GHz Black Edition OEM CPU. my mother in law is helping me out with that one. my question is will it fit in the gigabyte board? as my x4 phenom did not, reason i went with the rana in the first place was due to my x4 phenom not fitting

The PII X2 550 should work in the Gigabyte board. Just go to the manufacturer's website and check the CPU support list.

The reason your Phenom X4 wouldn't work in the Gigabyet board is that the Phenom X4 is a Phenom I which uses DDR2 memory and will only work in a socket AM2/AM2+ motherboard. The Gigabyte board is DDR3, socket AM3/AM3+ and the X3 Rana is an AM3 CPU. However, socket AM3 CPUs will work in socket AM2/AM2+ motherboards as they have a backwardly compatible memory controller that recognizes DDR2 memory.

the game is already on my computer, i.e. aion, which she and i play together. since it is both process & graphically intensive, more graphic then process. its the game i was having the tearing and discoloration issues with. since i played at 1920x1080 with my x4 phenom, i see why this could not be the case with the rana. but there again, i was running win 7 32 bit as well.. so for the sake of memory i may downgrade to 32bit over the weekend and see if maybe it could be just an os issue. on another note, i hope you also read my post in regards to the AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1 GHz Black Edition OEM CPU. my mother in law is helping me out with that one. my question is will it fit in the gigabyte board? as my x4 phenom did not, reason i went with the rana in the first place was due to my x4 phenom not fitting

Hm.. I will let you know now that Aion is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive. A run through Sanctum with a Phenom II X4 on a 680GTX gives you basically a flat zero on FPS until everything loads. The same run on a 3930k never drops below 58 FPS on the same GPU. You will have to make a bit of an investment and buy AM3+/xx (If you don't have already) motherboards and something like FX-6300s or 8320s if you want smooth gameplay in Aion (This game utilizes multiple cores pretty well, so AMD doesn't do too poorly with it)

Thanks for the insight, Anonaru. Ry0uSh1n, now you have some solid information with which to make a decision. I'm not a gamer so I'm sorry I couldn't be of more concrete help.

First I apologize for the delay in my response. Ran into a family matter that needed my utmost attention.

Second, I wanted to thank you trents & Anonaru for your insight into this matter.

Third, per your recommendation trents I have installed the AMD Phenom x2 550 3.1Ghz Black Edition processor. I have not had a chance to do much outside of looking at the different settings within the bios to see if there is a difference. Will create a new thread in regards to this. As well as update my sys info in my sig.

Back