• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK...
Back home.. still running with no issues.
Stopping and enjoying my tiny OC :)

Thanks again guys.

Actually I have a question...
I also use a benchmark called WPrime and I get between 12-13 secs when I am overclocked.. but if I use stock speed, I get over 15 secs... Same thing happens with AIDA64's benchmark.. I get much higher scores at stock speeds vs overclock...any idea why this is?

Actually I have a question...
I also use a benchmark called WPrime and I get between 12-13 secs when I am overclocked.. but if I use stock speed, I get over 15 secs... Same thing happens with AIDA64's benchmark.. I get much higher scores at stock speeds vs overclock...any idea why this is?

The LESS time to complete WPrime all the BETTER. Got to know whether lower or higher results are best. In the case of WPrime...LESS is much BETTER.

RGone...

The LESS time to complete WPrime all the BETTER. Got to know whether lower or higher results are best. In the case of WPrime...LESS is much BETTER.

RGone...

oh shoot..well that makes sense.. I don't know why I thought wprime the higher the better lol.. but on AIDA look what I mean...
the saved data at the botton in green is when I had it OC to 4.4ghz and the yellow one is auto boost on stock.

Attachments

• AIDA bench.JPG
    AIDA bench.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 121
OK ..so I ran the benchmark once more using my new stable OC which I should have done instead of using an old OC and compare it to stock..so here are the results compared to the stock auto boost and 4.4ghz..not bad... CPU QUEEN.JPG CPU photo.JPG CPU Zlib.JPG CPU AES.JPG CPU HASH.JPG CPU VP8.JPG CPU Julia.JPG CPU Mandel.JPG

I also wanted to share with you guys Unigine Valley benchmark..stock speeds and oc with card oc as well...
Not a big improvement, but something is something :)

Attachments

• Valleystock.JPG
    Valleystock.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Valley 4.2ghz oc.JPG
    Valley 4.2ghz oc.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Valley 4.2ghz oc and card oc.JPG
    Valley 4.2ghz oc and card oc.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 114
Recommended boards for overclocking on FX, from best to worst:
Crosshair V Formula
990FX Extreme9
GA-990FXA-UD7
Sabertooth 990FX
Fatal1ty 990FX Professional
GA-990FXA-UD5
990FX Extreme6
GA-990FXA-UD3
GA-970A-UD3P

Other boards need not apply.

I am going to go on record as saying the Sabertooth R2 is a much better board than the Extreme 9 with its puny chokes and propensity to throttle. I also dispute the UD7 being better because there are hardly any users in these forums who have ever posted any kind of overclocking results period. While evidence abounds about how good an overclocking board the Sabertooth R2 is.

Last edited:
I don't leave stress testing software like Prime95 running unattended. But that's just me.

I know.. I see what you mean.. that was not smart, but these chips are fail safe and the system will either lock up and reboot before any damage happens to the chip.

I had a machine with a 1070T lock up overnight can't remember if it blue screened. The cpu was dead as a doornail after that. On topic I have a 6300 that is running at 4.7 GHz in a Sabertooth 1st generation and the heat is more manageable than when I had an 8350 in it. The 6300 is a very good performer at 4.7 GHz vs 3.5 stock.

I had a machine with a 1070T lock up overnight can't remember if it blue screened. The cpu was dead as a doornail after that. On topic I have a 6300 that is running at 4.7 GHz in a Sabertooth 1st generation and the heat is more manageable than when I had an 8350 in it. The 6300 is a very good performer at 4.7 GHz vs 3.5 stock.

I was on the phone with a bud of mine shooting the breeze and him glancing at the TV while we talked. Behind on the floor about 12ft away was a board he was testing with P95 Blend mode. I heard him shout and wondered what the hey...about 5 mins later he was back after unplugging the power supply since the VRM area had been ablaze. That is why I don't leave P95 to itself. YMMV. He could have lost his home had he not been home and 12ft away when he realized he was blazing or make that the mobo.

RGone...ster.

I was on the phone with a bud of mine shooting the breeze and him glancing at the TV while we talked. Behind on the floor about 12ft away was a board he was testing with P95 Blend mode. I heard him shout and wondered what the hey...about 5 mins later he was back after unplugging the power supply since the VRM area had been ablaze. That is why I don't leave P95 to itself. YMMV. He could have lost his home had he not been home and 12ft away when he realized he was blazing or make that the mobo.

RGone...ster.
good to know... I guess I won't be doing that again :-/, I guess I got lucky this time.
Anyway, I thought the combo of this FX-6300 and the HD 6970 was going to be spectacular.. I am not impressed. I used to have a Phenom 960 3.4ghz quad and an HD 5870 that pulled very similar numbers if not the same... oh well.

good to know... I guess I won't be doing that again :-/, I guess I got lucky this time.
Anyway, I thought the combo of this FX-6300 and the HD 6970 was going to be spectacular.. I am not impressed. I used to have a Phenom 960 3.4ghz quad and an HD 5870 that pulled very similar numbers if not the same... oh well.

Need to clock the 6300 higher than 4.2Ghz...

An FX @ 5Ghz is equal to that of a Phenom @ 4Ghz.

At the same clock speed, the FX six cores do not separate themselves from the quad core Phenom IIs in performance. Remember, they aren't six true cores. They are six modules that share cache resources so in some ways they are only a 3 core CPU. With a better motherboard and top air cooling, 4.5.-4.6 ghz is not uncommon with those CPUs. That's when they pull away from their Phenom II predecessors because they not capable of those higher overclocks on air.

Last edited:

RGone...ster.

Wow. Imagine burning your house down due to overclocking your cpu? Nobody but a fellow overclocker would ever believe you. Glad he was right there.

Need to clock the 6300 higher than 4.2Ghz...

An FX @ 5Ghz is equal to that of a Phenom @ 4Ghz.

I thought Piledriver vs Phenom II ipc was only slightly in favor of the Phenom II's? Like a few percent at most.

For what its worth. I have read so many threads where the FX cpu's mop the floor with Phenom II's as far as gaming goes. This coming from people I trust on these forums who own and use say 6300's and 1090T's. I own many Phenom II's and Piledriver cpu's but I don't game and am too lazy to ever run any kind of benchmaring.

I thought Piledriver vs Phenom II ipc was only slightly in favor of the Phenom II's? Like a few percent at most.

pretty much. It shows more depending on what you are doing.
Bulldozer was a mess, Piledriver kinda fixed that, so it's kinda the same to a phenom 'cause it's based off of awful architecture IMO.
Gaming? FX 6300 over Phenom II anyday.

magdiel, post some screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory. It will give us a peek under the hood so to speak. Maybe well see something that can give you a bit more performance. That said, the Fx chips are good chips, but like the gents said above, overclocking it a bit more will really let it stretch it's legs. Problem is, I would not attempt to push that board any harder.

magdiel, post some screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory. It will give us a peek under the hood so to speak. Maybe well see something that can give you a bit more performance. That said, the Fx chips are good chips, but like the gents said above, overclocking it a bit more will really let it stretch it's legs. Problem is, I would not attempt to push that board any harder.

sure.. here you go..

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    47.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Memory.PNG
    Memory.PNG
    28 KB · Views: 94
  • SPD.PNG
    SPD.PNG
    30.1 KB · Views: 96
Ok your Ram timings are correct, you can try and see if you can get the Ht Link Speed and Nb Frequency up. It will help performance a bit, 2400-2600 Mhz is likely doable but I'm not sure on your motherboard. Additionally, raising the Nb Frequency, may require raising the Cpu Nb voltage "not the Nb Voltage", usually around 1.25 v will get it there.

Back