• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
perhaps.. that'll be an extra $30 tho.. but I've learned that cheaping out on a motherboard has caused me many issues lol
magdiel it all depends on what you're looking for in the Fx 8xxx/ motherboard combo. If you're just looking for stock settings up to around 4.5 Ghz, you don't need an Asus Sabertooth. I personally tend to stick with Asus boards on my AMD Fx chips because we have seen so many revisions of the Gigabyte boards it is hard to say which one to choose and or if it's going to work. There are other less expensive boards you can get but unfortunately, we don't have many cross through here. The Asrock Fatal1ty Killer seems to be a decent board. Msi has in the past not made very durable boards for AMD and have been know in the past to have failures in the VRM area. I don't know if this is still the case but, again it does make it tough to recommend them. If it were my money and I wasn't looking to really push the chip the Asus M5A990Fx Pro or M5A99X Evo would be on my short list. I own a M5A99X Evo which is very similar to the M5A990Fx Pro and it works well up to about 4.5 Ghz.

If you're looking to push, then for me the go to board is the Sabertooth or the Asrock Extreme 9 but big cooling will also need to be addressed.

@ magdiel1975...

...Okay I hear you talkiing about another mohterboard when you just bought one. You like its' speed with SSD vs what you had and your wife still has old SSD speed and you can make a proposition in your mind that giving your wife your board and getting you another will be just aces. I fully understand since I am trying to finish up the crossover from doing just that very thing.

But here is the big booty kicker. Your cpu is bad unless you give her your slightly flawed FX-6300 which she will never know good or bad about and get her working FX-8350. She just wants to use the computer. At least most of them are that way.

Wow we got that swap made and now we need to get a mobo for "your" FX-8350. Get the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Get out of your rowboat and get into something with a V-hull for a smoother ride and get some gas engine propulsion so you are not always thinking you are rowing/pushing more than riding. $30.00 over two years ain't squat. I am betting as Me Now Americans, most of them/us waste that $30.00 in a month and neverstop to think about it. I know I probably do by feeding my dog table scraps I "purposely" save for him. It is all perspective. I am not so blind as I once was...but am also h*ll of lot older today.

But the choice is still up to you. AND do not forget that even with the board you have now...COOLING, MAKE IT BIG COOLING would change your entire outlook on overclocking computers. Day and night when I jump off this FX-8350 on air right now to my FX-8350 on some shazam water cooling.

RGone...

...Okay I hear you talkiing about another mohterboard when you just bought one. You like its' speed with SSD vs what you had and your wife still has old SSD speed and you can make a proposition in your mind that giving your wife your board and getting you another will be just aces. I fully understand since I am trying to finish up the crossover from doing just that very thing.

But here is the big booty kicker. Your cpu is bad unless you give her your slightly flawed FX-6300 which she will never know good or bad about and get her working FX-8350. She just wants to use the computer. At least most of them are that way.

Wow we got that swap made and now we need to get a mobo for "your" FX-8350. Get the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Get out of your rowboat and get into something with a V-hull for a smoother ride and get some gas engine propulsion so you are not always thinking you are rowing/pushing more than riding. $30.00 over two years ain't squat. I am betting as Me Now Americans, most of them/us waste that $30.00 in a month and neverstop to think about it. I know I probably do by feeding my dog table scraps I "purposely" save for him. It is all perspective. I am not so blind as I once was...but am also h*ll of lot older today.

But the choice is still up to you. AND do not forget that even with the board you have now...COOLING, MAKE IT BIG COOLING would change your entire outlook on overclocking computers. Day and night when I jump off this FX-8350 on air right now to my FX-8350 on some shazam water cooling.

RGone...

I hear what you're saying.. the reason I bought her the 8350 is because she does a lot of video editing so she needs the power for that.. prob the FX6300 can do the task but what she does is pretty intense with all the effects she uses and such...I just feel she is not taking advantate of the full potential of the 8350 with her current board.

pretty intense with all the effects she uses and such...I just feel she is not taking advantage of the full potential of the 8350 with her current board.

Okay well I hear what you say also. Get her 16Gig of ram running at DDR3-1866 and get her enough beans to run 4.8GHz and she will say...dang honey what did you do to my stuff? You are such a sweet man. Hehehe. And you keep what you got. Now that sum funny shett.

RGone...

Okay well I hear what you say also. Get her 16Gig of ram running at DDR3-1866 and get her enough beans to run 4.8GHz and she will say...dang honey what did you do to my stuff? You are such a sweet man. Hehehe. And you keep what you got. Now that sum funny shett.

RGone...
Haha imagine that!!!

RGone...
haha.. yeah - but in order to get her 8350 to 4.8ghz she needs a major upgrade to her mobo :)

Hey guys... what is the "Load-Line Calibration" setting for? - I changed it to extreme and now I can oc to 4.2ghz with lower vcore...been running Prime95 for over 2hrs with no issues and lower voltage..very interesting. What does that feature do and should I leave it at "Extreme"?

Define easily Load Line Calibration >> As load of work to do begins to fill the cpu registers the cpu goes to work and needs more power > the load causes the power line to sag in voltage so Load Line Calibration is designed to overcome or fill in this sagging voltage to keep voltage to the required level. In user controlled overclock mode this would be the voltage set in bios by user.

However if the LLC circuit is poorly designed the circuit will send ToO much voltage called overshoot and then you have over voltage. Usually there are settings like Auto, low, medium, high, ultra high or 'similar' wording for levels of LLC. If the user monitors his voltages for under and over voltage and the LLC circuit is a good one, then only the level of LLC that actually keeps the cpu voltage as close to what is set IS used. Meaning some trial and error is required. Use only the level of LLC that is needed to keep cpu voltage to what is set in bios by user. That is what and how it is used.

RGone...

LLC is a feature that boards have to control the voltage droop that normally occurs when a processor is under load. The object is to have it set where it doesn't over shoot the set voltage by too much and also keeps it from drooping. Reason why you are stable at lower set voltage is the LLC is likely raising the voltage under load. Open Hwmonitor and run prime 20 minutes and then post a screen shot of Hwmonitor here so we can see what it's doing under load.

Err Gonester beat me too it.

I realized that even though I had selected "extreme" and saved settings.. it was actually back to AUTO when I went back to the bios.. I think what it did was once I selected extreme, saved and rebooted, it probably errored out and the dual bios kicked in and that's why that setting was back in AUTO.. so never mind what I said about that.. It was kind of weird to me because the voltage is supposed to be higher in extreme which would make the CPU hotter, but now it makes sense it wasn't getting hotter when infact it was acutally cooler than before because I didn't actually booted with the Extreme settings ON... I did however put new thermal paste when I was doing the swapping of CPU's so maybe that's why I am getting better temps.

I do notice that even when getting a stable 4.4ghz (3-4 hrs of prime95).. most benchmarks rate lower than 4.2ghz & 4.1ghz..why is that? 4.3ghz is horrible.

Last edited:
Better paste or a better mount. The mount usually makes more of a difference then the paste that's used.

I do notice that even when getting a stable 4.4ghz (3-4 hrs of prime95).. most benchmarks rate lower than 4.2ghz & 4.1ghz..why is that? 4.3ghz is horrible.

Why? Don't know!
Per Centage Increase

Have seen something very similar for any FX processor and it might occur with any processor ever made. Have not noticed such until I started looking very hard at just how hard to really push an FX processor since they get so d*mn hot and draw so much current thru the VRMs on the mobo. So I just began to calculate how much of an increase in performance there was by stepping up to the next speed and the next.

Now on a case by case basis, it might be that like in anything else there are just flat out resonating sweet spots. Might be nearly anything and I doubt I have the skills or equipment to dig out the actual cause, but I know of the situation and plan my cpu speed stops around what I have seen.

RGone...

Why? Don't know!
Per Centage Increase

Have seen something very similar for any FX processor and it might occur with any processor ever made. Have not noticed such until I started looking very hard at just how hard to really push an FX processor since they get so d*mn hot and draw so much current thru the VRMs on the mobo. So I just began to calculate how much of an increase in performance there was by stepping up to the next speed and the next.

Now on a case by case basis, it might be that like in anything else there are just flat out resonating sweet spots. Might be nearly anything and I doubt I have the skills or equipment to dig out the actual cause, but I know of the situation and plan my cpu speed stops around what I have seen.

RGone...

Thanks for this Rgone. Great read! I've got tweaking to do now

hey guys..
when I press the power button, I see the fans spin for a quick moment, then they stop for a sec, then come ON again and the computer then proceeds to post...is this normal or is it power failure? - It does it every time I turn on my computer.

Man you really need a sig magdiel, luckily I know what that is. You're using a Gigabyte board and that's common when OCd. You need to have APM enabled and your core boost set to the same speed as your overclock and it should stop.

Man you really need a sig magdiel, luckily I know what that is. You're using a Gigabyte board and that's common when OCd. You need to have APM enabled and your core boost set to the same speed as your overclock and it should stop.

APM is disabled.. core boost is disabled as well.

Enable core boost and set it to the same clock as your OC. So if you're running 4.2 then set core boost to 4.2 and the "double" boot should stop

Enable core boost and set it to the same clock as your OC. So if you're running 4.2 then set core boost to 4.2 and the "double" boot should stop

cool.. I will try and let you know :thup:

**Edit..
Thank you.. that fixed it. :)

Last edited:
Back