• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a question.

I have my CPU multiplyer set to 21 in bios, for 4.2 ghz. But when i run cpuz, it tells me the multiplayer is 18.5 and only at 3.7 Running prime95, this never changes. It stays static at 18.5

I double checked bios and it is @ 4.2 according to bios, and on the health screen showing 4.2

YOU need to start your own thread since you have the Gigabyte 970A-DS3P motherboard which is going to be its' very own exercise in trying to overclock.

Putting your question within a thread that is already over 100 posts long and not at all about the quirks of the more entry level gigabyte board you have is just not going to bring you the best of answers.

RGone...

Ok guys.. so I'm running very stable at 4.1ghz and has been great.. the only thing lingering that is kinda bothering me is the fact that the NB freq cannot be set any higher than stock 2000mhz because USB 3.0 will STOP working. - I have contacted Gigabyte but they keep saying it is a CPU limitation and not the board.. I have tried increasing the NB voltage to over 1.4v and it does the same thing... The HT link can be set higher to 2600mhz, but not the NB freq.
The only reason it bothers me is knowing it could be a faulty board. I have even thought if buying another one and testing it, but can't decide if I want to go through that. - Do you guys think it could be a CPU limitation?

The only reason it bothers me is knowing it could be a faulty board. I have even thought if buying another one and testing it, but can't decide if I want to go through that. - Do you guys think it could be a CPU limitation?

How many posts ago did I say that the IMC inside the cpu which uses CPU_NB could be weak? Yes that would be a cpu limitation.

No way in hale I would buy another cheap gigabyte board just to test. You go over to Newegg and read the user Pros/Cons and see how many of the later users are having issues. And most are not newbie user issues either it seems. Gigabyte works okay in spurts for some but acts so oddly in some ways that the real joy of board use can suffer. IMO.

RGone...

I took the FX-8350 from the wife's computer and put it on my board...no issues whatsoever when ocing the nb freq..so I guess Gigabyte tech was right..my cpu is the limiting factor lol

I took the FX-8350 from the wife's computer and put it on my board...no issues whatsoever when ocing the nb freq..so I guess Gigabyte tech was right..my cpu is the limiting factor lol

Now that is getting after the "why". Good deal. Now you know and you can decide what is next course of action. If you are going to do anything. Congrats on finding the problem.

RGone...

Now that is getting after the "why". Good deal. Now you know and you can decide what is next course of action. If you are going to do anything. Congrats on finding the problem.

RGone...

yeah.. well, I think Im good for now. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the board that was faulty since I had just gotten it. But I have learned that motherboards do make a huge difference. For instance, my wife has a GA-78LMT-USB3 running her FX-8350. It runs fine and I am not going to overclock hers, but if I would've known what I know now, I would have gotten her a much better board than that. She has the same Samsung Evo SSD I have and she is getting the same speeds I was getting with my old board (402MB/s).. now I am getting 540 MB/s (after updating all the drivers) and I am sure if she had a better board she would get the same speeds since we have the same exact drive. Never realized that components/devices on different motherboards could have such a dramatic impact in speeds.

Glad you figured out why!

IMHO, I wouldn't lose any sleep over not being able to get over 2000 Mhz NB. You'll never actually see a preformance difference anyways unless you bench.

2000 IS pretty ****ty. :p
I'm pretty sure that's the lowest I've ever seen. Sorry man.

2000 IS pretty ****ty. :p
I'm pretty sure that's the lowest I've ever seen. Sorry man.

Naughty.........
attachment.php
...........Naughty

Tweaking the bear's nose will get you 2 demerits and 3 lashes with a just cooked, wet noodle. Please do not tweak the bear's nose in the future.

Hehehe.

RfreekenGone...

Yeah, I know. Shouldn't have to run below stock though. It's not right. He could probably RMA that chip for that.

Yeah I don't know why Gigabyte did this..but with the 8350, it will set stock at 2200 NB/2400 HT link. - Im thinking in the very near future giving my mobo to the wife and getting an 990FX for myself with 8350 for me.. I was looking at the 8370, but $20 for just 100mhz is not worth it.

Really no difference between the 8370 and 8350, it's all a silicon lottery on how high they will Oc. You will likely be able to Oc the 8350 to the same stock speeds as the 8370 without issue.

Yeah I don't know why Gigabyte did this..but with the 8350, it will set stock at 2200 NB/2400 HT link. - Im thinking in the very near future giving my mobo to the wife and getting an 990FX for myself with 8350 for me.. I was looking at the 8370, but $20 for just 100mhz is not worth it.

I hate to say it 'cause I love Gigabyte, but if you're going to go for an 8350, grab an ASUS Sabertooth and save yourself all the headaches.

I hate to say it 'cause I love Gigabyte, but if you're going to go for an 8350, grab an ASUS Sabertooth and save yourself all the headaches.

perhaps.. that'll be an extra $30 tho.. but I've learned that cheaping out on a motherboard has caused me many issues lol

perhaps.. that'll be an extra $30 tho.. but I've learned that cheaping out on a motherboard has caused me many issues lol

Gigabyte is hit or miss. You need to find a known good board to have a fairly easy time.
I got my board and chip from a member here, and it was used in his server as well has benchmarking so this board and chip get along quite well :)

But, you won;t find reviews like that on newegg which makes it hard for anyone to recommend taking a chance with Gigabyte. Thus we all recommend the robust Sabertooth. It's just a good, solid board plus most of us know the BIOS inside and out which helps other members here.

Back