• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My take is you have some kind of configuration issue with your pc. If you are running basically the same OS on the same brand and model of SSD your computers should boot in about the same time. I don't think the cpu would make a big difference in the boot times. Do you have your SSD plugged into a SATA3 port? As far as the cpu's I wouldn't expect to see any big difference in speed except for the 500 MHz clock differential. UNTIL you do something that would saturate your six core and the other two cores would utilized. That isn't something that happens very often for your typical computer user.

well, that could be possible.. I have noticed my boot takes more than 30 seconds. And yes, I have the ssd on sata 3 and when using the ssd benchmark I get over 400 MBs. I was thinking once I get the new mobo, I'll probably do a fresh Win 7 pro 64bit installation and see what happens from there.

well, that could be possible.. I have noticed my boot takes more than 30 seconds. And yes, I have the ssd on sata 3 and when using the ssd benchmark I get over 400 MBs. I was thinking once I get the new mobo, I'll probably do a fresh Win 7 pro 64bit installation and see what happens from there.

An SSD that takes more than 30 seconds to boot? Wow. Seems like a long time. At least in my experience. I do notice in all my computers that Mint Linux and Debian boot way faster than W7.

An SSD that takes more than 30 seconds to boot? Wow. Seems like a long time. At least in my experience. I do notice in all my computers that Mint Linux and Debian boot way faster than W7.

yeah.. it didn't use to take that long, so there's got to be something wrong. I have configured msconfig/startup as well, but that has not made a significant difference. Maybe is the motherboard lol

yeah.. it didn't use to take that long, so there's got to be something wrong. I have configured msconfig/startup as well, but that has not made a significant difference. Maybe is the motherboard lol
I highlighted exactly what I was thinking!

Only FYI...

...Asrock 960gm u3s3 FX

At boot has to look at a number of non-native chipsets for peripherals.
2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by ASMedia ASM1061 < Sata 6Gb/s not native.

2 x USB 3.0 Ports (Etron EJ168A) < Usb 3.0 not native.

Plus these that maybe could/should be disabled in bios to speed up booting:
- 1 x ATA133 IDE connector (supports 2 x IDE devices)
- 1 x IR header
- 1 x CIR header
- 1 x Print port header
- 1 x COM port header

RGone...

Well guys I'm back...
I am totally impressed with the new Gigabyte 970a UD3P mobo...I guess the Asrock mobo was holding me back. I went from 397 MBs on the SSD to 537 MBs.. Windows Rating (I know I doesn't mean much), went from 7.6 to 7.9 and I didn't even have to reinstall Windows after Installing the new mobo. Thanks for the recomendation. I am finishing up, then I will task on the OC, lol. I did notice however that the CPU did throttle when I ran Prime95 quickly for a few seconds just to see and I did notice it going down from 3500Mhz to 3000Mhz. I haven't played with the Bios settings much yet, so maybe there's a feature there to stop the throttling...we'll see... but the computer feels very, very snappy now at stock speeds, like day and night difference...oh and the boot time, went from over 30 seconds. ( more like 45 secs) down to just a few, prob less than 15.. haven't really counted but I know it is a BIG difference in speed.

Last edited:
Well guys I'm back...
I am totally impressed with the new Gigabyte 970a UD3P mobo...I guess the Asrock mobo was holding me back. I went from 397 MBs on the SSD to 537 MBs.. Windows Rating (I know I doesn't mean much), went from 7.6 to 7.9 and I didn't even have to reinstall Windows after Installing the new mobo. Thanks for the recomendation. I am finishing up, then I will task on the OC, lol. I did notice however that the CPU did throttle when I ran Prime95 quickly for a few seconds just to see and I did notice it going down from 3500Mhz to 3000Mhz. I haven't played with the Bios settings much yet, so maybe there's a feature there to stop the throttling...we'll see... but the computer feels very, very snappy now at stock speeds, like day and night difference...oh and the boot time, went from over 30 seconds. ( more like 45 secs) down to just a few, prob less than 15.. haven't really counted but I know it is a BIG difference in speed.
Glad you're happy with the new board, you may want to do a clean install anyway just to get all the accumulated crap out, up to you though.

Yeah, once one goes SSD it is very difficult to use a platter drive again. I even use them as my benching drives now because if I screw up the Os I can have a new one installed in no time.

Im back in business guys...Edna (my computer) is flying high!!!.. I went from having average of 34 FPS to 91 FPS in my game and a max FPS of 121 :)

Stable at 4.2ghz and have not noticed a throttle after disabling APM... Thank you all for your patience and if I run into any other issues I know I can come back and I will be taken care of.

Is it normal to see that the cpu is running a little hotter now with the new mobo, even with lower vcore? I tried reapplying thermal paste, but same thing. Before at 4.2ghz I was maxing out at 47c-49c in Prime95 after 9hrs , now it's only been about 20 mins, and it's already 52c.. I brought the vcore down from v1.3625 to v1.3500..it is running stable at that voltage...so does this mean I should try lower voltage and see if I can get away with it at 4.2ghz?

Oh wait.. maybe before was cooler because of the throttling down every few seconds?

that makes sense... well, Im by 4.3ghz same v1.3500.. I will try 15-20 min of Prime95...if it passes then I will go a little higher until it fails then bump the vcore... does that sound good to you?

Im back in business guys...Edna (my computer) is flying high!!!.. I went from having average of 34 FPS to 91 FPS in my game and a max FPS of 121 :)

Stable at 4.2ghz and have not noticed a throttle after disabling APM... Thank you all for your patience and if I run into any other issues I know I can come back and I will be taken care of.

Many people buy nice cpu's and very so-so boards. When their rig runs slow they invariably blame the "slow" AMD cpu. When in reality the cpu is hamstrung by a poor motherboard. I am very happy for you.

It also could be the ambient temps are a bit higher.

Perhaps..I've plateaued at 4.2ghz @1.325v in order to stay under 60c.. Prime95 has been running for over 1hr and the max temp is 58c.
I also noticed CPUZ not showing the correct Ram timings.. I have set them to 9.9.9.24 but it's reading them as 11.11.11.28...also CoreTemp not reading the correct VID..it reads it as v1.875... Maybe those 2 do not communicate well with the mobo?

HWMonitor over coretemp for sure. If you have HWMonitor and CoreTemp running at the same time, that can be a problem.

RGone...

Having a weird issue when changing the North Bridge Frequency from the default 2000 MHz to just one level up to 2200 MHz..when I do that, Windows starts giving me a bunch of pop up messages telling me "this and that stopped working" and USB 3.0 will stop working altogether and the Aero look gets disabled as well... As soon as I put the frequency back to 2000 MHz, everything goes back to normal... I have tried increasing the NB voltage to 1.2v, but it does the same thing... I feel I should be able to at least go one level up from 2000 MHz (to 2200 MHz), no?

Back