• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my budget is "as cheap as possible", lol. No seriously, I know that if I want a good mobo for overclocking it will not be cheap.. but I would like the most affordable board I can get for the money.

Cheap as possible isn't good in this scenario because of this factor, the price difference between a a marginal board such as that ASUS 4+2 board to a much better ASUS 6+2 board may only be $20 or $30. So imho the lesser board is a really poor investment. You will kick yourself. A better board enhances your whole rig immeasurably. And that is for the life of your rig which will be measured in years. Say you keep your rig two or three years. Is $30 extra over three years a lot of money? Especially when you can possibly get that 6300 to 4.5 to 4.7 GHz and enjoy all that speed.

Cheap as possible isn't good in this scenario because of this factor, the price difference between a a marginal board such as that ASUS 4+2 board to a much better ASUS 6+2 board may only be $20 or $30. So imho the lesser board is a really poor investment. You will kick yourself. A better board enhances your whole rig immeasurably. And that is for the life of your rig which will be measured in years. Say you keep your rig two or three years. Is $30 extra over three years a lot of money? Especially when you can possibly get that 6300 to 4.5 to 4.7 GHz and enjoy all that speed.

you're right..$30 even on my tight budget is not that much If I really think about it... ok, so you have convinced me lol (which it didn't really take much) into buying another board..so as a fail safe should I buy one that is least capable of running 140w CPUs?.. I see that the new AMD's require 220w..YIKES!
---
Is this the one?
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Chip...byte+ga-970a-ud3p&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Last edited:
yes put a fan over the northbridge and over the VRM's for sure.

I thought you had one there already though?

EDIT: That board only has 4+1 VRM. No point in it.
EDIT2: No lower than http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651 <- that motherboard. And even then, we can't say for sure how it will do, but it at least has 8+2 phases and it's heatsinked.

I could not get another fan in it, I only have 3 fan connectors, lol.. anyway, I ordered the Gigabyte...get it Monday :)

I could not get another fan in it, I only have 3 fan connectors, lol.. anyway, I ordered the Gigabyte...get it Monday :)

The one I linked?
Well please let all of us know what options are in the BIOS and if it throttles your CPU.

Hopefully it's a good board.

Also get a fan on the VRM on the new motherboard. You *must* have a fan there it's pretty much essential to overclock.

The one I linked?
Well please let all of us know what options are in the BIOS and if it throttles your CPU.

Hopefully it's a good board.

Also get a fan on the VRM on the new motherboard. You *must* have a fan there it's pretty much essential to overclock.

just to make sure.. the VRM is also called the chipset, no?

just to make sure.. the VRM is also called the chipset, no?

VRM's are what feed power to your CPU.
Look at the mobo you just bought. See the black squares beside the CPU socket? Under that heatsink are the VRM's. You want to keep those cool. ;)

VRM's are what feed power to your CPU.
Look at the mobo you just bought. See the black squares beside the CPU socket? Under that heatsink are the VRM's. You want to keep those cool. ;)

wow.. so how am i gonna get a fan to hit that area?
can you post a pic of yours?

wow.. so how am i gonna get a fan to hit that area?
can you post a pic of yours?

Sure:
IMG_20150601_170907[1].jpg

You can see that I just have mine sitting on my 7850.
It's a Corsair AF120, a 120mm fan. (An 80mm fan would work too and it might be your best best if you have a large air cooler.) It cools the Northbridge and the VRMs at the same time.

You might have to make a setup with zip ties or something to get your fan "mounted" properly. :)
Just get some air moving over the heat sink, it'll keep things from cooking.

Here's the fan I have on mine, I also have a fan mounted on the backside of the motherboard blowing on the Cpu Socket, along with 12, 120mm fans in the case.
IMG_3964a.jpg

so even when the vrm has a heatskink on it, you still need a fan?
Well 2 reasons I do this, first is I run 4.7 daily and do push a lot harder when benching, this setup has seen 5.7+ on H2O and 7.8 Ghz on Ln2. Second is when you run water cooling the air that would be flowing over the heatsinks from the Air cooler is taken away. Do I need it with this board, really only when I'm pushing hard but it doesn;t hurt either for daily ocing.

There are often more than one way to accomplish a task...

well.. I wont' be able to do that because my heatsink is HUGE 165mm long...Thermalke Frio

I have used the trick outlined in pics below to force air down onto VRMs and not have to put additional fans in place. I see another way even to make the FRIO give up some air onto the VRMs but the piece of bent and blackened card board is easiest if their are a couple of fins exposed below the PULL fan.

RGone...ster.

Frio by TT.jpg

Frio by TTa.jpg

I have used the trick outlined in pics below to force air down onto VRMs and not have to put additional fans in place. I see another way even to make the FRIO give up some air onto the VRMs but the piece of bent and blackened card board is easiest if their are a couple of fins exposed below the PULL fan.

RGone...ster.

View attachment 164486

View attachment 164487

ahh.. yes, this is very doable!.. I will try that once the mobo gets here on Monday.

magdiel1975 said:
ahh.. yes, this is very doable!.. I will try that once the mobo gets here on Monday.

Well that is very good to hear you sound so excited. Some people are not hands-on at all and shy away from giving things a try, even if it is to their advantage.

I have used card board from the sides of video card boxes and once or twice from power supply boxes. That is not normally corrugated card board and takes black paint very well. Satin or Flat works well and that little bit of trickery is seldom seen by anyone and I have not had it fail yet to cool VRMs or in one situation a very hot North Bridge when I had the cooler turned to blow North/South and not East/West which is more normal for most AMD rigs and especially these HOT arse AMD FX processors.

I have seen small 40mm fans (2 usually) with screws often thru just one corner down into (between) fins of the VRM sink to hold the two fans in place. But they put out so little air and are usually noisy but you gotta do what you gotta do. Hehehe. If you can channel just the air going thru a single fin of that FRIO down onto the VRMs it will likely be more air than 4 of the litle 40mm fans.

Anyway good luck man and hope all the various little tricks/tips bring your setup to its full usefullness. It is most often the smart out of the box thinking that works that brings the most overall satisfaction to us. I might supply the idea but you have to do the hands on...that is where the setup becomes your own pride and joy.

RGone...

Well that is very good to hear you sound so excited. Some people are not hands-on at all and shy away from giving things a try, even if it is to their advantage.

I have used card board from the sides of video card boxes and once or twice from power supply boxes. That is not normally corrugated card board and takes black paint very well. Satin or Flat works well and that little bit of trickery is seldom seen by anyone and I have not had it fail yet to cool VRMs or in one situation a very hot North Bridge when I had the cooler turned to blow North/South and not East/West which is more normal for most AMD rigs and especially these HOT arse AMD FX processors.

I have seen small 40mm fans (2 usually) with screws often thru just one corner down into (between) fins of the VRM sink to hold

That cardboard seems like it would make pretty good ducting material. Pliable but would hold its shape once you bent it.

Last edited:

I have seen small 40mm fans (2 usually) with screws often thru just one corner down into (between) fins of the VRM sink to hold the two fans in place. But they put out so little air and are usually noisy but you gotta do what you gotta do. Hehehe. If you can channel just the air going thru a single fin of that FRIO down onto the VRMs it will likely be more air than 4 of the litle 40mm fans.

Anyway good luck man and hope all the various little tricks/tips bring your setup to its full usefullness. It is most often the smart out of the box thinking that works that brings the most overall satisfaction to us. I might supply the idea but you have to do the hands on...that is where the setup becomes your own pride and joy.

RGone...

thanks... I had built my wife a system with an FX-8350..wow, what a difference between hers and mine, lol.. her computer feels so snappy and the boot time is just a few seconds.. we have the same SSD hard drive... but when I benchmark in AIDA64 her scores are very near the top of the chart like 4th-5th (at stock, no oc)... I know in the very near future I will be upgrading to the 8350 :)

thanks... I had built my wife a system with an FX-8350..wow, what a difference between hers and mine, lol.. her computer feels so snappy and the boot time is just a few seconds.. we have the same SSD hard drive... but when I benchmark in AIDA64 her scores are very near the top of the chart like 4th-5th (at stock, no oc)... I know in the very near future I will be upgrading to the 8350 :)

My take is you have some kind of configuration issue with your pc. If you are running basically the same OS on the same brand and model of SSD your computers should boot in about the same time. I don't think the cpu would make a big difference in the boot times. Do you have your SSD plugged into a SATA3 port? As far as the cpu's I wouldn't expect to see any big difference in speed except for the 500 MHz clock differential. UNTIL you do something that would saturate your six core and the other two cores would utilized. That isn't something that happens very often for your typical computer user.

Back