• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd FX 8120 4.25 GHZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RB1991

Registered
hi guys

I buy yesterday a fx 8120 and i'm now run some bechmarks and start to playing with overclocking, but it's too diferent to PII.

the most close i got stable is 4.2,but with 20 min of prime BSOD

my settings:

vcore - 1.29
cpu bus - 250
multi - 17x

my temps:

12ºc idle
54ºc core nº1
cpu - 61ºc

I think that temps are really too high, I already have tried everything and I even got at 4.4, on full load the cpu reached 70ºc ..

can anyone help me?

system :

asus sabertooth 990fx

AMD FX-8120 with noctua nh-d14

power lc 600w

Msi amd radeon HD7950

2x4gb ram 1333 kingston

2x corsair ssd 120

1tb wd caviar green

win7 64

Last edited:
You need to DL a program called "core Temp" to monitor your temps.
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Your temps don't seem right compared to your settings, DL core temp and post a screenshot of the temps

thanks for reply, i will run prime for about 10min and i post some screens :)

Attachments

• too hot.png
    too hot.png
    361 KB · Views: 1,240
Last edited:
Well, your temps are a little high considering your VCore and the heatsink you're using.
What kind of thermal compound did you use when mounting the heatsink and how long ago did you mount the heatsink? How is the air flow in your case?
You might want to reapply the thermal compound under the heatsink, you might have used to much when you mounted the heatsink.
Just put a pea sized dab in the middle of the CPU and the heatsink will spread it out when you mount it, that way you wouldn't get any air bubbles in it !

Well, your temps are a little high considering your VCore and the heatsink you're using.
What kind of thermal compound did you use when mounting the heatsink and how long ago did you mount the heatsink? How is the air flow in your case?
You might want to reapply the thermal compound under the heatsink, you might have used to much when you mounted the heatsink.
Just put a pea sized dab in the middle of the CPU and the heatsink will spread it out when you mount it, that way you wouldn't get any air bubbles in it !

the thermal compound I use is the artic silver 5, I mount the hs yesterday anda I cover all the cpu with a plastic , should i reemount the heatsink?

1x 200 mm fan

1x d14 +1x d12 cpu fans

2x 120mm, push fans

Could you show us pics of CPU-z tabs: "Memory" and "SPD" please?

there are the screens from 4.2 ghz

I'm back now to stock

Attachments

• spd.PNG
    spd.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,144
  • memory2.PNG
    memory2.PNG
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,153
Last edited:
The "Memory" tab shows your current ram frequencies and timings. The "SPD" tab JEDEC columns show the manufacturer's recommended voltages and timings for representative frequencies your ram is capable of. If you compare your current ram frequency and timings with those in the JEDEC columns you will see your frequency is approaching that of JEDEC #4 yet your timings are looking like they would go with the slower frequencies of JEDEC #2 and #3. I think you need to relax the timings to match those in JEDEC 4. You would need to change the bios main memory timing line item from Auto to Manual and then manually set the individual line items you see in to correspond to those in "SPD". You need only be concerned with the 5 you see in the JEDEC column plus Command Rate or CR (set it to 2). Leave all the other individual timings you see in bios to Auto. There are only six timings that are really important. I would also give your ram voltage a bump up to 1.55.

thanks for help me, i set the ram voltage to 1.55 , and the timings:
spd2.PNG memorynovo.PNG

can you tell me what is the vid for this cpu? when I intalled , I saw 1.32 and 1.44 and now is 1.27

vid.PNG

Last edited:
What you are seeing in your voltage fluctuations is the down-throttling of the "green" technology. You need to disable Cool N Quiet, C1E, Turbo Boost and there's one other "green" setting in bios for the FX's but I can't think what it is right now. Also go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and set the option to High Performance.

Your core temps at 57C are getting too high and your may be instability and down-throttling from that as well when under load. You want to limit them to 55 C. Are you using the stock cooler? You need more vcore to stabilize your overclock but your temps will not permit it with present cooling.

What you are seeing in your voltage fluctuations is the down-throttling of the "green" technology. You need to disable Cool N Quiet, C1E, Turbo Boost and there's one other "green" setting in bios for the FX's but I can't think what it is right now. Also go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and set the option to High Performance.

Your core temps at 57C are getting too high and your may be instability and down-throttling from that as well when under load. You want to limit them to 55 C. Are you using the stock cooler? You need more vcore to stabilize your overclock but your temps will not permit it with present cooling.

all my green technology are disable, c6, cnc, apm master (i think is that name), c1e, turbo boost.

I'm also using a noctua d14 with arctic silver 5

the thermal compound I use is the artic silver 5, I mount the hs yesterday anda I cover all the cpu with a plastic , should i reemount the heatsink?

1x 200 mm fan

1x d14 +1x d12 cpu fans

2x 120mm, push fans

What do you mean you covered all the CPU with a plastic? There should be nothing between the CPU face and the bottom of the heatsink but thermal paste (TIM). Sounds like you need to do redo that. Your temps are too high for that small CPU voltage.

Remove the heatsink. Clean the bulk of the TIM from both the heatsink and the CPU with a dry paper coffee filter (they are a smooth paper and leave no lint). Then finish the cleaning with another coffee filter moistened with isopropyl alcohol. Then put one small blob of TIM in the center of the CPU, a little bigger than a BB and a little smaller than a green pea. Don't try to to spread it. Then tighten it down. The pressure will spread the paste between the two flat surfaces.

Also, please put information in some detail about your system in your "Sig". Need info about your CPU, ram, motherboard, PSU, CPU cooler, video card, Case, OS.

Attachments

• Sig.PNG
    Sig.PNG
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,133
what i'm tried to say is that I put the thermal paste and spread the paste with a plastic card .

all imformation about my rig is on the first post and I also will do that , thanks.

Last edited:
Now I went back to default and my cpu vid is at 1.42 (1.27 when overclocked) , can u tell me why this happen?

Overclocked to 4.2 GHZ
vid.PNG

Stock speed
vid-stock.PNG

I have noticed that my bios(0901), sometimes does not save the parameters correctly, an example is when I set my ram timings 9-9-9-25 and then save and go to the windows, CPUZ tells me that my ram timings are 8-8-8-20.

Do you have the latest bios for the motherboard installed? Not saving changes sounds like it could be a bios issue and so do the voltage fluctuation issues.

Do you have the latest bios for the motherboard installed? Not saving changes sounds like it could be a bios issue and so do the voltage fluctuation issues.

It's the last from asus, yes it might be

How about putting info about your case in your sig. People often don't realize how important the case is and the quality of its ventilation. Please include info about your case fans (number, size, location).

I'm also a little concerned about your PSU. Looks like its not a high end unit by any means and you've got a video card sucking 200+ watts when under heavy use and a 6 core CPU sucking maybe 160+ watts under full load. The PSU is rated for 600 watts but the two 12v+ rails only put out a total of 36 watts and even at that it may not be a sustained power rating. A quality PSU of that same watt rating made by Corsair, Seasonic or Antec for instance would be putting out around 50 amps of continuous power. I'm not trying to be critical just looking for some answers to the fluctuating voltage issue.

http://www.computeruniverse.net/pro...c6600gp2-v2-3-600w-schwarz.asp#InfoDataHeader

Last edited:
How about putting info about your case in your sig. People often don't realize how important the case is and the quality of its ventilation. Please include info about your case fans (number, size, location).

I'm also a little concerned about your PSU. Looks like its not a high end unit by any means and you've got a video card sucking 200+ watts when under heavy use and a 6 core CPU sucking maybe 160+ watts under full load. The PSU is rated for 600 watts but the two 12v+ rails only put out a total of 36 watts and even at that it may not be a sustained power rating. A quality PSU of that same watt rating made by Corsair, Seasonic or Antec for instance would be putting out around 50 amps of continuous power. I'm not trying to be critical just looking for some answers to the fluctuating voltage issue.

http://www.computeruniverse.net/pro...c6600gp2-v2-3-600w-schwarz.asp#InfoDataHeader

My case is a CM Storm enforcer with 3 fans - 1x 220mm CM fan, 2 x 120mm ( 1 at top (pull) and another at rear (push)) plus 2 fans by noctua on the cpu cooler.

Yes I know, that psu is from my another rig and its not very good. I will buy another one later .

ps: I put now my older video card, is an asus formula 5750 1gb, and the temps are the same ..

EDIT

I am running prime now and so far things are going well, do not know why but my cpu likes vcores from 1.15 to 1.38

if I put something like 1.4vcore 4.4 ghz and run the press in less than 30 seconds have temperatures of 50 º c.

10min stable.png

Last edited:
Back