• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8120 with Noctua NH-D14 overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You using the Xigmateck Aegir?

Jeppers me is doing jus at thang. Looks like 4 x 8mm heat pipes in direct contact with the cpu and then 2 x 6mm heat pipes touching the back of the cpu contact plate.

So far I am fairly pleased with it running push-pull fans. Just that the heat is from air-cooling is going to have me at 1.5Vcore at 4.8Ghz to get stable it seems. Still running about 0.02V above my darn good water cooling rig. Heat for sure makes a difference. This Aegir is big. The fans are out over the ram and the VRMs and I cannot put my 92mm blowing on the VRMs but with the fan cooler it does not seem to need the fan blowing directly on the VRM.
RGone...ster.

LOL I was thinking you somehow rigged a cpu cooler on the back motherboard, too help cool the socket. Now that would have been funny to see.

LOL I was thinking you somehow rigged a cpu cooler on the back motherboard, too help cool the socket. Now that would have been funny to see.

Man don't freeken tempt me. I see how it can be done with a cut-out at the cpu and the backplate they send for mounting to the backside of the mobo. Hehehe.

I am not really having too much problem with socket temps with the Aegir cooler, but at 4.8Ghz and 1.5Vcore...well the cores are warmish. Hehehe. After I get two hours of P95 Blend in I am going to have to pull the cooler and check for cpu contact with the direct touch heat pipes.

I found that it was going to take about 0.02 more volts Vcore for P95 Blend that it does with my water setup. I did some 'real' juggling of the Offset Vcore to get 0.017 added offset voltage and it looks like it may run P95 Blend for 2 hours. Air is proving to be a pain when pushing these FX thangs. Well maybe it is air is only workable within logical limits. Hehehe. Me logical? Sure!
RGone...ster.

I found that it was going to take about 0.02 more volts Vcore for P95 Blend that it does with my water setup. I did some 'real' juggling of the Offset Vcore to get 0.017 added offset voltage and it looks like it may run P95 Blend for 2 hours. Air is proving to be a pain when pushing these FX thangs. Well maybe it is air is only workable within logical limits. Hehehe. Me logical? Sure!
RGone...ster.
Yeah 4.8 is really putting it to it on Air, well I guess that all depending on Ambient and what the Cores/Cpu temps are at. I know when I was running 4.2 on mine with the TRUE my temps were getting up there, though I didn't have the best TIM contact after I pulled it.

Well down here in Mississauna it is warm in that room with the CHV. Two other puters in the room add heat as well. I just turned one of them off. I guess I could plumb an A/C vent to the cooler. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.

So, i finally changed case to Aerocool Vs-92 and add more coolers.
Now under Prime95 load temperature is 54 degrees.
A put additional termal sensor to base of the Noctua and it shows 34 degrees under Prime95 load.

I expected that temps will be lower, but it is under 60 degrees and that is enought for me.

Thanks to all of you and thanks to this forum!

Running the NH-D14 on a FX8120 myself..... Ever since going to the FX's I've found that overclocking isn't really possible unless its winter. Australian weather just sucks too much and the FX's just run too hot at load. That case of yours looks like its starving your system for air. I'd get a decent mid tower case.

If steamroller doesn't even things out in terms of heat, temperature and power draw, then my next upgrade will sadly be a switch to the Intel camp. My last main rig running Intel was a Pentium 100, after that its been AMD all the way.....

Athlon Classic 600, 2500+ Barton core, a few A64s and a Opty 165, then Phenom 955BE, and a Phenom X6 which was frankly better than my current 8120 in every possible way.....

Mod the case. Cut out restrictive grills and put in less restrictive ones. Add vents where you want them.

Back