• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8120 with Noctua NH-D14 overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperSonic45

Registered
Hello to all.

I have CPU AMD FX-8120 with Noctua NH-D14 on ASUS M5A97. With Prime 95 running i get 62+ degrees Celsius under prolonged load on clock rate 3100 MHz and vcore 1.320 v. Before Noctua i used Arctic Cooler Freezer CO, but on full CPU load i get 65+ degrees. I think that Noctua will solve my problem, but it is not.

Idle temp is about 43 degrees.
BIOS is the latest version. Turbocore is disabled and Load Line Callibration is enabled.
I monitor temperature with Asus AI Suite and AIDA64.
I am already checked installation of Noctua and i changed thermal grease several times.
All the time cover of the case is opened.

I need help. How can i prevent CPU overheating? I am out of thoughts.

max temp on that processor is 75c so you're still safe. but that being said you should be much lower. did you clean the base plate and processor before applying thermal compound are your fans wired right. i have the same cooler a [email protected] and I'm getting lower temps.

max temp on that processor is 75c so you're still safe.
In tech specs for my CPU says, that max temp is 61 degrees.

did you clean the base plate and processor before applying thermal compound are your fans wired right.
Ofcourse, each time i remove old thermal grease and apply a new one. Fans is looking to the back of the case (see image).

It's the mount, give the TIM some time to cure OR... use CL ultra or Indigo xtreme :)
I am already tried three different thermal greases from different vendors, but i did not noticed any difference. How long i need to wait, approximately?

Attachments

• IMG_0838.JPG
    IMG_0838.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 913
Ok just checking the availlable power. Which is very limited. If it's not your mount then, I would examine the VRM and NB. Do you have a cutout behind the CPU in the Mobo tray? Are there any intake fans at all in that case?
I think you may be overheating in the socket area cause of a lack of airflow. That big cooler is pumping the air right out the back of the case and bypassing the VRM and NB HS. If you can reach in there while running touch them and see how hot they are.

Last edited:
Ok just checking the availlable power. Which is very limited. If it's not your mount then, I would examine the VRM and NB. Do you have a cutout behind the CPU in the Mobo tray? Are there any intake fans at all in that case?
I dont really understant what is Mobo tray, so i attach photo of back of my case. No intake fans in my case. Case is GigaByte GZ-X1.

I think you may be overheating in the socket area cause of a lack of airflow. That big cooler is pumping the air right out the back of the case and bypassing the VRM and NB HS. If you can reach in there while running touch them and see how hot they are.
I can hold my finger on it about 3 seconds before is too hot.

Can you post a snip of AIDA64 so we can see what is actually reaching these temps. It's most likely your VRM's because you're running an 8 core FX CPU on a 4+2 VRM and your Noctura won't help with that.

EDIT: Also what Johan said. Are there any intake fans? If you could it would be a good idea to try and straighten up the cables from in front of your cooler to improve airflow. Doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference, but it does. Finally I would try keeping your case closed when possible. Keeping the side off actually prevents good case airflow and you can end up recirculating warm air.

So, i regroup cabels inside case, now from front to back there is a clear way. I also close the case and remove 5.25" and 3.5" stubs. But now temp is 64c.

Attachments

• aida.jpg
    aida.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 536
  • case.jpg
    case.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 550
If I'm not mistaken that is your socket temperature, and not your CPU temperature.

CPU temperature is below that numbered Cores 1-8. Looks like you're good at 43°C at load on the CPU temps. Socket temp is a little high though.

Do you have any front intake fans installed?

I'm inclined to blame the case for the high socket temp personally, since it looks to be pretty cramped in there with not a lot of options for airflow.

I'm guessing you have the side panel off because you can't fit it back on with the big Noctua NH-D14 cooler in there?

I dont really understant what is Mobo tray, so i attach photo of back of my case. No intake fans in my case. Case is GigaByte GZ-X1.

So, i regroup cabels inside case, now from front to back there is a clear way. I also close the case and remove 5.25" and 3.5" stubs. But now temp is 64c.

Ok first the Mobo tray is the piece of steel you bolted it to. If you take off your right side door can you see the Mobo through a hole in the steel or just steel.
No fans is a big problem. You can't possibly keep that CPU cool on a decent board with no fans.

That's exactly what I thought would happen.

For now leave the side door off, atleast until you get some fans for the front of the case.
Your problem is a weak power delivery system trying to run an 8 core CPU with no air movement. I see you can put at least 1 fan maybe 2 in the front of the case. For now though you need to get some air moving across those hot parts you just touched. They're getting hot and just heating everything else up on the board.

Here is an example of the hole with a fan in it to assist in cooling. This would be very beneficial in your case if possible.

Capturefan.PNG

Here's another example of what you can do to help with the hot VRM/NB

vrm fans.jpg

If you truly want to use that CPU and possibly OC it at some point you're going to need a different Mobo.

Do you have any front intake fans installed?

I'm inclined to blame the case for the high socket temp personally, since it looks to be pretty cramped in there with not a lot of options for airflow.

I'm guessing you have the side panel off because you can't fit it back on with the big Noctua NH-D14 cooler in there?

I remove O-shaped plastic thing (sorry, i do not know how it is named) from side panel and install it to it`s place.
I know, that this is not the best case, i realize it too late. In that case i do not have any front intake fans.

If I'm not mistaken that is your socket temperature, and not your CPU temperature.

CPU temperature is below that numbered Cores 1-8. Looks like you're good at 43°C at load on the CPU temps. Socket temp is a little high though.

hmm that's weird man. Are you sure you're reading the right temps.

I read lots forum topics and docs at AMD site. Correct me if I'm wrong, Tcase is the temp from motherboard diode (that you called socket temperature) and Tcore is the temp of each core. In tech specs for FX-8120 critical temp (61c) is for Tcase, that is why i guided on it instead of core temps. Or i got it wrong? :)

Ok first the Mobo tray is the piece of steel you bolted it to. If you take off your right side door can you see the Mobo through a hole in the steel or just steel.
Thank you for explanation. No, i can not see Mobo tray, because motherboard is mounted on case steel plate, that do not have any holes (see pic below).

Here's another example of what you can do to help with the hot VRM/NB

Thank you, Johan45. I will try add some fans. By the way, how can i fix fans on motherboards heatsinks?

If i install fan into 5.25" section, will it help?

Attachments

• 82927_2235_draft_large.jpg
    82927_2235_draft_large.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:
You are cooorect on the CPU critical temp at 61 that shows as th core temp in your software. The other temp is the socket which is nearly at it's limit we like to stay below 70 on that one.
Yes more fans the merrier and if you feel ambitious you can cut a hole in the Mobo tray so you can mount a fan there as well it makes a huge difference.
If it's not too late I would upgrade the board from the shop you purchased it. You'll still need more fans in the ccase but it will help with the hot Voltage Regulator Modules and mosfets.

If you're going to spend the cash a better motherboard would go further than a new case. Just my opinion.

Agreed but a new case can't fix the problems with the current board. It will still need a lot of extra attention just to run at stock. Let alone any type of OC. In the end it'll probably die young from heat exposure.

Point taken.

I, admittedly have no experience in the area of Bulldozer or Piledriver processors apart from what I have read in articles, reviews, and forum threads. I've never owned one at this point because I can't afford one. So, I may be unfamiliar with the motherboard power requirements for such a CPU.

Point taken.

I, admittedly have no experience in the area of Bulldozer or Piledriver processors apart from what I have read in articles, reviews, and forum threads. I've never owned one at this point because I can't afford one. So, I may be unfamiliar with the motherboard power requirements for such a CPU.

I started with the M5A99FX PRO R2 and it has 6+2 phase power. As you can see by my sig that ended up with the PII 965. it could run it just not to my liking and I had serious heat problems emanating from the VRM as well.
You can check it out here if you're interested this was my first thread here at OCF.

Back