• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I don't think I'm willing to do a full custom liquid setup. I'd like to purchase the best AiO I can find. The Swiftech H220 I'll buy in a heartbeat if I can find one in town (live in Las Vegas). If not, I'm sure they have a Corsair H100i in stock.

Price range is around $200.00, so any and all feedback is of course valued. I saw you guys recommend the 100i in Oldie's AMD 8350 thread, so I've figured that'll be a safe buy.

BTW, I re-enabled Cool N Quiet to "Disabled by CPU" and re-enabled C1E. I also switched Windows back to Balanced power management. Any other recommendations with the stable clock of 4.4? Only vascillations in vcore I see in CPUID are between 1.396 and 1.404 - no clock changes (as was on stock settings, when it'd cycle between 4.0 ghz and 1.0 ghz).

If you are going to go with one of the Corsiar closed loop systems take a look at the H110 if it will fit in your case ..... might get you 2 or 3*C better temps over the H100 but make sure you can fit the 2X140 rad in your case. Other than that the H100i will do a better job for you then what you have now.

I want my CPU freq to throttle down when idle, correct?

I've seen that on most guides and recommended by Rgone in this very thread. After I find the stable OC, re-enable all the power saving stuff. But my CPU freq isn't showing any throttle down, even at idle. Could this be because I have Cool n Quiet set to "Disabled by CPU" rather than "Always Enabled"?

I would just test it right now to check, but I'm at work away from my computer. I can't stop thinking about overclocking, though, lol. I'm hooked.

I have Cool n Quiet set to "Disabled by CPU" = I thought we said a few posts back to RE-enable Cool N Quiet? You have it where it says CNQ is Disabled by the CPU. So CNQ is Disabled and not Enabled.
RGone...

I have Cool n Quiet set to "Disabled by CPU" = I thought we said a few posts back to RE-enable Cool N Quiet? You have it where it says CNQ is Disabled by the CPU. So CNQ is Disabled and not Enabled.
RGone...

Sorry, been following multiple guides so information is sometimes conflicting. I had CnQ set to "Always Disabled" during stress testing. I will re-enable to "Always Enabled".

Unfortunately the Corsair Carbide 400r doesn't support dual 140mm rads, so the H110i isn't an option. Looks like it'll be H100i, assuming no last minute suggestions.

I'm also going to look into some upgraded case fans to provide better airflow. I'm going to upgrade to a 140mm rear exhaust fan. I'm also going to add at least one more 120mm intake fan behind the drive bays, in addition to the two front intake I already have. That should provide adequate case air flow all around once the H100i is installed.

Any suggestions on quality case fans?

So I switched CnQ to "Always Enabled" and am now getting a lot of funny bounces - from 1.4ghz to 2.8 to 3.1 to my 4.4 OC. Is this normal? Under load (like playing a game) it'll stay steady at 4.4, but just randomly running apps or surfing the web, writing a paper, etc. it'll bounce around like crazy.

Maybe I'm just being hypersensitive here, but it seems strange.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, new problem, lol.

I was reading up/preparing to install the H100i and discovered it won't fit in the Carbide 400r case with my board. I have approx. 1.8 inches of space between the top of my case and board, and the H100i's radiator/fans come out to 2.1 inches. So the H100i is a no go.

So now I'm back to square one, I guess. I suppose I can stick with air cooling and get something like the Phantek which has come highly recommended. Or perhaps there's another quality AiO liquid cooler that could fit my profile?

Going to Fry's tomorrow to look around and see what my options are. Kind of bummed, because I was totally sold on the H100i. Oh well.

The high price of the Phantek and it still air cooling is not looking like a good purchase in the long run. And there just are not any really good AiO coolers that will do the job if they are smaller than the H-100i.

I would make the CM 212 into push-pull and settle for cpu speed I could get until it was sensible to get a case with watercooling in mind. Otherwise you are just throwing pretty good size money after money without much in terms of overclocking results.

I think when I looked at the case you have there are already holes in the rear of the case for a real water cooling systems hoses to pass thru and mount the rad on the rear of the case. It is done. It is not as simple as throwing a small AiO cooler in the roof ot the case, but it is doable and coolers mounted to the rear do well.

I actually have an older cooler master case that I could even mount the radiator to the bottom of the case and have it work from there. But I have for years bought a case with water cooling in my minds eye.
RGone...ster.

Ended up getting the H80 on sale ($45 USD) but replaced its stock fans with the Corsair SP120 High Performance. Also added a 140mm Corsair SP HP to the top for exhaust and replaced the two front intake stock case fans with, you guessed it, two Corsair SP 120mm HP, with a third front intake (same fan) behind the drive bay.

The H80 is in a push pull exhaust going out the rear. Idle temps are down to approx. 13c (I idled at around 18-19c with the 212).

So, anyway, that's the new cooling situation. Already seeing some better temps in Prime on full loads.

Here's my issue, though. I currently am trying to find a stable clock @ 4.6. I'm passing Small FTTs in Prime like no one's business @ 1.425 vcore. However, as soon as I boot up Blend Worker 7 will fail within minutes.

I've been googling and trying to do as much research as I can on this before bugging you guys again, but I'm a bit lost at this point. If I'm passing Small FTTs on this OC, then what's failing me on Blend? NB voltage, my RAM?

Current relevant settings in BIOS:

FSB: 200mhz
Multiplier: 23
Memory Frequency: DDR3 1600mhz
CPUNB Freq: Auto (2200mhz)
HT Link Freq: Auto (2200mhz)
CPU Manual Voltage: 1.425 (jumps up to 1.44 under Prime)
CPUNB Voltage: 1.25

Everything else in voltage is on auto.

Bit lost here. I haven't tried messing with the FSB or anything like that. Do I simply need to keep adding vcore? Maybe I'm missing the forest through the trees...

Edit: Noticing some weird things with my board and how it reads my RAM. I have Patriot 8gb (2x4) 1600mhz. When manually set to DDR3 1600mhz it will automatically set my CPUNB freq to 2200 and HT Link to 2200, with timings @ 10-12-11-30-39. When I change the Memory Frequency to Auto, it'll auto set my CPUNB freq to 2200 and HT Link to 2600, with timings @ 9-9-9-24-39. O.O

Unsure of what's causing that. My auto memory frequency is still 1600mhz according to my BIOS. Really confused as to why the HT Link freq and timings would change according to whether or not I'm autoing to 1600mhz or manually setting 1600.

Still getting worker failues (either 7 or 8) in Prime blend, but I'm gradually upping the vcore. Temperatures are fairly stable, so we'll see how far I have to go on vcore until I hit a stable 4.6,

Last edited:
http://www.carrona.org/prime95.html
Some insight into Prime 95 testing.

Not sure if I'm missing something I should be seeing here? I understand that Blend tests the RAM more, which is why I'm partially assuming passing in Small FTTs and failing in Blend is a RAM issue. I'm sorry if I'm just totally not getting something here.

Just pushed the vcore up to 1.45 manual (1.464 under max load). Passed about 14 minutes of Blend before Worker 8 failed again. Temps were at 64c on the socket, 54c on the package at the time of failure. Going to notch the vcore up to 1.4625 and run it again.

I think my chip in particular is power hungry, moreso than what you usually see from the 8350. I've seen a lot of people around the Internet (disclaimer) claim to push a 4.6 multiplier OC on stock voltage. That's just absurd to me. But then again, I've seen most 8350 VIDs at reportedly 1.35. My VID is 1.375. -_-

Yay, just passed 20 minutes of Blend. Snips are attached, but relevant BIOS settings were as follows:

CPU Ratio: 23
FSB: 200
Memory Freq: Auto (1600)
CPUNB Freq: Auto (2200)
HT Link Freq: Auto (2600)
CPU LLC: Ultra High
CPUNB LLC: High

Vcore: Manually set to 1.4625 (max load 1.476)
Everything else on Auto

I'm going to P95 Blend these exact settings for a couple hours tomorrow to establish real stability. I think this is the end of the road for me, though. I'm perfectly happy with a 4.6 OC and the H80 performed way above expectations (maybe the non-stock fans helped). I maxed out on temps with that 212 on 1.425 vcore.

After stability is established with a two hour Blend, I'm going to turn back on the green stuff: CnQ, C1E, Balanced Windows power. I would like to look into offset mode, too, though. If my VID is 1.375 and my current OC manual vcore is 1.4625, would my offset vcore input be 0.0875?

Anything else I'm missing to properly set up a 24/7 OC? Do I leave the LLCs on Ultra High/High, respectively?

Appreciate all the help and feedback, as always.

Whoops, here are those snips:

Attachments

• cpu20.JPG
    cpu20.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 33
  • hw20.JPG
    hw20.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 33
  • p20.JPG
    p20.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 33
Two different quotes said:
1. >> If my VID is 1.375 and my current OC manual vcore is 1.4625, would my offset vcore input be 0.0875?

2. >> Anything else I'm missing to properly set up a 24/7 OC? Do I leave the LLCs on Ultra High/High, respectively?

#1 above is pretty accurate in what the principle and practice would be.

#2 above is just about only determined by trial and error. I can see no set rule. I actually seem to be able to lower my CPU_LLC by one notch when using the Vcore Offset mode. But my gawd I surely would not be preaching such an idea for all.

RGone...ster.

#1 above is pretty accurate in what the principle and practice would be.

#2 above is just about only determined by trial and error. I can see no set rule. I actually seem to be able to lower my CPU_LLC by one notch when using the Vcore Offset mode. But my gawd I surely would not be preaching such an idea for all.

RGone...ster.

Awesome. I'll tinker tomorrow and see what I can find. Thanks again for all the help, guys. Really happy with the 4.6 OC (hopefully it holds up tomorrow). Very happy I found this place and got solid advice.

Back