• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD IIx3 Unlock and Overclock advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great guide. Thanks. Been reading it over. Going to a few more times then perhaps take a wack at it.

The biggest thing to remember is to drop the HT and NB bus speed and also the ram speed before you start raising the reference clock. That way it takes them out of the equation and you're dealing with just the cpu and voltage.

Thanks Johan. Im going to hope to try in a few hours. Going to re-read all that again. I a bit at un-ease trying.
Thanks guys for all the help so far. The peeps on here are great.

Do you have an aftermarket cooler on the CPU or just the stock that came with it ?

Just the stock one.
Is it going to be ok to use?

It "depends" on many factors that have not been discussed. 1.) Good airflow thru the case getting to the OEM heatsink fan/cooler. 2.) The tendency of the cpu itself to run hotter than another of the same type cpu. 3.) Temps of the air in the location of the computer itself. SO is it okay to use the OEM cooler...only you can test and see.

I saw a few with OEM cooler that were overclocked by 400Mhz or to 3.5Ghz which is FSB of 225 times the default multiplier of 15.5 for 3500Mhz or 3.5Ghz. Do I suggest such an overclock on OEM cooler...well not really but if one looks and monitors the overall temps of Socket and Core/Package temps in HWMonitor while the system is under full load and stays below considered safe limits of 62c on cpu/socket and <>55c on the Package/core temp, then one should be pretty safe from heat related IN-stability.
RGone...

Thanks. I will go and update the sig with all the info. Sorry for all the newbie question and lack of understanding anything about this.
In the mean time the case is a Thermaltake SopranoRS has one rear 120mm fan and 1 120mm side fan(I believe blowing in) set at med. speed.

Using Core Temp it reads 32 when not in use.

Best type of air flow thru about 97% of all cases.

trents case airflow picture. Blue is cool air in at front because cool air is denser and lower in a room than up and out usually thru the back and over the cpu cooler and VRMs and cpu socket.

Probably nothting wrong with a side mounted fan, since you have a stock "lay-down" style cooler but you need More and Cooler air coming into the case to offset the hot air surely coming from the cpu heatsink.

Oh yes, many thanks for a signature so we don't have to go all the way back to the first post in order to see what you have and try and help you.
RGone...ster.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Read the guide over a few times now. I keep going through bios to get familiar with whats where and such.
One of the first things in the guide it says: Finding your max FSB and how to do it. In bios I see nothing related to fsb. Would it be called something else?

Read the guide over a few times now. I keep going through bios to get familiar with whats where and such.
One of the first things in the guide it says: Finding your max FSB and how to do it. In bios I see nothing related to fsb. Would it be called something else?
In your bios, it's called CPU Frequency, under the Performance tab. Defaults at 200, options to 600.

Thanks much, I see it now.
Im still tippy toeing around this.

Mr.Scott, I see you in NY? Same here

This is the part where I am:

First thing to do is find the limit to your FSB [Front Side Bus]. You will increase the FSB by a factor of 10 then by a factor of 5 after that. With each bump, make sure to keep your CPU speed as close to its stock speed. For example if my stock speed is 3.0 GHz which is 15 multi and 200 FSB, when I get to 210 FSB my multi should be 14.5. Same goes with your HT, CPU NB Frequency, and the RAM timings, and ratio. Once your computer does not boot up any longer, this means you have found your FSB maximum. Now you can move on to seeing how far you can push your CPU.

I understand the first part now of increasing it by 10 then 5 but what does it mean where it says keep your cpu speed as close to stock?

So far, I have just did the step I mentioned above.
I increased cpu freq. to 220(after that it wouldnt boot).
But as I read more now(again) it says put it back to 200 and CPU multi back up to its stock value.
I dont see anything though about changing cpu multi, am I missing something?

Back