• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD IIx3 Unlock and Overclock advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can kinda omit that part. It's just for finding your max FSB. The object is to increase your speed. In your case, because you have an upwards locked multiplier, the only way to increase speed is to raise it. Keep your ram speed, HT link frequency, and NB frequency near stock until you find your max stable overclock and you'll be fine. Get used to using CPU-Z, HWmonitor. It will make it easier to help you along.

So far, I have just did the step I mentioned above.
I increased cpu freq. to 220(after that it wouldnt boot).
But as I read more now(again) it says put it back to 200 and CPU multi back up to its stock value.
I dont see anything though about changing cpu multi, am I missing something?
So 220 wouldn't boot. Probably because your HT link or ram speed is now too high. When you increase the bus speed (FSB), it raises those too. You have seperate multiplier controls for each of those. They need to be turned down a little as you go up in FSB.

Ok. I think I follow what your saying.
I'm going to read it all again and start over.
Sure is a lot to take in

Try again

Mr.Scott, any chance you can give me a starting point. Such as go raise this and lower that type thing if that makes sense. May clear up the confusion I caused in my head and Im having a hard time now following the guide now.

A pain never seeing the board or that manu's bios terms...

Page #28 of downloaded bios manual for REV 6.xxx mobo. A78XA-A3S_BIOS_090903.pdf

Bios Setup Utility >>> PERFORMANCE TAB.

CPU Over Voltage >> + 0.1
CPU NB Over Voltage >> StartUp OR maybe + 0.1
Memory Over Voltage >> Adjust to the recommended Ram Voltage for YOUR ram.
Chipset Over Voltage >> 1.23V
HT Overvoltage >> LEAVE as is.
CPU Frequency >> 210 and in windows Run P95 Blend for at least 20 mins with
HWMonitor Free version OPEN on the desktop logging Min/Max Temps and Voltages
during the time that P95 Blend is in process or testing. Ensure that CPU/Socket Temp
does NOT exceed about 62c and that the Package/Core Temps do not exceed approx.
55c while P95 Blend mode is running/testing. Ensure that computer nor P95 exhibit any
sort of error while testing.

CPU FID/VID Control >> HIGHLIGHT this option and manipulate keyboard as necessary to enter in to be able to make adjustments.
Custom P-States >> LEAVE as is.
Core VID >> LEAVE as is. For now.
Core FID >> LEAVE as is since you have a LOCKED multiplier cpu and you need as big
a multiplier as possible, so leave at DEFAULT or Leave Alone.
Core DID >> LEAVE as is.
NB VID >> LEAVE as is.
NB FID >> Should be able to choose 1200Mhz or thereabouts.
DRAM Timing Configuration >> Manipulate keyboard to enter for some adjusting.
Memory Clock Mode >> Set to Manual
Memclock Value >> The lowest value available is the likely one YOU need to choose
based on your ram since you do not give part number or accurate description of the
actual ram you have. You only call it 4x2 Mushkin Silverline and that is nearly NO
ram description.

I would try and leave the rest of those settings in Ram Configuration menu alone.

Hyper Transport Conf iguration >> Enter this menu and ONLY mess with HT Link Speed
and set it to 1.2Ghz for starters. You maybe able to raise it later.

NOTE: and with older type cpu is about mandantory. NB FID Frequency must be equal to OR GREATER than HT Link Speed. Pay attention. I do not nor want that board so I have had to sit at pictrures in the Bios Manual for that board and go thru manual and read each of the adjustments and try and break them out one by one to get you started which is what we all have to do to overclock just about any board ever made that is adjustable from bios.

Not having the board and no current representations of what YOUR current bios may look like since later bioses may have different menu options, I have given you what I would make as beginning changes to start with and check for stability by use of P95 Blend mode and HWMonitor Free and temps to STAY at or BELOW.

IF the CPU Frequency >> 210 does not give any problems with errors or REbooting of the computer when testing with P95 Blend mode and the temps are within the range indicated above the move to CPU Frequency >> 215 and REtest with P95 Blend.

That is basically how you begin any overclock with little regard for the motherboard in use.YOU extrapolate the settings based on how the settings are named by each mobo maker.

RGone...

Last edited:
Wow, thank you RGone! Really appreciate it! Very awesome of you to take the time.

Going to go through it all hopefully later and will also update Sig with memory info.

Thank you

Just wanted to stop in with an update and again thanks for all the help. I got a bit busy and havnt had the time to play with all this yet but hoping to soon.
Again thanks for the help

Last edited:
Back