• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD Phenom II x4 960t 6 cores help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtcvv2

So I tried unlocking my Phenom II x4 into an x6 and I got 6 cores but whenever I started testing it with OCCT It said "error on core #X".

I tried un-clocking my cpu since I had it OC'd from 3GHz to 3.92GHz, But it still gave errors when I had everything on automatic.

So my question is, does anyone know of any way to get the 6 cores working? That would be very awesome.

I'll be happy to provide you with information as you ask for it.

They were disabled for a reason, and you probably just found the reason. You can try to find out if you can run it as a 5 core by disabling one core at a time and finding out if that increases your stability in tests.

Well, my motherboard has two options. You can either just tell it to unlock the cores, or you can take it a step further and tell it which cores to disable after they are unlocked. You may find that they disabled 2, but only one core is actually bad.

That said, I assume you manually setup your voltage and everything. 6 will take more power than 4. You will also lose your ability to read your core temp when they are unlocked, so you should do testing before unlocking to find out what the temperature difference is between your socket temp sensor and the core temps sensor (mine is around 8 degrees). This is what you will use to monitor temps when you have it unlocked.

Give this a read to see how to properly overclock with it set as a quad, then move on to the unlocked state. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

Also note that you don't want to jump straight to 3.9 after you unlock the cores. Even if one of those cores is ok, you may find out that it takes more power to sustain clock speed than the others, and will generate a disproportionate amount of heat compared to a standard thuban. So just test it carefully like any other overclock.

Thanks, this was really helpful and I was able to get my pc running with 5 cores but temperatures were a bit higer than I'm comfortable with so I'll just be sticking with 4 cores from now on. :)

Back