• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Overclocking Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dj1992

hello I'm new to the forums and I've just bought a new desktop which consists of 1055T, ASUS M5A97, 8GB DDR3 (CORSAIR) 1600Mhz, Cooler 1Master Extreme Power Plus 500W PSU and HD5770 1GB Graphics Card. My CPU Cooler is Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. No matter how much I try I can't OC my CPU beyond 3.5Ghz. If I try to go to 4Ghz or 4.2Ghz, it crashes while showing the windows 7 logo. My settings for 4.2Ghz is as follows-
CPU Speed-300
CPU Voltage-1.55V(LLC off)
NB speed-2.4Ghz
NB Voltage-1.3V
HT link-2100Mhz
RAM-1600Mhz
RAM Voltage-1.65V
all other voltage is at auto settings.
Temps are not a concern because I cannot boot into windows and when I check my CPU temps in the BIOS, it shows 40 and MB temps 35. I live in India and so my ambient temp here is 30C.

You need to establish a working baseline/beginning.

You need to begin at the beginning. Set the board to default speeds and voltages and then test with Prime95 in blend mode for at least 20mins to establish a starting point.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

It is unlikely you will get the 1055T to 4.0 ghz on air. Most folks are getting 3.6-3.8 on that one with good air cooling.

One major concern I have is that your CPU frequency (what we often call FSB or front side bus) is all the way up to 300 mhz. I'm not sure that motherboard is of sufficient quality to handle a FSB that high. Every motherboard has a limit for that parameter and the really expensive boards like the Sabertooth and the Crosshair will do 300 but most boards will not. You may need to lower your FSB and increase your CPU multiplier.

Also, what is your ram divider set to? Unless you changed it, when your FSB is 300 mhz that may have overclocked your ram past the point of stability. You say you have 1600 mhz ram but don't forget that when you increase the FSB the ram speed goes up as well.

It would be helpful if you would attach pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. That would give us a truck load of info about your system and its settings. CPU-z is a free program you can download.

Also, the temps you give us are idle temps from bios. They don't tell much. What we need are load temps. What are your core and CPU temps after running Prime95 blend for 20 minutes? An attached pic of the HWMonitor interface (a free program you can download) would be very helpful.

To attach pics, first crop them and save them to disc with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window and then click on the little paperclip icon which will load a file finder/uploader tool.

thanks for helping me....currently I tested with OCCT for 1hour and the temps are in the range 49C-51C. This is at 3.5Ghz with RAM at 1333Mhz, NB at 2.5Ghz and HT at 2000Mhz. The cpu voltage is 1.5V. I have taken the screenshots and have attached them. One point to be noted is my ambient temps are 30C..

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,675
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,797
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 1,628
Please add a picture of the CPU-z tab "SPD" so we can see what the manufacturer's recommendations are for voltages and timings when the ram is run at various standard frequencies. I believe I requested this in my earlier post.

I note also that CPU-z says you have a 1050T and not a 1055T. What gives there?

hehe...that's a wierd bug in CPU Z which shows my 1055T as 1050T. Also I forgot to mention that my CORSAIR RAM just died a couple of hours back(not sure how it died). Gonna send it for RMA and so I am using the RAM that was on my previous comp. I'm uploading the SPD TAB NOW

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,755
Are you truly stable at your present configuration of 3.5 ghz? Can you pass the Prime95 blend test for at least 2 hours? HWMonitor shows your core temps to be approaching the max which allows for stability. We know from experience that most AMD CPUs will become unstable when core temps exceed mid 50s C. You may have a tad more temp room to overclock more but not sure if there is enough room there to get you to 3.6 because that may require another boost in CPU voltage to be stable. Your high ambient temps are working against you.

The other problem is that your ram is maxed out frequency wise, or close to it. At 250 mhz FSB your ram is already running at it's top rated speed of 1333 mhz.

I had Q9650 that showed up on BIOS as Q9650 and defaults to 3.00GHz but everywhere else (including CPU-z, other windows utilities, and even on linux) it would say 9400 clocked at 3.0GHz without any overclock.

But yours do say 1055T on "Specification" part of CPU-z.

Known bug in CPUz showing 1055T as a 1050T.

I am with you 'trents' as to wondering if that 3500Mhz speed with the settings he has now is truly 2 hours Prime 95 blend mode stable. If it is not then it would be totally out of the question to try to clock any further since it will surely not be stable when pushed faster if it is not even stable at this slower speed.

Last edited:
sorry for the late reply and here are the temps after running prime95 blend stable for 2 hours(I had switched on my AC during the test)

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,603
I am also beginning to think that my mobo does not support fsb above 250 mhz....can anyone confirm this ??

I have that same motherboard but I can't confirm or deny your suspicion about the FSB as I have not tried to clock the FSB that high. There's an easy way to find out, however. Just lower your CPU multiplier, your ram speed, your HT Link speed and your NB (CPUNB) speed way down so that you can be certain they won't cause instability in and of themselves. Then start increasing the FSB in 10 mhz increments until the computer won't boot into Windows. Then subtract 10 mhz from the FSB and that should tell you what approximately the highest stable FSB is for that board.

I will try that but just one last question...I opened my chassis and found that my mobo requires 8-pin CPU connector but my technician has plugged only one 4-pin. I have another 4-pin connector on my PSU. Should I plug in the second one and then try to overclock ?? thanks goes to everybody(specially trents) who have tried their very best in helping me.

trent, I just followed your advice...upped my FSB to 300, multilplier to 10...my CPU speed in now 3Ghz...NB speed at 1800Mhz, HT also at 1800Mhz, RAM at 1600Mhz and the voltages are all on auto....system booted without a glitch...Now will run prime95 for 2 hours and confirm

I am also beginning to think that my mobo does not support fsb above 250 mhz....can anyone confirm this ??

I have seen a few in here clocking by FSB say that they were 'hung' at 264 FSB. That would be just a few ticks short of 3700Mhz and a long way from 4.0Ghz or the 4.2Ghz you were posting about at first.

Normally/generally or a lot of the time it takes a top of the heap motherboard to do much more than 250-ish FSB. And those that go way beyond 250FSB have to lower the original ram/CPU/NB and HT Link speed as they go that far in FSB or the other busses get too too high. That is why "trents" in giving you an idea of testing for Max FSB said to lower all those other busses first.

I doubt you will need to use all of that 300 mhz FSB but it's good to know you have a cushion there. Until you get faster ram back, 250 x 14 = 3500 is probably going to be your sweet spot. You are already using 1.5 CPU max vcore and you really don't want to go much beyond that, especially with your temps. When you get your ram back you might be able to get 3.6 ghz.

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone. I let my CPU run prime95 blend for 6 hours at night and the ambient temps were 23C. so trent, does my mobo support 300Mhz FSB ?? Here are the screenshots of my final OC. and note that I have also overclocked my 1333Mhz RAM to 1600Mhz by boosting the RAM voltage from 1.5V to 1.65V. But when I increase my multiplier to 13, Windows crashes during the booting process. Is 3.6Ghz the maximum OC potential of my processor ?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,722
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,580
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,574
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,599
Hey, that's pretty good dude! You got that 1333 mhz ram to run stable at 1600. I hope that 1.65v doesn't shorten it's life too much but i think it will be fine. You have room for more CPU vcore because your temps are real good when you have the ACC on but I doubt if you'd get any more out of the ram and maybe no more out of the FSB so you could now raise the CPU multiplier. What's going to happen when you don't have the ACC on, however? You may find it will not be stable at an ambient of 30c.

I got this level of OC just because of you, trent. The credit is all yours. I wont push the RAM or FSB any higher. But my problem is for 3.6Ghz speed, my multi is set to12 (300*12=3600). This is my maximum stable OC. But when I set my multiplier to 13, the system crashes while booting, it doesn't even go to Windows, just BSOD on the Logo screen. Any ideas why ??

Back