• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Overclocking Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dont worry trent, I wont switch on my PC without my AC. I hardly use my PC for 3hours per day. I mostly work on my college laptop.

Trent, do you think that I should use my 8-pin CPU connector instead of the 4-pin connector if I want to get to 4.2Ghz stable ??

You always want to input the 8-pin connector to a motherboard that has it as a place to put the 8-pin connector from the power supply. No matter what speed one thinks he may run; use the 8-pin connector.

thanks for your input, R.Gone...will plug in my 8-pin cpu connector today evening.

Trent, do you think that I should use my 8-pin CPU connector instead of the 4-pin connector if I want to get to 4.2Ghz stable ??

Yes, use the 8 pin connector if the PSU has one. Not essential but may give better stability in the higher ranges of overclock.

4.2 ghz is probably an unreasonable expectation for that CPU on air cooling. It would take a dangerous amount of CPU voltage to achieve and even then I doubt you could do it. You need to realize all CPUs have inherent built in limitations. I think 3.7 ghz might be reasonable. I would not run a CPU 24/7 with more than 1.525 vcore and you are almost there as it is. At the point where you are now in your overclock each .1 ghz of overclock increase will get harder and harder to achieve. It is not a linear progression.

Well then, I'm gonna settle with 3.9Ghz until my CORSAIR RAM comes back. I just plugged in my 8-pin connector now and it has improved a bit on stability. I am now at 3.9Ghz(300*13) stable and after running prime95 for 1 hour, my core temps are 40C. How do I mark this thread as solved ??

My luck is very bad. If I increase my multiplier to 14, still windows crashes while booting. I think my CPU hates me and doesnt want to go to 4.2Ghz...

You will be very lucky/fortunate and moreso than most with that cpu if you can get it to 290-ish times 14 for about 4.0Ghz ish with air cooling. 290x14 = 4060Mhz and from the Vcore you already have on the cpu it may take upwards of 1.575 or more Vcore when a cpu is on air. IF the cpu were on LN2 or DICE and the temps were lower the necessary Vcore would be a little less or said another way, the high voltage would be allowing for greater cpu speeds.

You were more lucky than 97% of the people when that cheaper board and ram would run 300x10 because most people do not even get close to that 300FSB. BUT all things have an end. The end is usually less than what our mind wants.

I have plenty of cpus that can just 'go' to a certain speed, but are totally useless since they cannot pass stability testing at those speeds. Those speeds are never mentioned because the system at that speed cannot pass 2 to 8 hours of Prime95 in blend mode. I don't believe any of those lifeless pieces of silicon hate me. They just are not able with air cooling to run faster and pass stability testing.

Last edited:
you're right RGone. Just ordered a H100 today and will see how it helps lowering my temps. If my temps lower a bit, then I can probably try 4.2Ghz. But I won't cross my Vcore over 1.55V. I can live with my 3.9Ghz at 1.5V

We tend to call these initial limits as a 'wall'. The only way to generally go over a wall is up. That up is Vcore. We run along upping the speed and then we hit that 'wall' and have to up the voltage to try and go faster. There are mini-walls and then toward the end there is that 'giant' wall. That wall takes a BIG jump in voltage. That is the one that is usually useless to try to go over since it puts the voltage in the less than safe area.

I seldom run AMD cpus over 1.475Vcore for day in and day out due to heat and the fact it is just hard on parts. Hard on the parts supplying those great voltages to the cpu for it to run. I see those that say they have run 1.525 Vcore for extended periods of time, but I am just not one of those.

Good luck and be well.

RGone...ster.

My luck is very bad. If I increase my multiplier to 14, still windows crashes while booting. I think my CPU hates me and doesnt want to go to 4.2Ghz...

Okay. I can see you didn't believe me. I can handle that. I just hope your determination to get to 4.2 ghz doesn't cost you the system. As many 1055T owners as I've helped I honestly don't remember any of them getting to 4.0 ghz, much less 4.2. You also have to be aware of not overtaxing motherboard when you overclock, and your ram.

Last edited:
No trents, its not like that. I have settled for 3.9Ghz at 1.5V. I won't do any OC now. Firstly, I am waiting for my H100 and CORSAIR RAM. Then I'll be gettting this new case-Lancool PC-K62. After that, I will just try once to OC to 4.2Ghz at 1.55V. If that fails, I won't try again. I dont wanna fry my system. Thanks to you and all the others for giving me your valuable time and helping me out.

One thing I noticed that my 1055T can do 3.5Ghz(250*14) at 1.45V but it requires 1.5V for 3.9Ghz(300*13). I think I am gonna go with 3.5Ghz as I feel comfortable with that low voltage. And one problem is that the H100 is at the moment unavailable at my location. So I am opting for the CORSAIR H60. Will that be good enough to cool my CPU at 3.5Ghz @ 1.45V ?? I am gonna mark this thread as closed and thanks again for the wonderful help which all of you have given me. The people and the forum are really nice.

What you are cooling with n0w is good enough to cool the 3500Mhz. That is from looking at your hardware monitor capture on the first page. Spending for an H-60 instead of an H-100 when the air cooler is working fine at 3500Mhz, seems a little of a waste of money.

What you are cooling with n0w is good enough to cool the 3500Mhz. That is from looking at your hardware monitor capture on the first page. Spending for an H-60 instead of an H-100 when the air cooler is working fine at 3500Mhz, seems a little of a waste of money.

+1. Be patient and wait for the H100 to come available. The H60 will not give much if any improvement in temps over what you are cooling with now. Good decision to stick with 3.5 ghz in my opinion.

I'll be getting my Corsair 1600Mhz RAM on Monday. I cancelled the order for H60 and will stick with my current air cooler. But what about the case ? Should I change my case from Cooler Master Elite 310 to Lancool PC-K62

and what are your opinions on 3.5Ghz 1055T ?? Will it last me for about two years ?? I mainly play games with this CPU and HD5770 1GB at a resolution of 1600*900. I will upgrade my GPU shortly. According to you, what will be the best AMD GPU(within $300) for gaming at my resolution ? Any ideas will really be helpful.

You will definitely want to upgrade your case if you intend to someday go with the H100 as it will require two 120mm fan spots in the top panel of the case. For that same reason the Lancool PC-K62 may not work either since the two fan mounts in the top panel are stated to be for 140mm fan. Better check first if those two fan spots are made to also accept two 120mm fans.

I would encourage you to look at the Coolermaster HAF 912 which I know will take both 140mm fans and 120 mm fans in the top. I have that case and it's fantastic! And in the states at least, it costs considerably less than the Lancool you've been looking at.

Back