• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II X6+CoolerMaster V8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max der Laks

Registered
Hi! :D

I have two questions to you Gurus of overclocking:

1. I wonder if a Cooler Master V8 will fit in my case:confused:

2. How far can i clock my AMD Phenom II X6 with the V8 (without the CPU going:mad:)

my rig specs
|
V

Case:NZXT Source 210 Elite

Motherboard:ASUS M4A89GTD PRO

Cpu:AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

GPU:Gainward GeForce GTX 570

RAM:Corsair Vengeance? DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9

PSU:Corsair HX 650W PSU

P.S. If you need further specs i shall see into it and tell you if i find out :D

:beer:Cheers Max der Laks:beer:

Last edited:
Yes, it will fit in the case.

We can't tell you how far you can overclock that CPU on that cooler. Too many other variables.

Thx :D

Hey Trents thank u very much! :D

1. variables like what?

2. I measured before if it fits but that was like one week after i bought the parts last year and i couldn't remember if it did fit i thought it did but i was unsure hence the question xD

thank u for the quick reply and have a nice day :D

variables like ambient room temperature, case cooling, i have the same case and it has great air flow even with the two stock fans it comes with, so that wont be an issue. how many volts it wants to get up to where you want it.

well...

thx wagex :D

the airflow is indeed no problem since the case as u say has good airflow and the cable management is epic(im not bragging a friend of mine made it) maybe ill upload a pic when i get back (on vacation right now)

and i live in norway so the outside temperature shouldn't be too high either it never gets warmer than 25°C in my room with my rig and my laptop on at the same time

Hey Trents thank u very much! :D

1. variables like what?

2. I measured before if it fits but that was like one week after i bought the parts last year and i couldn't remember if it did fit i thought it did but i was unsure hence the question xD

thank u for the quick reply and have a nice day :D

One of the biggest variables is the quality of the chip itself. Not all 1055Ts are created equal. Different batch of silicone, different fab plant, different fabrication crew (how hard had they been partying the night before?).

Last edited:
Well, two things will affect your overclock there, one is how cool that cooler can keep it, some processers need more voltage than others to get the same clocks, and the other is the fact that your cpu is a 1055 which does not have an unlocked multiplier, which means can limit the clock to how high the bus is willing to go on that motherboard of yours.

Might want to check the stickys up top and look for Dolk's guide to overclocking the phenom (even though yours is not a phenom technically) but it goes over how to overclock that type of cpu in detail.

When you overclock a cpu with an locked multiplier like that the fsb or HT is what you need to use, and it affects a few other things such as memory which can cause instability in an overclock.

+1 to what Khan said. Please download and install CPU-z and attach pics of tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. Use the Go Advanced button to upload and attach pics after you crop and save the individual images with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories.

okay thanks for all the help but i have one final question a friend of mine suggested this cpu cooler too me "Noctua NH-C14" is it bettr than the v8 and will it fit?
im still not at home so i cant measure myself -.-

:beer: cheers Max der Laks :beer:

Yes, it probably would.
Look also at the Corsair A70 or the Thermalright Utltra 120 Extreme (make sure you get the AMD mount kit). Any of these would be better than the V8.

Okay trents thank you probably is enuf for me ;)
i ordered the noctua NH-C14 and im looking forward to get it.
and btw im at home again now so i will dl the software u told me too and upload them pictures

You should go into bios and manually set your ram frequency and timings to match the XMP-1600 column in the SPD tab of CPU-z. You don't need to be concerned with the myriad of timings you will see in bios, just the ones that show in CPU-z. The Thuban core CPUs will easily run ram at 1600 mhz.

i dont get it i did as u told me too i did like asus suggested and stuff but doesn't seem to come over 800mhz anyway O.O
zkn0hv.png.jpg

or am i doing something wrong?
hope u can tell me but well well got to get going now school ;)

The DDR stands for Double Data Rate, your ram says 897, which means its actually running at 1800mhz there, 800 in cpuz would be 1600 mhz.

CPU-z reports the memory bus frequency not the DDRx transfer rate which will be 2x the bus frequency.

Back