• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And that is a big part of so many people rooting for AMD. They are the last hope for keeping the Blue Monster from having the game all to themselves.

What I have been trying to get at with a lot of my posts in the CPU sections is that the age of x86 is coming to a close. That doesn't mean that its death will not be postponed, like it has several times over. The consumer and enterprise level computer market will have a unique window in the next 10-20yrs. Several new technologies are coming into play, and advancements have started to create new markets that will slowly but rapidly emerge. Customized CPUs and firmware is not to far off, and build your own SoC could easily become a thing. What kind of systems do those CPUs cater toward? Who knows.

People of all branches of studies are now able to pick up a simple drone and create amazing things with them. Swarm algorithms that used to take a grad student 2 weeks and 4 nights of no sleep to simulate, now takes an ARM proc nano-seconds to find the answer. Don't be surprised how quickly technology can move when marketing gets involved.

I would not agree with you at all.

Consumerism drives continual renewal of the same product but with different features. How ever, the creation and utilization of computer systems is vast.

New tech toys like quadros could never be a thing without some standardized system that everyone could use.

"There is nothing new under the sun". Except transistors. Transistors were new. :) The end of the desktop has been forecast for a few years now , yet they manage t keep soldiering on.

Last edited:
The end of the PC came........and it was dead..........but now it's coming back.
Same as consoles were dead for a while, but came back with a vengeance.

Everything is cyclical

I don't remember when PC was considered dead, it had been talked about that way for the past decade with each new console release and every new technology that gets released (smaller laptops, tablets, smart phones, set top boxes, etc), but those that still need/want a PC will have one, and those that don't will toss it/storage their old one and replaced with a new smart device. That said, the market for PCs is decreasing, as can be seen in the various earnings reports from Microsoft, AMD, Intel, nVidia that a lot of the common-use items that are used in PCs are on a downward trend IIRC.

The last time that consoles were discussed as dead (that I remember) was the post-Atari pre-NES days, then that took off and continued on from there to be bigger each generation.

Nope.........the materials used in said transistors existed, therefore any applied usages were forseen.

Is it Devils Advocate when arguing in favor of a biblical line?

Anywho..........

But hey, we are all stardust, what we are made of did not exist naturally in our solar system...

I can argue both sides on one post......wheeee

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember when PC was considered dead

For me, it was when good PC games died out, and all we were left with were MMOs

And the death of consoles, well, there was a console crash post-80s, when PCs took off again.

Consumerism drives continual renewal of the same product but with different features. How ever, the creation and utilization of computer systems is vast.

New tech toys like quadros could never be a thing without some standardized system that everyone could use.

Yes, totally agree, this is something I have been thinking about as to why the PC desktop market with its 'modular' concept just keeps on going on even today, its bigger than ever. :) the diversity of products and features compared to say decade ago or even 5 yrs back is amazing.

Or how slowly implementation can move when humans get involved. The end of the desktop PC has been a done deal for quite a while now. LOL

Right, that's why businesses everywhere keep on buying exponential thousands of desktops every few years...

I think he was being sarcastic

*needs to be a sarcasm emote*

but actually, companies are buying fewer and fewer complete new systems when they do upgrades, do to the fact that systems last a good long while.
Sure they upgrade parts where needed.

And heck, for servers......there are servers out there, mainly in government hands, still running on original pentium systems. The average network domain/forest is a mix of different server OSs.

*needs to be a sarcasm emote*

but actually, companies are buying fewer and fewer complete new systems when they do upgrades, do to the fact that systems last a good long while.
Sure they upgrade parts where needed.

And heck, for servers......there are servers out there, mainly in government hands, still running on original pentium systems. The average network domain/forest is a mix of different server OSs.

I'd say this is less correct today than a few years ago. These days, virtualization rules the general server market. Need more HP? Migrate your VMs to a new more powerful host. Need more storage? SANs and disk arrays galore. VMs don't care what they run on, as long as it is the same hypervisor. AMD or Intel doesn't matter as long as it has the cores(and compute power) and ram you need. For single standalone servers, sure, but I know the company I worked for upgraded the standalone servers along with the core VMs to maintain feature parity and utilize the tools the core VM upgrade (OS) enabled.

Overall, anything after Core 2 era is still plenty powerful for daily use for basic enterprise usage.

Edited for clarity: I was primarily talking about the server OS thing. Hardware wise you are slot on. And government is a separate can of worms....

So very very true about Governments and businesses ONLY upgrading when it suits them, I know of one large gov dept that still uses 1980s era databases... if it ain't broke, why change it? like the old saying goes...lol...

So very very true about Governments and businesses ONLY upgrading when it suits them, I know of one large gov dept that still uses 1980s era databases... if it ain't broke, why change it? like the old saying goes...lol...

Because the new vendor's salespeople say it is the government's job to hand out money to for-profit corporations rather than roll their own [less expensive and more reliable and more interoperable] solution...

Let's go with ironic. Sarcastic would be a little harsher than my intent. I have been reading about the imminent demise of the desktop for a few years. It started when laptops were the heir apparent , then the advancements in computing power for tablets and "the cloud" were going to supplant desktops , leapfrogging over the laptop , followed by the prediction that smart phones were the eventual replacement for the venerable desktop. The mainstream media (and a few outlets that should know better) have been on that bandwagon , off and on , since I built my first PC in 2010. CDs were supposed to be extinct by now , too. Some people like physical media , some people like their storage on site.

Because the new vendor's salespeople say it is the government's job to hand out money to for-profit corporations rather than roll their own [less expensive and more reliable and more interoperable] solution...

Maybe, but half the problem is compatibility with newer computer systems and networks.. magnified by the investment in resources to update it all.

Maybe, but half the problem is compatibility with newer computer systems and networks.. magnified by the investment in resources to update it all.

I read this to say they dont want to train their people or take responsibility for a roll your own solution.

Great thread guys, Im really enjoying reading it

I love it...PC enthusiasts say the PC is dead. I visit another music production site and it's the same thing "Insert your favorite music here" is dead. it's not dead people. Maybe you're just done with it :p

Back