• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@Shawn

Can you tell us how you killed your CH6 ????????
I have 1 in bound and do not wish to kill it before I get a change to put a pot on it :)

It was more like a suicide then me killing it. It was always unstable and would lock up. One time I get a message saying my BIOS is updating don't shut down but it's not updating. When you restart the board doesn't start . I managed to recover this a few times but the last time nothing. All the lights are on, on the board but hitting power gives nothing the fans don't even try to spin

this is not sounding very good at all. I pre-ordered the 1800x and crosshair on the 22nd Feb, my local supplier got the 1800x in so I collected that on 3rd March, but the board is still not in.. and they was told it'd be there tomorrow, now they're being told Friday.

and all this.. I could get this and it just murders itself?

I mean I upgraded my mrs to my 6700k 4 core over her old 8350 so I could use the AMD in my 2nd PC.. now I'm wondering if I should just take the CPU back, cancel the pre-order, refund, and just slam the money on another Intel chip for the next year or so til Zen is actually ready for consumption.

seems like AMD really dropped the ball here.

it's a shame too, I was genuinely excited. now I'm dreading getting it.. :(

@BlueFalcon

If you go to the ASUS web page, under CH6 CPU. They have listed the A10 and A12 4c 65w & 35w CPU's. They are also listed as rev A1????? Not sure when these will be released though :(

Johan just described what we are all seeing. At some point, the BIOS wants to update itself and that causes corruption. I'm starting to put my tin foil hat on and say its the ***

It was more like a suicide then me killing it. It was always unstable and would lock up. One time I get a message saying my BIOS is updating don't shut down but it's not updating. When you restart the board doesn't start . I managed to recover this a few times but the last time nothing. All the lights are on, on the board but hitting power gives nothing the fans don't even try to spin

This was with the Beta Bios that was released on the 1st or 2nd of this month?????

@BlueFalcon

If you go to the ASUS web page, under CH6 CPU. They have listed the A10 and A12 4c 65w & 35w CPU's. They are also listed as rev A1????? Not sure when these will be released though :(

Just FYI the CHVI DOESN'T have video out

- - - Updated - - -

Johan just described what we are all seeing. At some point, the BIOS wants to update itself and that causes corruption. I'm starting to put my tin foil hat on and say its the ***

I'm pretty sure this is an ASUS problem. Other boards aren't having this issue and it seems not all CHVI either. Could just be a bad "lot"

This was with the Beta Bios that was released on the 1st or 2nd of this month?????

It really didn't matter whic I used. I had it happen on 5704 and 5803 I did recover the board 4 times but right from the start it was buggy.

At this point, having sold my rig, I'm pretty much looking to buy in a couple weeks. Gonna get an 8core cause why not [emoji14]

I hope microcenter's price on the 1700x holds... $350 for a 1700x... Hell yes!

@Johan, I'm just playing off the fact that we all see a BIOS Update screen when we didn't issue it, and than our boards brick. A particular intelligence agency has been known to do similar things. :tinhat:

@Johan, I'm just playing off the fact that we all see a BIOS Update screen when we didn't issue it, and than our boards brick. A particular intelligence agency has been known to do similar things. :tinhat:

Gee thanks now they Know that I know you and that you know what you're not supposed to know meaning we know too much. Tin foil ain't gonna help

Is Asus being kind about the RMA process or are they shuffling feet? There wouldn't seem to be anything to deny RMA for, but that doesnt mean they wont try

Just curious on your thoughts. Why the shortage of boards. Where manufacturer caught off guard, tried to cut corners with ****ty parts or did they just pull allot of boards to deal with bios issues? There are just not many boards out there.

The reason I ask is I am eyeing up an open box giga gaming 5 but a wondering if I buy it will gigabyte all of a sudden come out with a new Rev with updates like they have so often done in the AMD boards. I'm not really in a rush and probably xant get a 1700X for a bit but the $60 or so savings is appealing.

I just think that manufacturers don't trust AMD enough to invest in whole line of high end motherboards like it is with Intel. Each manufacturer except maybe ASRock has released ~4-5 motherboards. All of them are quite simple but AMD chipsets are simple too. You can't compare it to X99. It's more like a Z87. Anyway there are no boards full of additional features, no full RGB lighting etc. I'm not saying that lighting is important as for many users it's not but it's a thing which is in everything in this year, mice, keyboards, motherboards, fans, cases, graphics cards ... but AMD boards are not really flashy, they're just standard boards but somehow still not so cheap.
I don't believe that manufacturers didn't have enough time to prepare good boards as I already said couple of times in this thread. They had many months for that and multiple BIOS versions are just showing they spent a lot of time on tests but maybe can't fix all with BIOS ...

I don't have the answers Bassnut, I do know that ATM used the Giga for review and didn't seem to have any trouble with it. One thing he did mention is that the BCLK couldn't be adjusted but that could come with BIOS update.

I just think that manufacturers don't trust AMD enough to invest in whole line of high end motherboards like it is with Intel. Each manufacturer except maybe ASRock has released ~4-5 motherboards. All of them are quite simple but AMD chipsets are simple too. You can't compare it to X99. It's more like a Z87. Anyway there are no boards full of additional features, no full RGB lighting etc. I'm not saying that lighting is important as for many users it's not but it's a thing which is in everything in this year, mice, keyboards, motherboards, fans, cases, graphics cards ... but AMD boards are not really flashy, they're just standard boards but somehow still not so cheap.
I don't believe that manufacturers didn't have enough time to prepare good boards as I already said couple of times in this thread. They had many months for that and multiple BIOS versions are just showing they spent a lot of time on tests but maybe can't fix all with BIOS ...

I'm not sure what you mean here Woomack. Asus, ASRock, MSI, Gigabyte and Biostar all have full RGB control.

Woomack has this. I posted a bit about ~100 pages back now. Mobo companies are going to take their time coming into the new AMD waters. If the CH6 issues are just BIOS issues, I wouldn't be surprised. I would be shocked if there are actual hardware issues that turn out to not be root-caused to AMD Chipset/CPU. The AM4 tech is not new, and has been on Intel boards for awhile. Some differences in acceptable electrical specs but not enough to warrant rampant hardware issues in a board.

BIOS issues are probably going to plague the new Mobos for a bit until the OEMs get their act together. I wouldn't be surprised if the CH6 BIOS team was just 3 guys. That's a lot of features and support to get bolted together. BIOS development takes a long time (~year or more).

Just curious Dolk, How long did your board work? Also wondered if you saw any of this behaviour. When I was transferring files after first boot. The left pane in both the source folder and target folder seemed to "bounce" in synchronicity for lack of better words. Something I have never witnessed before.

Back