• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 since friday and I see it's stable. No issues after OC except you can't count on much more than 1.4V on CPU or vrm will overheat. At 1.35V 3.9-3.95GHz works fine and temps are quite low. There are limited settings in BIOS but I had no issues pushing it above 4.1GHz for tests and BIOS didn't die even though PC was crashing many times. Memory is working without issues at 3200. XMP from 3466 kit works as 3200 and it's stable. XMP from 3200 kit is working as it should at 3200. That's Crucial and G.Skill memory kits.
ASUS X370-Pro has no issues with my memory kits. Both could run at 3200 CL13-13-13. Because of no bclk adjustment couldn't go higher. So far Gigabyte B350 runs better than ASUS X370. I hope there will be improved BIOS for ASUS when I get the replacement.

I can only tell you that seeing how memory works on Ryzen I recommend Samsung single rank 2x8GB kits like Trident Z at tighter timings. These kits should let you run at 3200 and tight timings. Dual rank kits won't overclock so good but I had no chance to check where are the limits. In AMD specs it's clearly said that single rank runs higher. I have no free dual rank kits to check it right now. I also don't know if dual rank offers higher performance on this platform. If anyone has results then please share.

Engineers love feedback. We don't work well in an open loop system :)

I worked with hardware and software engineers for over 40 years and found in many cases they try to control the testing because they only want the feedback they want. They also tend to obsess over minute nuances of code and design, and are less interested the big picture, i.e., requirements, users and interfaces with external components/systems. Things often look different from the outside in than they do from the inside out.

I can only tell you that seeing how memory works on Ryzen I recommend Samsung single rank 2x8GB kits like Trident Z at tighter timings. These kits should let you run at 3200 and tight timings. Dual rank kits won't overclock so good but I had no chance to check where are the limits. In AMD specs it's clearly said that single rank runs higher. I have no free dual rank kits to check it right now. I also don't know if dual rank offers higher performance on this platform. If anyone has results then please share.
so if one wants 32GB of ram (work station), you think 4x8GB would be better than 2x16GB?

I worked with hardware and software engineers for over 40 years and found in many cases they try to control the testing because they only want the feedback they want. They also tend to obsess over minute nuances of code and design, and are less interested the big picture, i.e., requirements, users and interfaces with external components/systems. Things often look different from the outside in than they do from the inside out.

Your experience vs mine. I can tell you none of the engineers I work at Dell with are closed minded in the sense of not accepting feedback. We care about every aspect of the design and work tirelessly to optimize or do what we can to build each part of the system to the best of its ability.

I can't say this is the case for all engineers at all companies, but from my experience the old school engineers rule of no one can give them information is dead and gone. That style of work has been phased out of many of the companies I work with. We like to make things better, and thus we require other people to make fun of us while we are in the **** during development.

so if one wants 32GB of ram (work station), you think 4x8GB would be better than 2x16GB?

I had no chance to test but AMD says that 2x16GB has higher chance to run at higher frequency. On the other hand higher memory capacity per module is generally overclocking worse.
mem.jpg

SOme answers from AMD about RYZEN and reported issues. I will leave it to more knowledgeable people to pick this apart......

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update?sf62109582=1
Interesting. So the cache stuff was just a bug. Scheduler is fine I guess? I'm interested to know why people are claiming that Linux performs so much better then windows... Wait... NM.. it's Linux, of coarse it will perform better [emoji14]

Muhahahaha

Too bad not many game developers have come to the dark side (it's still better today, than a few years ago, thanks SteamOS for pushing the dream!)..... One day...

SOme answers from AMD about RYZEN and reported issues. I will leave it to more knowledgeable people to pick this apart......

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update?sf62109582=1

hey bassnut, I actually asked about this on a different forum too. so in the 'temperature' section, are they essentially saying we need to subtract 20 from our temp readings?

so if Ryzen Master is telling me an idle of 58 C, it's actually 38 C?

confused lol

I have Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 since friday and I see it's stable. No issues after OC except you can't count on much more than 1.4V on CPU or vrm will overheat. At 1.35V 3.9-3.95GHz works fine and temps are quite low. There are limited settings in BIOS but I had no issues pushing it above 4.1GHz for tests and BIOS didn't die even though PC was crashing many times. Memory is working without issues at 3200. XMP from 3466 kit works as 3200 and it's stable. XMP from 3200 kit is working as it should at 3200. That's Crucial and G.Skill memory kits.
ASUS X370-Pro has no issues with my memory kits. Both could run at 3200 CL13-13-13. Because of no bclk adjustment couldn't go higher. So far Gigabyte B350 runs better than ASUS X370. I hope there will be improved BIOS for ASUS when I get the replacement.

I've also now managed to get my Trident Z running properly in the Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3. The trick for me was to not use the XMP settings. At least with this memory (technically rated for 3600 MHz) the board won't boot properly with XMP. Instead, if I set the timings and voltage manually the board will boot fine. I think that's why before it was working when I made changes in Ryzen Master, because it was actually setting the timings/speed directly and not relying on the board to read XMP.

I don't know if the problem is with XMP in particular, or if the board is just confused because my memory is technically 3600. Memory actually rated for 3200 will have an actual XMP setting for that speed, whereas it looks like mine only has one for 3600 and 3400. So, you might be able to do yourself a favor by only getting memory that's actually rated for 3200.

That being said, to get the board to boot at 3200 I did have to increase the voltage to 1.4v, otherwise it would only go up to 2933 like with the Asrock board. Another thing that threw me off was that often after changing settings in the BIOS the next boot will fail, but it turns out if I go back in and save and exit again it will then work.

I'm pretty happy with this board now, although I hope with future BIOS releases I'll be able to drop the voltage back down to 1.35. I know the memory is actually stable at that speed, it just has trouble booting.

well, this is the best I can manage for the moment.

settings:

multiplier: 41
voltage: 1.4325v
mem speed: 2666
timings: 16-18-18-36
mem voltage: 1.3v
soc voltage: 1.2v

I have tried lowering clock speed, increasing mem voltage, everything to get it to boot with as close to 3000 MHz as possible, these are Team Group 3000 MHz Dual Channel sticks, up to 1.35v or so.

no dice.

the best I can get it to is 2666 MHz.

AM4CPUZ.png AM4CPUZMem.png AM4SysCinebenchBest.png AM4SysOpen.png

It looks like this explains why people with the 1700X and 1800X were reporting higher temps. The temps were actually the same, but just increased by 20 degrees. I'm guessing that AMD wanted the fans to be more aggressive on the higher TDP processors? To be honest it seems like an odd way of achieving that.

It looks like this explains why people with the 1700X and 1800X were reporting higher temps. The temps were actually the same, but just increased by 20 degrees. I'm guessing that AMD wanted the fans to be more aggressive on the higher TDP processors? To be honest it seems like an odd way of achieving that.
My guess: to keep the XFR boost most of the time.

I do both. None of the MSI, ASRock or Asus boards I've tried have been good enough so far. I assume you're speaking of AM4 Gigabyte boards, because none of what you say applies to my former X99 Gigabyte boards.

My gigabyte boards (two of them) are sitting in a box unused because they couldn't handle the power draw of crossfire and an overclock. My opinion on the supposed quality of GB isn't very good on any platform right now.

Woomack is having good luck with his Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3.:D

VRM's overheat with 1.4v on the CPU. I don't know what you consider good, but I will pass.

How do you know the VRM is overheating, is it throttling or is the MOSFET running over 120c?

Last edited:
Which boards have external clock gens, is it just the Asus CH6 and Asrock Taichi and Fatal1ty Pro right now? I guess Gigabyte Gaming K7 will have one, if it ever shows up.

How do you know the VRM is overheating, is it throttling or is the MOSFET running over 120c?

Above 100*C vrm is visible instability. I'm not sure where is the sensor but part of vrm have no heatsinks ( still additional fan is not helping ). It happens only during longer runs at 100% load ( like new Prime95 ) and above 1.4V ( more like ~1.44V ). No one said it's a motherboard designed for top OC and I guess that many other B350 boards have the same issues. It's just how ryzen is scalling under load and any higher voltage above stock ( up to 1.4V is still stock ). Difference in vrm temps between 1.35V and 1.45V is about 25*C under full load. During benchmarks, temps are usually not much above 70*C at 1.45V. During gaming will be the same.
I have the same OC results on ASUS X370-Pro as on Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3. In both cases fully stable is 3.90-3.95GHz ~1.35V. B350 boards are not really designed for max OC. There are barely any OC options. I just don't think that average user will complain. It still can make 3.9GHz without any issues. It runs memory up to 3200 without any issues. I also have no problems with stability in OS. At 3.9GHz all temps should be way below max safe values.

If you are looking for max OC then something 10 phase or more will be required so there are maybe 4-5 boards like that. On the other hand difference between average B350 and the most expensive X370 is up to 100MHz on ambient cooling while X370 cost up to 2x more. All depends on what are you expecting.
Now if you want to get the best results then you need bclk adjustment which so far I've seen only in ASUS CHVI. Prime has it disabled and I guess that top MSI has it too but I just haven't seen this board.

Back