• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was correct that Ryzen uses two dies.:D

Ryzen desktop variant is quite clearly a single die. IT was also very explicitly stated in the video you replied to. Hence why R5 series CPUs will have 2 CCX. What you are calling a die is meerly a single CPU core module. There is only a single front end for the combine 2 CCX units, and as such must be considered a single die.

Last edited:
Theory for those that want to test memory latency (NOT CACHE):

If you have a 1700 or up to 1800x, please enable/disable a set of 4Cores (SMT OFF) and test memory latency. Repeat test for other set of 4 cores.

The set of 4 cores should be Cores 0 through 3, and Cores 4 through 7. I want to verify something that I've noticed in the Ryzen die shot.

xtbvmx9axihy.jpg
Quoted Dolk's post/dieshot so you can see it again wingman.
I was correct that Ryzen uses two dies.:D
So dies are cut from a round silicon wafer. Those cuts are always rectangular. Where can you make a rectangle, on the die shot above, without cutting something that is a structure. If you notice along the edge of the die itself, there are structures, make sure you don't clip one of those off. It is one single piece of continuous silicon....

Therefore, it is a SINGLE DIE not a dual die.

Looks like two dies here also.

Hardware unboxed said all 8 cores are not located within the same die.

There are two solder stickers...I am saying there is one die. Want to know how I know that?

Because this is what an MCM looks like.

shot1.jpg

That is a Q6600 for reference. Would you mind pointing out where the die splits in Ryzen?

ryzen-die.jpg

That is a die shot for reference. The Q6600 is physically two completely separate dies tied together using the FSB.

Looks like two dies here also.

Hardware unboxed said all 8 cores are not located within the same die.

So this is only 4 cores then?
tapatalk_1490839379457.jpeg

Funny, on this one continuous die (above, single, not plural) shot, there are two of these:

core-complex-amd-ryzen.jpg

I guess I am wrong. You are right wingman, and there must be two of the first pictures on a Ryzen 8 core CPU. That must mean each CCX only contains 2 cores, and AMD has lied about how many CPU cores their are in a CCX. Furthermore, the Ryzen 7 series MUST have 4 CCXs to have 8 cores! You sir, have exposed AMD's lies!

You can lead a horse to water.............

So far with 64 gigs of ram i have gotten to 4.1 at 1.4125 with 2666 speed not to bad for the start. temps hit 70 max

4.2 would not boot into windows even at 1.5 so i just stopped at that point.

It almost makes XFR the way to go because it auto clocks cores to 4.1 anyways on my system, and then keeps temps down
James, I would agree that it is fairly pointless to run the 1800X as overclocked, mostly cause it hurts the 1800X's single threaded/dual threaded performance if you overclock to less than the XFR frequency. That being said, XFR only hits 4.1ghz for up to 2 cores, not the whole CPU. So in theory, you can increase performance in your 3+ core utilization applications by overclocking it to 4.0ghz, with a minor loss in lightly threaded applications.

Essentially robbing Peter to pay Paul [emoji14]

Seems like a pointless race though since nobody is really going anywhere. All these struggles with BIOS bricking and other motherboard issues just to get the top-of-the-line 1800X/CH6 combo slightly over 4.1 GHz is hardly worth the effort. My 1700X/B350 setup made 4 GHz without hardly trying, and we knew weeks ago that, give or take a few MHz, the 1700 is good for 3.9 GHz, the 1700X 4.0 GHz and the 1800X 4.1 GHz. So we're taking itsy bisty e-peens here.

I actually have one 1800X that won't even do 4 GHz stable, so you can still end up with some real duds. I think the chip might have been a return though. The seal hadn't been broken, but the sticker on the bottom had been peeled back and there was some minor scuffing on the heat spreader. I decided to give it a try, but I might still attempt to return it. It's lame being sold what was basically an open box that was labeled as new.

The latest bios for the Asrock Fatal1ty Professional now has my memory running at 3200 MHz no problems, so it looks like the memory improvements really are coming! Unfortunately, I can't get the BCLK overclocking on the board to work. I actually can get it to boot with my memory up to 3600 MHz, but my SSD isn't detected so all I can do is run Memtest 86+ off a thumb drive.

Also the fan control on this board sucks. For some reason it uses a sensor on the board instead of the sensor on the chip itself. That makes it too slow to adjust, so by the time the board realizes your CPU is heating up and that it should ramp up the fans, you've already overheated.

I'm back on the Ryzen train again. Microcenter had the 1700X on sale for $370 with $50 off the mobo, so I added the ASRock B350 Pro 4 for $40. ASRock came out with a new BIOS that has a working core voltage setting and a working XMP profile for my DDR4-3000 to run at 2933. As has been typical with my previous 1700s and 1700X, overclocking is minimal. For true 100% stability, all of them would end up between 3800 and 3900. All could make benchmarking runs at 3900, and two could go to 4 GHz but not truly stable. But at the low price I'm at, I can deal with that with the plus that now the RAM is at 2933 @ CL15. If I had spent $250 or more on the motherboard, I'd be a little cranky.

BTW, the ASRock B350 Pro 4 and more expensive B350 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 have identical circuit layouts and use the same BIOS. I like the Pro 4 since it has no stupid lights and, of course, it is cheaper.

BTW, the ASRock B350 Pro 4 and more expensive B350 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 have identical circuit layouts and use the same BIOS. I like the Pro 4 since it has no stupid lights and, of course, it is cheaper.

As another plus no money gets kicked back to a washed up "pro-gamer" either. ;)

With the very low OC headroom on these chips would you say that its effectively not worth the effort to go with a liquid cooled setup?

Every PC I have built in many years for myself or technically capable folks have been water cooled. I want to build a new Ryzen rig probably go for an R5 1600X, but Im thinking why spend the extra cash on liquid cooling if its not going to give much extra headroom?

Also has anyone worked with any of the MSI boards?? Im looking at newegg trying to price out a motherboard and the ones catching my attention are mostly MSI, but I really dont want to fight with the damn thing too much.

I wouldn't say it's not worth it. There are plenty of benefits in Ryzen's case if you are ok with the maintenance:

1- the CPU will run cooler, and heat is the bane of all electronics
2- water-cooling can reduce noise levels

Those two are just off the top of my head. I don't think the Ryzen CPUs will really see much benefit from overkill loops like FX did, assuming you want to stay under AMD's recommended voltage limits.

Back