• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What??? A monolithic corporation not playing fair??? I'm stunned! LOL
Yeah , I really don't like Intel , but my next build will likely be made with the Blue Monster , for my previously stated reasons. AMD is currently so far behind I can't see buying a CPU that equates to a two generation old i5 , and waiting further for the dubious privilege. Especially since it will likely be on par with a 3 generation old i5 by then.

Yes, well sometimes the obvious has to be stated because it gets to the root of the problem and its often overlooked.

I agree. That wasn't a cheap shot aimed at your comment. That was just acknowledgement of the truth you told. :thup:

- - - Updated - - -

That was funny and I enjoyed reading it. I hope it's not true because I'd like to play both sides when this puppy hits the shelves and I want it to be worth it.

I would love for AMD to present a chip that keeps up with a Devil's Canyon , 8 cores , and as much fun to lean on as the Phenom II and FX , with AMD's legendary bang/buck ratio. But to be safe , I'm not betting the house payment on that. :)

Not quite Zen but getting closer to its projected performance and for those who want or own FM2+ platform... its.. Carrizo coming to Athlon X4's...

- - - Updated - - -

I would love for AMD to present a chip that keeps up with a Devil's Canyon , 8 cores , and as much fun to lean on as the Phenom II and FX , with AMD's legendary bang/buck ratio. But to be safe , I'm not betting the house payment on that. :)

True, but at least with a house payment (presuming its a mortgage) the asset won't or shouldn't depreciate like computer/elecrtronic gear.. :) + its one of life' s necessities eg. roof over your head.

Trust in the force Luke

http://wccftech.com/amd-polaris/

[UPDATE 3 : 2016 January 8, 03:53 AM ET]
We’ve reached out to AMD and they have confirmed that the Polaris GPU demoed was in fact built using Globalfoundries’ 14nm FinFET process. Some publications have reported that Polaris will be a mix of both TSMC 16nm and Globalfoundries 14nm GPUs, which is where some of the confusion could potentially have stemmed from. However, according to AMD Polaris “is only 14nm”.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-polaris/#ixzz3wgBSXQd0

It's good to see AMD make some progress the PC market has been boring for way too long. The fact that my old setup I sold to my close friend back in 2011 when I moved to take a job as a network tech is STILL running and STILL better than most $1000 setups today is pathetic.

Hopefully Zen is good, coworker and I were planning on a ITX build to supplement our laptops.

Pretty sure the unified socket is old news.

True they announced it several years ago, but like AMD tends to trend. First to announce last to deliver. Dont get me wrong I have a crapload of AMD products and I still support them, but they have several nasty habits that need to change.

True they announced it several years ago, but like AMD tends to trend. First to announce last to deliver. Dont get me wrong I have a crapload of AMD products and I still support them, but they have several nasty habits that need to change.

"Last to deliver"? What does the fact of them announcing going to a unified socket have to do with when the AM4 boards are released? I mean you can't do anything until the boards are actually released can you?

"Last to deliver"? What does the fact of them announcing going to a unified socket have to do with when the AM4 boards are released? I mean you can't do anything until the boards are actually released can you?

I would think the relevance has to do with when they announced they were moving that way-a long time ago. And the (never delivered) FX performance hype , and release dates that seem to get delayed interminably. I'm a fan of AMD , but we've been turned in to Cubs fans. "Maybe next year...." LOL

I would think the relevance has to do with when they announced they were moving that way-a long time ago. And the (never delivered) FX performance hype , and release dates that seem to get delayed interminably. I'm a fan of AMD , but we've been turned in to Cubs fans. "Maybe next year...." LOL

Lets take a look at APUs in general. AMD announced they were going to be releasing CPU+GPU combos way back in like 2005 when the acquired ATI. At that time they were the first to announce such a product for desktop computing. However, years later nothing in sight and BLAM Intel hits the mainstream market with sandy bridge. Over a year later AMD finally comes out with the first generation APUs. Thats only one example of what I'm referring to. Now in all honesty Intel was probably planning to add GPUs onto their CPUs longer, but did the smart thing and kept their mouth shut about it until they had a product ready to launch.

AMD in general has a nasty habit of saying to much with nothing tangible to back it up. Rumors end up hurting them more than anything IMO. Getting people riled up about a new product that then takes a year longer than expected to launch and doesn't perform to the expectations that they set.

the (never delivered) FX performance hype

Except that it was delivered, and you don't have to do anything more than check around it's price point and release date and look at cores/threads/L2 cache to see that. Real-world work isn't gaming benchmarks, nor is it single-threaded.

At the time of FX's release , most real-world work was single threaded , wasn't it ? I like AMD. I'd like to see Zen be all that and a bag of chips. I'd like to see it be able to run on a sub $180 mobo at stock speeds and be released on time , too. AMD has a hype vs. history problem , though.

At the time of FX's release , most real-world work was single threaded , wasn't it ? I like AMD. I'd like to see Zen be all that and a bag of chips. I'd like to see it be able to run on a sub $180 mobo at stock speeds and be released on time , too. AMD has a hype vs. history problem , though.

Not really, because we've had SMP/SMT schedulers in operating system kernels for years. See a short article on the cost of context-switching. Not sure how accurate the numbers are, and it doesn't show any AMD CPUs, but it does illustrate that more cores is objectively better as long as processes aren't jumping across cores (or modules in FX, or HT virtual cores on Intel, where L2 is shared), and that a larger L2 cache can drastically reduce the impact of switching.

Interesting. And my next question isn't skepticism , just trying to fill the rather large holes in my knowledge. Doesn't that just partially make up for the per core deficit in performance? If Intel is doing the same thing , but with faster cores , aren't they still substantially ahead?

Interesting. And my next question isn't skepticism , just trying to fill the rather large holes in my knowledge. Doesn't that just partially make up for the per core deficit in performance? If Intel is doing the same thing , but with faster cores , aren't they still substantially ahead?

Depends how much faster the cores are vs how many threads are split over them. You'd need a graph with quite a lot of dimensions to have a definitive answer, and it changes for every use case :)

Depends how much faster the cores are vs how many threads are split over them.

Ah ha! I'm mostly learning how much I don't know. I do know my old Phenom 9850 was probably sufficient for 80% of what I do. Other than leaving multiple tabs in multiple browsers open and a tendency to run multiple processes in the background. LOL I confess to a little "newer is better" syndrome , but OC is my primary source of info and referenced material on these subjects. So I ask questions. Thanks! :)

I was building mostly all AMD stuff from 2003 to 2007, since then, pretty close to zero. Built lots of single and dual socket 939/940 setups until Core 2 Duo and Socket 771 came out. I initially had hopes for Zen, but when I heard them touting Haswell-like performance for a new chip released two years later, I lost interest.

I was building mostly all AMD stuff from 2003 to 2007, since then, pretty close to zero. Built lots of single and dual socket 939/940 setups until Core 2 Duo and Socket 771 came out. I initially had hopes for Zen, but when I heard them touting Haswell-like performance for a new chip released two years later, I lost interest.
Skylake isn't much better than Haswell. I'd say it's a pretty good boost for AMD. If the price point is right, it puts them back in the game.

Back