• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anarchy Online Froob Org Opportunity!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Porvalsh

An invitation to join a great group of people in an old school game...which can be played for free these days.

If you've heard of AO, skip to "Who".

What Are We Talking About Here?

anarchy_online_new_graphics_engine.jpg
image_020.jpg
image_012.jpg

Anarchy Online is a MMORPG that came onto the scene in 2001. Yeah, I know, thats a long friggin time ago! It was somewhat ground breaking because of its sandbox style character development and Sci-Fi stage. Since its release it has gone through I think 3 major expansions. For info regarding the storyline behind AO, go here. Basically though, Rubi-Ka is a distant planet found to support life. It was settled when Omni-Tek discovered Notum on it. Omni-tek exists to harvest all the notum (similar to the movie Avatar) while the Clan uprising has formed to oppose the evil money grubbing Omni-Tek forces.

The game if difficult compared to many of the MMO's out today. Open skill development means that you can be whatever you want to be, which can also have the effect of making you a gimp, lol. Analytical people tend to enjoy the game for the complexity it offers. It can be daunting learning it all at first, but for those that love a challenge, they love AO.

Word on the street is that AO will be integrating AoC's graphics engine soon but this has been delayed a good 2 years now. Some of us wonder if it will ever arrive. As such, AO's graphics are very outdated, but the graphics aren't why we play. A game with good graphics but poor community is much less fun than a game with poor graphics and awesome community. If you play a game for the graphics, you will probably not like this game.

Who Are We?

In 2002, Tribulations formed as a guild on Rubi-Ka 2 in Anarchy Online. Over the next 2 years we grew in size to about 250 active members and were able to do many server firsts, as well as control large plots of lands in Notum Wars. We were a highly regarded guild based around friendship and helping others. It is to this day that a small core group of us still chat on our vent servers whether we're playing a game together or not.

With the launch of Shadowlands expansion, the game was slowly killed. For many of us that had been with the game since launch, SL was the beginning of the end. The orgininal guild went through some name changes and eventually settled as Alpha Omega. This group of people are mostly european players now and the original core has moved on.

The Opportunity to Join Us!

Tribulations has decided to form a "Froob" guild. Froob is the term given to players that are playing the free version of the game. Since AO is so old, they have decided to offer the classic version of the game for free. You can add on the expansions if you would like to start paying a fee (15.00/mo). Classic AO is what many of us old schoolers really like. We've decided to start up another org, sister to the continuing "Alpha Omega" org mentioned above and we are recruiting!

Our Org is trying to hit the casual gamers as they call them these days. The fact is, we're older now and can't afford to spend 12-16 hours a day in a game. We are lucky to get 12-16 hours a week! AO is a team MMO though in that teams are often required to do the fun content. Our Org aims to keep a group of people around certain level ranges so that you will always have people to team with, so long as you can make it online for the weekly meetup/leveling events.

We will only be playing content on Rubi-Ka and NOT going into Shadowlands, or any of the Alien stuff. We also request that paying players joining us NOT utilize Shadowlands and Alien invasion perks/skills. If we all used these we would become too powerful for RK and it won't be any fun.

We are for:
  • Casual Gamers. (Try to play around 10 hours a week).
  • Newbies that want to learn the game.
  • Veterans that love the Rubi-Ka content and are willing to put effort into developing and supporting others.
  • Froobs only (Free to play). If your account is activated for expansions we ask that the players in our guild not utilize expansion perks. Must be Froob-like.
  • Mature and respectful of others.
We are primarily a PvE Org right now, but in the future, we look to take land via PvP so that we can build our own towers. Our big brother Org is poised to help us with this endeavor when the time comes. PvP on RK is based around land control and arena matches for bragging rights. Some of the higher end dungeons are also open PvP.

Next Steps...

• Visit Anarchy-Online.com to setup an account and download the game.
  • Create a character on the Rimor dimension (Rubi-Ka 2) and join the clan side.
  • Register on Tribulations.org and fill out an org application. Include a time when you will be available in game for a short interview. We want to make sure we'll be a good fit in order to avoid an awkward departure from our guild down the road.
  • Alternatively, if you'd like to chat ingame my character name is "Porv".

I used to love AO way back when. I was a Froob, I had a lvl 45 Engineer. I got tired of the game though after finding out you had to have a vehicle to go anywhere since its such a long distance between place to place and you have to buy the expansions to get any decent vehicles.

This is true to an extent. As a froob I believe you can still buy a yalm, stilleto, as well as the little ground vehicle. Also, fixer run speed and fixer grid help with getting to places throughout the world. My fixer has a few vehicles but never uses them anymore. 1600 run speed and fixer grid and I can be anywhere in the world in about 2 minutes. Also, having a fixer in your team will take you home quickly at the end of a mission because they can team grid you.

Adventurer also has a few buffs that help with travel. Parrot form buffs run speed 160. At lvl 20 I have this which takes my run speed to 300ish and so travel isn't too bad. Engineers also get a warp team member nano which will bring a teamate anywhere in the world to their location.

There are also grid points in every major city. The only time you really spend a lot of time running around the planet is when going to remote places for leveling or missions. Usually this is helped by getting Fgrid from a friend or only rolling missions which you know are close to either whompas or grid points. I think they've added some more too since launch.

but yeah...I rememeber doing A LOT of running around before I figured out how to use the whompa and grid points.

Last edited:
I played it for a while, just couldn't get the hang of the skill progression. I've been playing a bit of SWGEmu lately, though, so I think I'm starting to figure it out :) Will be joining you, if Crossover Games can handle AO.

EDIT: Just logged in to the "my account" thingy and found that the last time I played was 5 years ago :)

Last edited:
I played it for a while, just couldn't get the hang of the skill progression. I've been playing a bit of SWGEmu lately, though, so I think I'm starting to figure it out :) Will be joining you, if Crossover Games can handle AO.

EDIT: Just logged in to the "my account" thingy and found that the last time I played was 5 years ago :)

I have not done it but it seems like people have been doing it for a while. AO forums are usually a lot of help and a wealth of knowledge since the game has been around so long.

http://forums.anarchyonline.com/showthread.php?t=519341&page=4

Towards the end of this thread a user talks about using WINE instead of crossover and has had an easier time at it. I don't know anything about this stuff. :)

Edit: 5 years? Thats about right. Shadowlands came out in 2004 which begins the decline of subscriptions and max exodus! I sold my original account around that time while it was worth something. Then started a new account which I've dabbled in off and on over the past years.

Last edited:
I was playing up to 2 or 3 years ago. If there was an option to change a paid account to a froob I would come back. I had a high level fixer, meta and adventurer on RK1

This is true to an extent. As a froob I believe you can still buy a yalm, stilleto, as well as the little ground vehicle. Also, fixer run speed and fixer grid help with getting to places throughout the world. My fixer has a few vehicles but never uses them anymore. 1600 run speed and fixer grid and I can be anywhere in the world in about 2 minutes. Also, having a fixer in your team will take you home quickly at the end of a mission because they can team grid you.

Adventurer also has a few buffs that help with travel. Parrot form buffs run speed 160. At lvl 20 I have this which takes my run speed to 300ish and so travel isn't too bad. Engineers also get a warp team member nano which will bring a teamate anywhere in the world to their location.

There are also grid points in every major city. The only time you really spend a lot of time running around the planet is when going to remote places for leveling or missions. Usually this is helped by getting Fgrid from a friend or only rolling missions which you know are close to either whompas or grid points. I think they've added some more too since launch.

but yeah...I rememeber doing A LOT of running around before I figured out how to use the whompa and grid points.

I actually played again after the engineer and made a Fixer. got him to around lvl 50 and I quit again as it seemed to plateau lvling wise. I remember that I could no longer find a dungeon for the lvl 45+ I believe so I went to missioning which got tiresome after a couple days of that. Hmm if I can recover my fixers account ill try playing again and see how it feels. Its been a good three years. Iv heard the population has dropped as well on the free server, is that true? I had used the grid on my fixer and it was pretty fun with the speed hacks. I loved constructing my own SMGs. If I remember right I had one of those.. popular ones.. I forgot the name of it but I loved getting a new gun every few levels to blow crap up faster with bursts.

The thing about AO is that you have to give it time AND you have to have good people to play with. It gets super slow and crunchy if you are soloing for experience. Our Org is trying to get around this by creating a system where we level teams of people up rather than letting people just level by themselves with pick-up-groups. At some point, because of the population, you won't be able to get teams anymore, you'll get frustrated and probably quit. We want to grow large enough so that we have enough people at different levels so that you always have a team. We're doing this by designating leveling times during a week where we encourage people to log on and play with others in the org to keep everyone roughly the same level.

The thing about AO is that there are 220 levels. If you only play to lvl 50 you're experiencing less than 1/4 of the game! This is similar to playing only 20 levels in AoC or WoW.

Experience is exponential though...sucks. We're not in it to get to max level as quickly as possible. We're more in it for experiencing the game and having fun playing with others, building friendships, etc.

This is a sample character progression I proposed to people in our forums.

Level Progression Ideas for Levels Up To 100

Backyard Newb Missions Lvl 1-10

**At Lvl 10**Roll a set of Concrete Cushions

West Athen Subway Lvl 5-25 (Lvl locked at 25)
Notable Loot:
1.) Ring of Nucleus Basalis +NCU
2.) Jugglers Treat +MR for Adv
3.) Morphing Memory +NR on Memory, Levels with you (Sort of a Nano mage item)
4.) Froob Shirt
5.) Vagabond Cloak AddDef
6.) Belt of Justice 3 slot belt +NCU

**At Lvl 22** Roll a OT-Windchaser Quartz QL 22 Treatment Buffing Rifle

ToTW Lvl 20-60 (level locked at 60)
Notable Loot:
1.) Exarch Robe Needed for IS Pass but also uber back item.
2.) Barrow Strength
3.) Uber Guardian Tank Armor Looks sick
4.) Stygian Desolator or Frost Scythe of the Legionnaire Also have pretty good 1H blunt weapons.
5.) Fists of Orion if MA sticks around.
6.) Notum Ring of the Three Sick +dmg.
7.) Rare but nice, Guardian Circuit Board 5 slot belt

Foremans (Aka Biomare) Lvl 50-75 (level locked at 100)
Notable Loot:
1.) Customized IMI Desert Reet 0.o
2.) Combat Medics Light Tank Armor Doc Tank Armor +3BM, MM
3.) Assault Class Tank Armor Awesome 1K absorb
4.) Gamma Ejector Fixer Weap
5.) TIM Scope +Inits
6.) Crat sealed orders if needed.
7.) Corroded Ring +HP

Cyborgs Barracks (For Cracka) Lvl 70-90 (Don't think is level locked)
Notable Loot:
1.) Hellfury Cannon and Hellspiner Cannon
2.) Augmented Cyborg Armor Possibly for Adv (STA/PSY)

Dodga Pads Quest Lvl 80-100
Clan Shoulderpads for the Learned
Clan Shoulderpads for the Veracious

Crypt of Home Lvl 75-110 (level locked at 110)
Lots of notable loot as well:
1.) Uber Weapons - Pained Panther Enf/MP, Hungry Howlet ENF/MP, Dark Pistol of The Revoked (Crat), Blinded Blackbird Sol/Fix, Crispy Chiroptera Adv/Enf. Seriously killer weapons. Good reason to pick Enf over Keeper here.
2.) Human Skin Hood Casters
3.) Bracer of Recondite Flames MA/ADV +Fire Dmg
4.) Gamboling Masters Wear Awesome MA back item
5.) Shapeshifters Vest Nice ADV/FIX/DOC Chest Piece
6.) Cloak of the Revoked to make Veil of the Revoked Which looks cool.
7.) Necromancer Cloak used to make Reanimator Cloak +9 to nano skills at lvl 75
8.) Various others...

Patcher isn't working for me. Anybody else got a current install in Wine, Cedega, or Crossover and could lend some assistance?

I made a new account, decided to make a nano mage doctor. Im off work tomorrow so I should be able to get some time in then to get lvled up. I miss playing the support role.

Patcher isn't working for me. Anybody else got a current install in Wine, Cedega, or Crossover and could lend some assistance?

Found the fix: http://www.psy-q.ch/blog/articles/2008/10/29/running-newer-anarchy-online-under-wine/

Patcher now runs fine.

I've got two fugly avatars - a level 10 nanomage technician, and a level 11 (as of five minutes ago) fixer. Haven't logged into the nano. Fixer is around West Athens. Since I haven't played the game in so long I have no clue what to do or how to travel, so I just spent a half hour walking around shooting low-level leets and malles.

Last edited:
You should hit up the subway man. Its good steady killing and mobs go from lvl 6-22 or something like that.

The avatars are classic lol.

Msg me in game if you want to chat. /tell porv or /tell ficksterama

Found the fix: http://www.psy-q.ch/blog/articles/2008/10/29/running-newer-anarchy-online-under-wine/

Patcher now runs fine.

I've got two fugly avatars - a level 10 nano mage, and a level 11 (as of five minutes ago) fixer. Haven't logged into the nano. Fixer is around West Athens. Since I haven't played the game in so long I have no clue what to do or how to travel, so I just spent a half hour walking around shooting low-level leets and malles.

The subway in the middle of west athens is the best place to go. I havent logged on yet to get off newbie island but there used to normally be huge crowds of people infront of it. Hard to miss.

Is there a map I'm missing? I see the local map that is in completely non-detailed blocks of colors, and the planet map that is in completely useless high-detail terrain. Nothing actually shows any information other than terrain. Is this normal?

Is there a map I'm missing? I see the local map that is in completely non-detailed blocks of colors, and the planet map that is in completely useless high-detail terrain. Nothing actually shows any information other than terrain. Is this normal?

Hit P for the BIG map.

I might reinstall this for the heck of it, I remember years ago playing a free trial of this. Looks like a lot of things have changed. Either or :beer:

Hit P for the BIG map.

The map from <P> is the completely useless high-detail terrain map. I've got a choice of zoomed in uselessness or zoomed out uselessness, and can center the useless on my character or a mission pointer. Still useless, considering my character and a mission pointer are the only two things labeled on the map.

for the small map there are upgrades that you have to get which show your direction, other people, bad guys, vendors, and a few other things. You can see the upgrades in the store at the maps terminal.

Been playing AO since beta in late 2000, have always played an agent as my main currently my 220 Solitus Agent Apothis2, few years back my account got hacked and i lost my original agent but i havent had much time to play as of late. On rk-1 i was in the first clan organization Opposing Force and from there moved to RK-2 due to overpopulation. Joined with an alliance and ended up in Tiger-Claw where ive been for the last 6 years as a general. Tiger-Claw has now banded together with a few other orgs in a chat relay alliance.

If you peeps need any assistance send me a tell let me know your from the OC forums and ill do my best to help out. Im kinda waiting on the graphics overhaul to come back to play full time.

But im always willing to help.

/tell Apothis2
/tell Meatgonebad

HAI POR!!!!

for the small map there are upgrades that you have to get which show your direction, other people, bad guys, vendors, and a few other things. You can see the upgrades in the store at the maps terminal.

It appears I need lots of extra skill points in map navigation before I can use those. :(

Back