• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AND FX6300 @4.4 on air, suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DAKz

Ahhh s we begin our journey together to another "ultimate box....

I am looking at a 8350 but to be honest the fx6300 is doing very well,

I still haven't gotten the sabertooth put in but "practicing on this board since there is only a couple days life left to it.
Running 4.407 stable, with the multi at 21.5 and bumped the vcpu to 1.2375 while my temps stayed pretty cool never above 46, Ran it for 6 minutes so far so good, had it at 4.5 but I backed the voltage down and the ht clock. Iam I headed in the right direction?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    40.3 KB · Views: 818
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    39.1 KB · Views: 801
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    33.2 KB · Views: 739

Playing somemore getting closer and no issues so far,,, temps are as high as 47m nothing to worry about yet. Do seem to be at the edge for my ref clock anything above 210 turns red.

Attachments

• Capture45.PNG
    Capture45.PNG
    30.9 KB · Views: 762
  • Capture45a.PNG
    Capture45a.PNG
    43.7 KB · Views: 766
  • Capture45mem.PNG
    Capture45mem.PNG
    31.2 KB · Views: 763
OK at 4.6 I ran into a stability issue?

Attachments

• Capture46c.PNG
    Capture46c.PNG
    3.5 KB · Views: 626
  • Capture46a.PNG
    Capture46a.PNG
    24.1 KB · Views: 770
  • Capture46.PNG
    Capture46.PNG
    40.6 KB · Views: 759
well after a couple bsod's I turned it back down to 4.22 and its stable there, its 3:22am so I will go to bed and dream of getting the sabertooth in this case..

Playing somemore getting closer and no issues so far,,, temps are as high as 47m nothing to worry about yet. Do seem to be at the edge for my ref clock anything above 210 turns red.

Not sure what you mean by everything turns red, but there should be no reason you can't go higher on thr HT ref. Your HT and NB speeds aren't that high so I would assume it's the memory giving you grief when you go over 210. Just try turning the mem multiplier back one.

"Johan" I think he is referring to the right pane of his bios menus where there is green for a 'in spec' setting chosen in the left pane and goes to yellow and then red in the right pane when the left menu setting is what is considered by the mobo company as out of spec. I have had to disregard that on boards that had it for over 12 years now. Especially if one wants to overclock which is by its' very nature...running parts out of spec. Red to me is just a "getting there" indicator. Hehehe.
RGone...

I didn't realize that it would do that for HT ref clock. Now voltages Yes I'm used to seeing the reds and yellows. We're using the same board and as far as I know only the voltages will change colour. Maybe I'm just too used to ignoring those things.

I didn't realize that it would do that for HT ref clock. Now voltages Yes I'm used to seeing the reds and yellows. We're using the same board and as far as I know only the voltages will change colour. Maybe I'm just too used to ignoring those things.

I am assuming certain as he combined the HT Ref with the FSB move to 210 and what he says has a few holes in being ultra desciptive. So it may have been the FSB that showed red. I honetly don't know. If one is to overclock the RED means zero or don't overclock is what I usually surmise.
RGone...

I test with prime95, and sorry for the lack of a better description, but it was getting late, (or early depending on how you look at it.) I was getting some hardware failures and bsod. Rather then blame the RAM I think its all settings that I have to go back through and do when I am more awake, I was roughly following another post on the basic same setup a fx6300, etc. got in some new parts today, a new power supply, and some other goodies. The RAM I am using should be pretty good for this shouldn't it? I am thinking about order another 8gb of it, (4x2) even though use wise I haven't run into any issues but would like some more overhead as I grow this build.

I'll just give you a brief description of how I like to push my Cpu. What I will usually do when I start getting to higher overclocks is test prime blend for 20 minutes and keep upping the multiplier until it fails. Making sure the temps stay in line, 70 on the cpu and 60 on the package. Then I'll back down .5 and run prime 2 hours, add voltage accordingly if it fails at any point during those 2 hours. This will give you a point to fall back on when trying to reach for higher overclocks. I also try to only change one thing at a time. It can be very easy to lose your way when trying to do to many things at once. Having a known stable point helps greatly when you lose your way. What I will usually do after is start tweaking with the FSB but making sure I keep the NB, HT Link and Ram speed at as close to a constant as possible. After I find a 2 hour prime blend stability point I will then start messing with the Ht Link speed,NB freq and Ram speeds, and re run prime. It takes a lot of patience but it works for me.

As far as your ram I have had good success with G. Skill on my AMD platforms, though if you're planning on adding an additional 2 sticks you will be putting more strain on the memory IMC. Witch will probably cause instability with your overclock. You probably will not be able to overclock as high with 4 sticks of ram compared to 2.

AMD FX6300 @4.4 on air, suggestions?

Yep, one suggestion.....

Liquid Cooling.

You'll have a better OC @ 50c opposed to 60-70c and it'll be stable too.

Depending on what AIO kit you look at; preferably a 120.2 rad set up at minimum, it's worth every penny and usually mounts to multiple platforms too!

Do a little research before you buy though!

nice job so far. Numbers are looking good.

And well stated, mandrake. That's what overclocking is all about.

+1 to try cpu multi overclocking; additionally, keep your FSB OC profiles, its all about logging the time for finding the optimal overclock. Sometimes FSB overclocks have their advantages. But with the multi it can be easier to isolate the problem areas, since your NB or memory clocks are not involved.

OK that gives me a lot of room to work with, and thanks for the advice, on all of it and I think I will forgo the RAM right now as I really have no memory issues. so far heat hasn't been an issue with the 212 it runs up to 40 very fast, but then slows way down from there as the fans ramp up. I have been looking at liquid cooling but to be honest since everyone claims theirs is "best" its a jungle to sort out.
Now let me qualify why I am overclocking it at all, I am not a gamer, or folder, or video editor, I am old, and pushing the limits on these is what I have done since the old overclocking 386 involved changing the quartz crystal for a higher clock speed. I been away from the OCing for several years, and what dragged me back was the fact that a couple years ago even liquid cooling was considered on the edge and very extreme, and lets face it, the new hardware makes it so tempting with the unlocked chips and the mobo's that have the BIOS settings for it and the components to take the heat the power and turn it into performance....how can you refuse it?

O/S > Win7 Ultimate x64 Win Server 08 x64 Dual Boot = From you signature

CPUz Version 1.63.0. x32 = Why the 32bit when you have all 64 bit O/S?

I wonder if your HWMonitor and your CPUz are dated and of the wrong bit?

In addition I am looking at your Vcore in the HWMonitor shots and I think they are low for stability at around 4.6Ghz. I did a fair amount of testing with a loaner CPU from another forum member and the voltages I used "just to bench" are shown in the right hand pane of the image below. Now that was using *very good water* and not a mini-loop like H60, H80 or H100 or the like. Those were the max voltages shown in HWMonitor if memory is accurate, but I repeat those were benching Vcores and n0t P95 stable voltages as they are generally higher for sure. Benching takes about 0.06Vcore less than P95 stable does for me at least. And the CPU_LLC was fairly hefty at about 75% even on the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX mobo the on which the FX-6300 was tested by me the most.

All these FX processors have stair stepping VCore additions needed as the Mhz rises and the amount added or needing to be added jumps usually around 4.5Ghz. You just add a little for each 100Mhz until you reach about 4.5Ghz but the next 100Mhz increase in cpu speed takes a pretty healthy jump in Vcore.
RGone...

attachment.php

Man, either that 8350 is the exception to the rule or there is something I'm not taking into account like CPU/NB, because I'd never get anywhere near 5.4ghz at only 1.56 vcore....

tomigts effort

Went pretty well tonight, got the memory to respond well, and watched the cooling, it never got above 46c, not bad at all, its getting closer to my magic number.

I am investigating the liquid coolers,,,suggestions for the best would be helpful, I did get the 64 bit cpux-x64, but all in all I got to call this a nice swing at the mild overclcocking. Goal for me remains 4.5.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33.7 KB · Views: 709
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 757
  • capture3.PNG
    capture3.PNG
    18.6 KB · Views: 735
I run mine at 4444mhz currently with 1.4-ish Vcore (my mobo ain't the best), and it works flawlessly. So I think with your board and cooling, you could run it at 4.6 easy at 1.42V.
About considering a 8350, don't do it, the 6300 is a great chip that doesn't fall behind the 8350 in gaming (I assume that's what you're aiming at).

Man, either that 8350 is the exception to the rule or there is something I'm not taking into account like CPU/NB, because I'd never get anywhere near 5.4ghz at only 1.56 vcore....
OC, the Gonster has a really good H2O setup. In my experience with my chip, lower temps lower V core

Back