• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AND FX6300 @4.4 on air, suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks Dakz, that's why we keep coming here for the success stories such as yours. I see you still hang around the forums which is good, we can always use another to jump in and help out. :cheers:

You sir are a master of paitence and information and I would not be doing as well with this build without your input and guidance and that goes for all the rest as well. Your all steely eyed ion slayers in my book :clap:

Well for no real reason I did bump it up to 4.74 and seems to be the same, I did this by upping the multi only and its stable and about the same temp, so another step in the process. Was wondering after reading dome of the other threads if the 8350 makes that big a difference seem like several are running over the 5ghz mark. Thoughts?

Mr. Rgone did some extensive testing about the 8350 and performance at higher clocks. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724953&highlight=flatline

Personally I don't see the benefit in day to dayy computering to running this chip at that speed. I only run speeds like that for benchmarks, I've had it up to 5.469 for a quick run of Superpi but it was no where near stable. The voltages it need to remain stable at speeds like that would just wear down your CPU.

DAKz said:
Well for no real reason I did bump it up to 4.74 and seems to be the same, I did this by upping the multi only and its stable and about the same temp, so another step in the process. Was wondering after reading dome of the other threads if the 8350 makes that big a difference seem like several are running over the 5ghz mark. Thoughts?

DAKz, I think if you look very closely at the cpu mhz at the "levels" that I tested my FX-8350 thru in moving up the cpu mhz scale you will see that there are speeds/levels or whatever one would call them that seem to benefit performance *more* from being at that level. "Johan45" put a link to that FX-8350 testing thread I did some months ago and "ssjwizard" has an awesome thread along the very same lines of thought and testing. After a certain speed it is just not worth the heat and voltage and effort to try and run for extended periods with the AMD FX 8 core processors. At least in my opion after having run various fast speeds.

Johan45 said:
Mr. Rgone did some extensive testing about the 8350 and performance at higher clocks. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...light=flatline

Personally I don't see the benefit in day to dayy computering to running this chip at that speed. I only run speeds like that for benchmarks, I've had it up to 5.469 for a quick run of Superpi but it was no where near stable. The voltages it need to remain stable at speeds like that would just wear down your CPU.

Every point considered I would have to totally agree with "Johan", that some of the speeds we can attain for benches are pretty much useless for real world use of a system with FX 8 core cpu. There is a cpu speed that when reached, is just one big giant heater. Heat rolls off the VRMs and the cooling system has to be very good and running wide open all the time to remove the heat from the cpu and "then" remove it from the system case.

After getting my FX-8350 dialed in for video editting, I use 4.8Ghz. When editting starts the cpu goes to 4.8Ghz otherwise it idles and surfs the net at ~1700Mhz with less than 1.0Vcore. After a good 10mos with my FX-8350, I have found that just reaching a certain Mhz is about half the job done. These good Asus Sabertooth 990FX and CHV boards are so adjustable that they can be setup to run high speeds and also lower speeds for plain old computer use. It took me some heavy thinking and then a while to get the thoughts in my head to become reality. I am almost more pleased with the 1700Mhz at idle and jump to 4.8Ghz under load, than I am with being able to reach over 5.3Ghz for benching. Now don't get me wrong being able to do both is GREAT, but then adjusting for sensible usage day in and day out was a great treat and accomplishment as well.
Bobert...

Oh I have no problems with my 6 core or running it at 4.6, very happy with it....till I come here and see some of the scares and limits some are pushing their 8350's to. I do like the 6300 being a cooler chip by design and happy and proud of what its done.
I have ordered a couple peltiers and got a couple old systems laying about the shop I want to try some cooler designs on, I want to see if I can design a cooler that will be sub ambient without having to be sub zero, or being able to go right above the dew point to avoid the condensation issues. SO while I am waiting for the stuff to get here I read and study through all these threads, and as always I value your thoughts, thanks.

Good luck with that Dakz, keep us updated on your progress.

1.37v for 4.74? daaammmm thats very good...
I see lots of fx6300 that needs 1.45v for only 4.6ghz

This thread shows what my steps were to arrive at this, pretty detailed. I am running 1.375 for cpu and 1.25 for cpu/nb with a multi of 22.5

LOL but you asked for 4.4 thats a ways back before I went to liquid cooling, hows this work for ya?

Attachments

• Capture1956.PNG
    Capture1956.PNG
    24.4 KB · Views: 60
very good overclock.
What is the maximum vcore that HWMonitor reports when stressing the cpu?
thanks for the pic

the max vcore was the same as the earlier reports, the only change I did was to bump up the cpu/nb voltage one notch to allow a stable 4.63 and now the 4.74, johan45 was the one that guided me through it and the increase in temps for this voltage increase was enough to show me that I was at the end of the line for this build.

@ civictuga
If you're interested in OC'ing you system, I suggest you start a thread of your own.
First: even on the same equiptment it's not likely to just plug in someone elses settings and have it work for you
Second: If you're truly interested in Overclocking you'll get more help and learn alot along the way about your system.
I would also suggest you read this guide.

Back