• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Announcing Sandy/Ivy Superpi Challenge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What kind of temps swings are you getting for this? Load vs idle?

I am having an issue. When I am overclocking and doing a run, sometimes i will get a popup window that says some process has stopped, then gives me 1 minute then shuts windows down. I don't kow what the issue is. I just built this xp using nlite. It is pissing me off.

RAM Issue.

I damn near killed my CPU trying for 5.4ghz. 1.60v would not do it, 1.61v made my motherboard freak the #&@% out. First it told me my GPU's were not compatible with my motherboard, then it gave me CPU Fan Error's (which I disabled a long time ago). Then it would hang at the main Windows screen when booting. Then I tried to reset with optimized defaults and it still wouldn't work. Then I noticed it wasn't enabling all 4 cores in the BIOS, I only had 1 multiplier option and it wouldn't allow me to enable 4 cores. So I had to re-flash the BIOS that I luckily still had on a USB stick from when I updated yesterday.... So moral of the story. Do not give an IB 1.61v even if its @ 10C. o_O

This competition almost forced me to buy a 3970X lol...

What kind of temps swings are you getting for this? Load vs idle?

I am having an issue. When I am overclocking and doing a run, sometimes i will get a popup window that says some process has stopped, then gives me 1 minute then shuts windows down. I don't kow what the issue is. I just built this xp using nlite. It is pissing me off.

I forget what it was exactly, but @ 4.8ghz with 20C water, idle around 21-22C and full load in prime95 hovers around 50C

This may be apples to oranges but @ stock 3.9 im running prime95 right now and its max has been 25C in 30 min of run time... with 10C water.

If it makes you feel better, mine isn't overly interested in going >4.9GHz.

The highest stable I've been able to run so far is 4.8ghz with all cores and HT on. I need 1.31v to achieve this. I haven't really tried for much more, it's already far better than my 2600k was @ 5.1ghz

That's a nice chip, Pol.

Ps. For everyone for future reference, the vertical line is the key above "Enter," just press shift. |

very nice Polroger, you gonna make me use my last backup. any higher than this and I have to reload some form of windows.

Attachments

• ocf-6-786.jpg
    ocf-6-786.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 99
PolRoger|2600K|custom water|6.738

There is probably some room to improve my efficiency and I suppose a stripped down Windows install would help as well...

Attachments

• SuperPi 1m @55x 1600 crop.png
    SuperPi 1m @55x 1600 crop.png
    438.2 KB · Views: 100
As another note, if you take the time and multiply it by the MHz, you get the efficiency. That'll show you how tweaks and OS and stuff is working for you, without having to run at balls to the wall voltage for tweak testing.

As another note, if you take the time and multiply it by the MHz, you get the efficiency. That'll show you how tweaks and OS and stuff is working for you, without having to run at balls to the wall voltage for tweak testing.

Take the HWBot top times for SPi1M and do a compare...

#1: 5.094 @ 7043MHz = 35,877.042 Efficiency.
#2: 5.140 @ 7023MHz = 36,098.22 Efficiency.

And now look at OCF's best time...
#53: 5.500 @ 6556.9MHz = 36,062.95 Efficiency.

You may notice that the efficiency on OCF's run is better than the efficiency on the #2 run... That means that if Matt (I.M.O.G) were to find a chip that could do about 7010MHz; he could take the #2 spot in the world for Spi1M. Must feel good knowing that you're better at Spi than Andre Yang; huh Matt?... :clap:

very nice Polroger. that is right about at my best ever with the 2600k, dont know if I can equal that- so may have some work and risk coming. I will have to break out a new os if I can match you. great work and sweet chip. 56x on ambient is crazy nice

Yup.
Back in the days of FSB it was more directly comparable, as raising FSB 10% would scale almost exactly 10% on the score, as everything went up 10%.
Now however only the CPU does, ram speed stays the same.
The result is that, generally speaking, the higher the CPU clock the lower the efficiency.

Back