• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any heatsink better than the Evo 212 for around the same price?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firesoul453

Is there any heatsink better than the Evo 212 yet? Like under $50?

I have an amd fx 8350 and have been using the stock cooler but it's too loud. I had been planning on overclocking sometime in the future so I might as well go ahead and buy a heatsink to be able to.

The evo 212 Semmes like the one to beat and since it can he had for like $30 I am wondering what If I could do better as long as it's under $50

The only other topics that asked this that I could find were from. 2013 or earlier

Thanks!

Two that were recommended to me were.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118074

And

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214023

But I'm not convinced either is actually better at cooling.

Any recommendations? I'd like a 4.5ghz overclock. But I'm. Definitely not going to spend $100 more to do it.

Edit: I now have a PH-TC12DX

Last edited:
Dang atm you are always on top of it.

I don't know why I didn't think about used since I buy almost everything used.

Is there anything to worry about if I get it used? Like the fans being almost worn out? If I had to replace the fans soon that would cost almost as much as new.

Thanks!!

Heh, the day I worry about a Noctua fan wearing out will be the day we call you icesoul instead of firesoul :p

I bought mine used, ran it for ~2 years, still have it now.

Ah ok great! Your advice is always a lot better than the Tom's hardware forum! This is probably what I'll end up doing.
As usual I owe you ine

The Zalman you linked wont beat out the CM 212. IF you can fine a Noctua NH-D14 or Phanteks TC-PH14PE for that price, than thats the way to go.

An option if you can't find a used one in your price range is to replace the fans on your 212 with better ones.

Thanks for the suggestions

How would a CORSAIR Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition Water / Liquid CPU Cooler
Compare?

It looks like it's pretty cheap too. If it is better is there any weird stuff I need to know with a water cooler?

The H55 wouldn't keep up with the 212 EVO, and can't hold a candle to the D14.

Cheap AIOs are a waste of money at best.

Well I don't have a Evo 212 since I used that money towards and 8350 over the 8320.

But I ordered a NH d14!

I agree with swapping the fan on the 212. That's what I did and it handles a 6 core no problem.

Most heatsinks are not restrictive enough to benefit much from doubling up fans. The only exceptions I have seen are long, compact heatsinks used in 1U servers.

Good choice. You likely won't be able to hear it over your GPU.
That would be awesome! Right now I can't hear my Gpu fan over that dang amd stock cooler.
You'll love it!
I hope so. It was $55 so definitely more than the $35 Evo buy sounds like it will be worth it.
I agree with swapping the fan on the 212. That's what I did and it handles a 6 core no problem.

Most heatsinks are not restrictive enough to benefit much from doubling up fans. The only exceptions I have seen are long, compact heatsinks used in 1U servers.

My friend bought an evo 212 I'll mention to him that a better Dan might be worth it.

Please stop comparing apples to oranges. Your 6 core is an ice cube compared to an 8350 that's pushing the limits.

Back