• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any heatsink better than the Evo 212 for around the same price?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 3930k has a TDP of 130W while the 8350 only has a TDP of 125W. Does the 8350 have a similar issue to the Ivy Bridge chips?

The 3930k has a TDP of 130W while the 8350 only has a TDP of 125W. Does the 8350 have a similar issue to the Ivy Bridge chips?

There's a difference there: The 3930K hasn't been known to pull in excess of 300W.
Please, when comparing heatsink performance, keep it to the same manufacturer at the very least.

Good call and good suggestion Atminside! An Evo wouldn't get you very far on an 8350, even with the fans replaced!

Depends on the chip :shrug: 212 is doing WAY more than I expected on my 8320 (yeah yeah its not an "8350", but its been running at 4.5+ 24/7 for months now). I would LIKE to get a better cooler for one reason only -> SOUND. I have two fans on it, and it's obscenely loud all the time lol. :shock:

while the 8350 only has a TDP of 125W.
NiHaoMike, that TDP is laughable. At stock settings maybe, it's a 125w chip. Take off the turbo boost and OC it on all 8 cores and it's drawing a whole lot more.
Depends on the chip 212 is doing WAY more than I expected on my 8320 (yeah yeah its not an "8350", but its been running at 4.5+ 24/7 for months now). I would LIKE to get a better cooler for one reason only -> SOUND. I have two fans on it, and it's obscenely loud all the time lol.
Bob no difference between a 8320 and a 8350 at 4.5. Though trying to be practical running high speed fans at 100% just to keep it cool isn't my idea of a user friendly rig. I have tested my 8350 with a Prolimatech Megahalems and could do 4.6 daily with a pair of Scythe Slipstreams 110 cfm on it but again listening to fans that loud isn't my cup of tea.

but again listening to fans that loud isn't my cup of tea.

Same here.
I never heard my D14 on the FX-6300 at any point.
That heatsink never broke a sweat benching the 6300 at 5.0GHz+ or running daily between 4.6 and 4.8GHz.

What's funny about the D14 is it comes with a low noise adapter to reduce the fan speed to quiet it down even more. It's just not neccesary. With my HD7950 idling it's louder than the NH-D14.

What's funny about the D14 is it comes with a low noise adapter to reduce the fan speed to quiet it down even more. It's just not neccesary. With my HD7950 idling it's louder than the NH-D14.

I never understood that either :rofl:

Mine ran the 140mm off a 12V line and the 120mm off the CPU_FAN header with voltage control. Once the side panel goes on, the minimal noise from it simply disappears.

Just ran an unscientific test with my Kill O watt meter. At my daily OC settings of 4.7 @ 1.46 Cpu V with power saving features on. Idle watts drawn 150w, running prime 95 for 20 minutes avg draw 380W. This is with a Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000w psu.

Just ran an unscientific test with my Kill O watt meter. At my daily OC settings of 4.7 @ 1.46 Cpu V with power saving features on. Idle watts drawn 150w, running prime 95 for 20 minutes avg draw 380W. This is with a Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000w psu.

I'd say probably 280W at the wall is the CPU alone, and that's not even with you pushing it o_O

Here's a screen shot of it being pushed. Cpu at 5.2 and my GTX 580 lightning overclocked running heaven and prime 95 at the same time. No it's not a realistic test but it is amazing how much power these Cpu's will draw when OCed. Figure the Lightning Oced is tops 300w and maybe 150w from the rest of the system? Yes that 827w from the wall.
View attachment 145670

Last edited:
Depends on the chip :shrug: 212 is doing WAY more than I expected on my 8320 (yeah yeah its not an "8350", but its been running at 4.5+ 24/7 for months now). I would LIKE to get a better cooler for one reason only -> SOUND. I have two fans on it, and it's obscenely loud all the time lol. :shock:

If you can get a stable 4.5 on an 8320 with an Evo 212 I wonder what I'll be able to do with an 8350 and NH d14!

Also had a quick question. Apparently the NH d14 comes with an adapter to plug both fans into the CPU fan port. Do those adapters let any fan both pull their full power needed to run at max speed? Or do they run slower because of it? I might buy one of those for an extra case fan but I won't bother unless the fan would be able to run at its full potential.

If you can get a stable 4.5 on an 8320 with an Evo 212 I wonder what I'll be able to do with an 8350 and NH d14!
An 8350 at 4.5 is the same as a 8320 at 4.5, it all depends on the chip but it should be able to do it with no problem. It also depends on the motherboard you have. You should set up a signature!

An 8350 at 4.5 is the same as a 8320 at 4.5, it all depends on the chip but it should be able to do it with no problem. It also depends on the motherboard you have. You should set up a signature!

Well I was told whatever the 8320 could do the 8350 could do better. But if I can get an 4.6 overclock I'd probably be happy.

Well I was told whatever the 8320 could do the 8350 could do better. But if I can get an 4.6 overclock I'd probably be happy.
It all depends on the chip from what I've seen yes some 8350's will Oc higher then a 8320 but if at the same clock speed they are equal.

It all depends on the chip from what I've seen yes some 8350's will Oc higher then a 8320 but if at the same clock speed they are equal.

My understanding is that 8320s are 8350s that didn't make the cut in terms of quality. Similar to how my r9 290 is a 290x that didn't make the cut. I also did get an 8320 and buy an Evo 212 to overclock it but I figured I'd get the better chip and overclock later. Especially since microcenter had the 8350's for only $160.

...Do those adapters let any fan both pull their full power needed to run at max speed? Or do they run slower because of it?

The low noise adapters that come with the Noctuas reduce the speed of the fan to make them quieter.

EDIT: img added

Attachments

• noctua.JPG
    noctua.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 65
My understanding is that 8320s are 8350s that didn't make the cut in terms of quality. Similar to how my r9 290 is a 290x that didn't make the cut. I also did get an 8320 and buy an Evo 212 to overclock it but I figured I'd get the better chip and overclock later. Especially since microcenter had the 8350's for only $160.
You're probably correct that a 8320 is a lesser chip as far as quality goes, as a 8350 but most 8320 and 8350's will get you to 4.5 that I've seen. It is also very dependent on the board it's on. That said when really pushing to extremes on ambient cooling, it's likely that a 8350 will OC higher.

You're probably correct that a 8320 is a lesser chip as far as quality goes, as a 8350 but most 8320 and 8350's will get you to 4.5 that I've seen. It is also very dependent on the board it's on. That said when really pushing to extremes on ambient cooling, it's likely that a 8350 will OC higher.

I have a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 which I was also told would be good at overclocking.
I have high hopes!

Back