• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any heatsink better than the Evo 212 for around the same price?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What fans are you running Bob?

Coolermaster sickleflows. Not the best, certainly not the most quiet, but does the job well and Im wearing headphones most of the time anyway. I would very much like a water cooling loop at some point, but I will wait until the 6 core intels drop in price before I approach that type of thing. However, with the replacement fans, thats approaching the noctua cooler prices, so YMMV.

Well I was told whatever the 8320 could do the 8350 could do better. But if I can get an 4.6 overclock I'd probably be happy.

That's probably accurate, but I probably just have a good 8320. If I wanted to, I can tune mine all the way up to 5.1ghz, where I've seen some 8350's cap out at 4.7; just all depends on the chip.. Heat becomes a problem at that point though, and I don't like running electronics 100% all the time. Besides, I can't tell a difference between 4.5 and 5.0. Now, 3.5 to 4.5 is a lovely improvement though.

My motherboard is Rev 4.

But you can get 5ghz on an Evo 212? Just wondering because I wanna know what might be possible.

All chips are different, but not likely on air. For a 24/7 rig you'll probably end up in the 4.3-4.5Ghz range. From what I've seen you need to push alot of volts to reach the 5.0Ghz mark and for an everyday set-up the extra volts/heat just aren't worth it. Plus the fact that there is very little if any noticable diference from 4.5-5.0Ghz.

My motherboard is Rev 4.

But you can get 5ghz on an Evo 212? Just wondering because I wanna know what might be possible.
5 Ghz for a daily driver is unnecessary, unless you are doing some "real work" on it. I could run 5.1 on my rig as I have it stable at that clock speed, though I do not choose to run it there. The performance gains compared to the voltage necessary to run it there, to me, just doesn't make sense. That said I have never seen a Fx 8350 come through this forum that could run a daily over clock "stable", ie at least 2 hours prime blend, on anything other then big water.

Suggestion to anyone buying something used. DO NOT buy things from Amazon Warehouse Deals. They canceled my order saying it was out of stock. There are a bunch and they are still in Stock they just raised the price. Even though Amazon Warehouse Deals is part of Amazon, amazon told me there is nothing they can do to honor the price.

For $60 for a NH d14 would I just be better off getting a $37 Evo 212?

Ya I looked on on eBay first but the ones that got down to the last day jumped up in price. I might be able to get a good deal idk I wish I had more patience lol.
Here's another option, if you're still looking. Lenny reviewed the Thermalright True Spirit 140 HSF and it out performed the Noctua NH-D14. I have no experience with it but it looks pretty good.

Superbiiz has it for $39.99USD.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. That one is discontinued brand the replacement model kooks like it's been out of stock.

Amazon did give me credit to make up the difference so I did go ahead an re ord3r it. I'm still pretty pissed at Amazon. Idk I'm just going to get it and go for it. From what I've been told it comes with some of the best thermal paste around!

The NT-H1 that comes with it is very good, I use it for anything "performance" oriented. (read: anything that'll be overclocked)

My "normal" equipment gets the turkey baster full of Artic Silver Ceramique2 though.

Well amazon screws me over once again. To get the price reduction they have to charge my card twice and refund the first charge (i have no idea why).

So I got the item and its missing the mounts you need to connect it to the board! So much for including all accessories....
Now I have to order it a 3rd time and they have to charge twice again for it! And I have to return this giant thing.

I shouldnt have to order something 3 times to get it.

If this doesnt work out I'll just buy something off newegg.

Sorry for complaining so much before.
Unfortunately the Nh-d14 didn't work out. (In terms of ebay, I'll keep my eye on it and other stuff but every one I've looked at an item it hit $60+ near the end of the auction. Also tried some best offers but didn't work out)

For the record I have an AMD fx 8350.

So I am currently looking at just getting the
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.
I'd probably be happy with it if I added a fan, but questions

Does it come with the mounts for a second fan in addition to the first? The picture shows mounts in the accessories but I am not sure if thats for the supplied fans or if its for a second one.

What fan should I get? Or should I replace both? I definitely don't want it to be too loud but you know its gotta move that air. Noctura fans are probably too expensive.

If it do get a second fan where do i get the cables to plug both into the cpu fan spot? I don't even know what those are called.

Would it be worth spending $5-$6 on better thermal paste? Such as NT-H1 thermal paste or similar?

But I am also looking at other heatsinks

If it am spending $10-$20 on extra fans and stuff anyway (so my total would be reaching close to $40-$50 anyway) these might be a better deal.

How do these compare?

looks like I might be able to get a
Phanteks PH-TC12DX for like $50
It comes with two fans so if its a better heatsink its probably worth it.

Another
ThermalTake NiC F4
Its about $40

Another is
Thermaltake CLP0596 130mm Frio
Its $52 so its a few $ beyond the $50 target but not a huge deal.
According to this list
http://frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2770&page=5
its much better than evo

According to this list
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
it beats the nh-d14

but I am not sure this is even the same frio these are talking about.
Or that these lists are accurate.

Any thoughts and suggestions?
As always thank you all.

I would get the Phanteks over the 212 EVO in a heartbeat.

The mounting system on the 212 EVO is terrible, especially when compared to Phanteks or Noctua.

Very true. I'm not suggesting that one over the noctua either. It was just a review that I read that placed it above Noctua for more than half the price. What I didn't like about the review was that he didn't use the original fans.

Other reviews get very different results for the True Spirit 140 Power than did Lenny's:

http://www.play3r.net/reviews/thermalright-true-spirit-140-power-review/8/

It doesn't even come close to the Noctua D14 in this one.

My biggest gripe about the Noctua D14 (and I'm running one right now) is that it's difficult to clean that front stack. It's hard to get a compressor air gun at a good angle in that small space between the two stacks.

I would get the Phanteks over the 212 EVO in a heartbeat.

The mounting system on the 212 EVO is terrible, especially when compared to Phanteks or Noctua.

I definitely like the looks of it too. I'll probably end up with this.

Newegg just posted their sale today. Still just a bit above your price rance but pretty darn close.

New Noctua NH-D14 for $70.

EDIT: Use promo code EMCPCPG47

Ya my processor was only $160 so I really don't wanna spend that much. Thanks though!

One question about the PH-TC12DX.
The amd kit looks like it has to point the fans blowing up instead of out the back. While this is fine for airflow this cooler looks like it sits low. If its sideways would it sit above ram? My ram has at heatsink but not one that extends past the ram. But I definitly want to use all 4 ram slots in the future.
Would this heatsink be tall enough?

Back